News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The South African Constabulary (SAC) - 1900 to 1908

SAC BADGES,INSIGNIA AND BUTTONS FROM MY COLLECTION

This force was established in October, 1900 after it was incorrectly judged that the Anglo-Boer war was over. The SAC served in operations in the field until the conclusion of the war in 1902. They then took over the policing of the Orange Free Sate, Transvaal and Swaziland. In April 1908, the SAC merged with the Transvaal and OFS police. This force was initially formed by Major-General Baden-Powell of the siege of Mafeking and Boy Scout fame. Recruiting was done in the Cape Colony, Natal, the United Kingdom and Canada. Selections standards were very high and this resulted in a very competent force being formed. The Constabulary suffered heavy losses during the Boer War with 9 Officers and 85 men being killed in action. They also had 2 Victoria Crosses awarded to their members.

Hello, and thanks for Posting this collection of SAC items.

I have a significant group (SAC - WW1 (MC) and post war items (VD)) to a Canadian who finished up a Colonel and who served in the SAC from 1901 to 1908, then returned to Canada. I have added a badge and title to the group for display.

It is nice to see a complete array of insignia.

Cheers,

Gary

• 2 years later...

Nice to see the medical section badge with the red cross. I bought a slouch hat one the other day - but,

thay become rarer all the time. Makes a lovely display.

I hope all is well with you - thought of you yesterday when I bought a nice 7 medal group which included Sudan 1898

and had the Khedives - bars were Atbara and Khartoum. Will post next week. Mervyn

• 1 year later...

I wonder how many SAC Medals slip through the SAC collectors hands because they are not named to that unit. I purchased a two bar CC/OFS QSA mainly because I noticed on the service papers that the man concerned had lived a few Streets from where I live. The medal is named to 181 Trooper W.S. Roberts Loch's Horse. The medal was accompanied by two SAC badges which was a bit puzzling but, later scrutiny of the said papers revealed that Trooper Roberts was entitled to a Transvaal and SA 1901 bar for service with the SAC.

Thanks Mike,

I know exactly what you mean had the same problems myself over the years what with that and split groups, its a trial. On that vein and bearing in mind where you are, I have had for many years a single British War Medal to Lt. Macagy MC MM of the Canadian Forces which a Liverpool City Policeman gave me on his return to the LCP from the Calgary Police. A Very Very Very Long shot but if you see the missing ones I'm your man.

Regards

Peter

• 6 years later...
    37 minutes ago, QSAMIKE said:

I would say yes...…   Just take a look in the ABW site and search Constabulary...…  Mike

Thanks Mike!!!

In layman's terms whats the difference in roles between, the SAC, BSA Police & Natal Police, during the Boer War? 

8 minutes ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Thanks Mike!!!

In layman's terms whats the difference in roles between, the SAC, BSA Police & Natal Police, during the Boer War? 

The SAC was originally formed to be a national police force just like the Royal Canadian Mounted Police but it did not work out that way due to many many reasons...…  BSAP were mostly used in Rhodesia and of course the Natal Police in Natal......

There is a book written by Jim Wallace called No Colours No Drums which is the history of the Canadians in the SAC after all the 2nd in Command was Sam B. Steele, ex N.W.M.P and CO of Strathcona's Horse......

Mike

2 hours ago, QSAMIKE said:

The SAC was originally formed to be a national police force just like the Royal Canadian Mounted Police but it did not work out that way due to many many reasons...…  BSAP were mostly used in Rhodesia and of course the Natal Police in Natal......

There is a book written by Jim Wallace called No Colours No Drums which is the history of the Canadians in the SAC after all the 2nd in Command was Sam B. Steele, ex N.W.M.P and CO of Strathcona's Horse......

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Have discovered I had this book in my library, not read it before (had it years) will give it a blast hopefully it'll give me a bit of an insight into the BSA Police's role in the campaign. 

Mafeking.jpg