News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unfortunately these have been very accurately faked. Made, I believe in the UK. I believe at one point you could buy them at the souvenir shop at HMS Belfast, along with modern copies iof the HMS Belfast tally. The problem with the fake Scharnhorst tallies was that they were of the wrong length (way too short) and in the same way as British tallies, the lettering was not centered so that if you laid the tally out there was more "blank" ribbon on one side of the lettering than the other.

A lot of German made fake Scharnhorst tallies have the wrong style of "s" in the word Schlacht s chiff , but these British made pieces had the correct style of lettering and an accurate weave pattern. For that reason a lot of them were I believe, shortened even further to even up the amount of ribbon either side of the lettering and passed of as "cut down" originals.

Impossible to say for sure from the photos of this one. Do you know if it is full length ? If it is, then it has a chance of being good.

Safest ones to buy are examples which are full length with the correct style lettering and in gold wire weave rather than celleon.

Hi Peter ,

In that case, I'd give it a miss. I'd never trust a cut down one of this type.

I'd take a cut down example in wire weave as I've never seen a convincing fake of one of these, but with the type you illustrated I'd only ever accept a full length one. (anywhere between 48-58 inches)

Gordon is correct in that the Belfast tally can make you very uncomfortable. I have attached one of them to this post. The ends are different lengths in accordance with the HMS style of cap ribbon and how it was tied, unlike the German which had equal ends.

However, I think you stand a good chance that this is a cotton period example. The problem is that at 55 cm, its value is greatly diminished. I like to see them at 110 and above.

Gordon is also correct in that to be 100% sure, we would need to see it at 110 cms and above vice cut down.

What price is the seller asking?

John

Edited by John Robinson

Thanks Gordon...appreciate the help. BTW...are the originals hard to find

Peter

It did not used to be that hard to find but now it is. You need to stay on German ebay to find them. Three versions, cotton, cellon and gold wire. John

To explain a bit, I am looking at the faint dots on the front of the tally around the letters. This is a characteristic of KM tallies made in cotton. The thread looks like cotton also of course, not cellon and certainly not gold wire. John

To explain a bit, I am looking at the faint dots on the front of the tally around the letters. This is a characteristic of KM tallies made in cotton. The thread looks like cotton also of course, not cellon and certainly not gold wire. John

Hi John...thanks for the input....I paid ?120 for the tally on the understanding I could forum it for some opinions, I've already been in touch with the dealer to send it back...so no problem there. I've found a Gold wire example which I think I'll go for.

Problem is I can't compare this one too the Belfast repro.

One other comment on this cap tally is it looks rather new.....

KR..Peter

Edited by Peter Baillie

The other thing is if the ribbon itself is very light, very delicate. The cellon and wire types have a much stiffer ribbon to support the heavier weight thread.

Sounds like a Belfast to me though at this point.

• 3 years later...
    • 4 months later...