News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Ethiopian ribbon bar: @ 1945

Ulsterman

Imperial Ethiopian awards are fascinating.

The tasty tidbit below is superbly made-of a weaving, hand-made quality that hasn't been seen in Europe since Disraeli was prime Minister. Each thread on this ribbon bar is INDIVIDUALLY wrapped tight around the bar and tied off in sequence and reinforced by a cotton backing. I have never seen anything quite like it. It's almost minty.

The medals are the campaign medal for 1935-41, the exile refugees' medal,the British war medal and British Africa Star.

The Ethiopian awards were promulgated in late 1944 and issued in 1945 to standing troops under command of the God-Emperor, Hailee Selassie. Given the quality of the piece, this was almost certainly worn by a very tough man from a warrior, aristocratic family. If I had to bet money, the son of a Ras-or "Duke". Notable is the lack of any Orders or bravery medals, which were commonly handed out to senior (as in age and social status:it was a cultural aspect of Ethiopian society at the time) commanders and persons who had done particularly exceptional acts of bravery/merit.

In studying the chaos that was the Italian-Ethiopian war, it is clear that many of these young men fought wars that would have made Rider Haggard's hair stand on end.

It is not uncommon to read of ambushes of Italian patrols lead by young clan chiefs wearing 400 year old chain-mail and lion robes, brandishing scimitars and Lee Enfields and closing in at a run down rocky defiles as the Italians fired away with machine guns. It was somewhat akin to Scottish Highlanders, in full cry and almost inevitably, if the ground was well chosen, the Ethiopians got in amongst the Italian firing line and hand-to-hand combat ensued unlike anything seen in the West since Edgehill or Prestonpans. Italians memoirs are replete with the horror that these encounters: "Carlos' head was split in half by an screaming (racist term), like a ripe tomato. Then he cut Paulo in half -sideways. They were wearing black armour, white trousers and had bare feet. I ran away as fast as I could" to paraphrase one Italian account.

The Anglo-Ethiopian army spent the years 1941-44 eliminating the Italian remnants in the Empire (inc. Eritrea) and harassing Vichy forces in Djibouti.

After 1944 the imperial army spent its time eliminating bandits and competing local Rasta's militias (some of whom had collaborated with the Italians). They consolidated imperial power around the throne and began the painful process of modernization of what had been a medieval society, complete with fiefs, slaves, feudal courts, Monastic power and feudal Lords warring amongst each other.

This ribbon represents that era of imperial political consolidation.

Edited by Ulsterman

This Bar along with the corresponding full sized medals were sold to one buyer by myself a little over a year ago. It's a shame that they've been split. see here:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31666

Hmm taking a second look there seem to be some slight differences perhaps another of the same mans bar???

Cheers

Chris

Edited by censlenov

I checked yours before I bought/posted this one. They are similar and possibly made by the same person. Odds are they once stood near each other on the same parade ground in Addis.

This came directly from Ethiopia-and made my postladies day (it was her first Ethiopian parcel in her 20 year career).

Edited by Ulsterman

Just as an aside, some Egyptian ribbon bars from the 1970s-1990s used a similar method of construction -- thick colored thread or yarn glued onto metal bars. See the Egyptian ribbon bars postings on the Middle East forum. The Egyptian ones, however, mostly look TERRIBLE -- this one is beautiful by comparison!

Ed / Chris,

Similar ribbon bars for Yemen, KSA, UAE and usually covered with a thin sheet of clear polythene.

Here in Riyadh are now available plastic moulded ribbon bars - the CO British Military Mission has some for his UK awards when wearing National Guard uniform - his OBE is very bright pink and when queried by Saudi collegues on the necessity/suitabilty of "pink" ribbon this is explained and understood when they are told it is from the Queen - "Ah, if it is from the Queen then pink is OK!"

Owain

Edited by oamotme