News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Medals

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

The following is my growing collection of South African Medals.

A. Group attributed to Christian Smith comprising of 1939-45 Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, Defense Medal, War Medal and African Service Medal. All engraved with C305411 C. SMITH.

1.Medal Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

5. Come with several pages of research. I can't get big enough scans to fit on the pages to read with alowed sizing. I'll attach this one which shows his medal entitlement.

Guest Darrell

B. Single South Africa WW2 Service Medal - Named to M17257 P.SMITH (scanned the engraving a few years back - not very clear).

Guest Darrell

C. WW1 Victory Medal - Named to PTE. J.J.M. MARAIS. 11TH S.A.I.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Darrel,

If you want to get your SA groups researched send me a PM for an excellent researcher who makes a great presentation.

:beer: Doc

Rhino Research? ;)

Guest Darrell

This one arrived today. Issued un-named which is rather unusual considering most other South African Medals issued in WW2 were.

Obverse:

The South African Medal for War Services was issued for voluntary and unpaid services in one or more of the officially recognized voluntary organizations in the Union of South Africa during the Second World War. Because the medals were issued unnamed, a certificate accompanied the award to confirm the recipient's eligibility. This is an example of this certificate that I have in my collection. I have her complete medal entitlement as well. The recipient served in the Voluntary Aid Detachment in England during World War One and moved to South Africa at the end of the War. She continued her services in the Red Cross before and during the Second World War.

Hi Darrell,

No, as with all paperwork, they did not seem to last. The lady in question also received a WW1 Red Cross commendation. If there is interest, I will post her items as a seperate thread, I also have a portrait photo of her.

Regards,

Will

Guest Darrell

Col. Graham Du Toit provides an excellently package complete research.

:beer: Doc

Thanks. I've used someone that lives in the UK that makes many frequent stops in SA. She actually sent the research before I even had a chance to send the money :speechless1:

And .. she had never heard from me before. If anyone else is interested send me a PM for details.

Thanks.

Edited by Darrell