News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is an item I inherited from my mother who said an 'old boyfriend' gave it to her! It is a silver propelling pencil with 'Bookstall HMS Hood GPO London' engraved on it.

Was there actually a bookstall on the ship for souvenirs? Could anybody buy these or were they for crew members only?

Any help much appreciated.

Hi, I have never come across an item like this before but I have only managed to find one reference to this pencil, perhaps you would be able to contact the Hood Association through their site for more details? An educated guess would be that the bookstall was on the ship for buying related memorabilia to send to loved ones. Much the way servicemen can buy ships/unit crested zippo lighters from the NAAFI..

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/today3.htm

Edited by Simon F

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this thread and thought I would add this scan of page one of a four page letter from a crew member of HMS Hood written in 1923. As can be seen the paper is headed HMS Hood c/o GPO London which ties in with the inscription on the pencil. Again I wonder if this paper was issued or available for purchase aboard the ship?