News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Striped Tiger Order : which are the colours of the 3rd class ribbon ?

lilo

Hi Everyone,

I look for your help to exactly establish, in regards of the Striped Tiger Order, which are the colours of the 3rd class ribbon ?

I know that the central large stripe colour is : (+ or - dark) green;

I have seen the two edge stripes in red, violet, and ligth red/rose colours.

What I'm trying to establish is the correct colour of the 'two edge stripes'.

Hoping that someone can give me the answer

Best Regards

Lilo

Hi Everyone,

I look for your help to exactly establish, in regards of the Striped Tiger Order, which are the colours of the 3rd class ribbon ?

Best Regards

Lilo

Hi Everyone,

Best Regards

Lilo

Hi Everyone,

Best Regards

Lilo

Sorry for the muck ups couldn't seem to type a reply on your message. Red outer stripes with a very watery green centre, see ANS 3 where we had a virtual set of them. Also the third class badge is the only piece of insignia worn as a neckbadge, the Second is worn as a sash badge, while the fourth is worn as a breast badge.

All the best,

Paul

Sorry for the muck ups couldn't seem to type a reply on your message. Red outer stripes with a very watery green centre, see ANS 3 where we had a virtual set of them. Also the third class badge is the only piece of insignia worn as a neckbadge, the Second is worn as a sash badge, while the fourth is worn as a breast badge.

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your help.

You say me to see 'ANS 3' but what is this ? Can you post a link please ?

Many Thanks

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your help.

You say me to see 'ANS 3' but what is this ? Can you post a link please ?

Many Thanks

Lilo

wwwmortonandeden.com. and follow the links. 26 April 2007. The plates are seperate in J Peg form. I just tried accessing it without much difficulty.

All the best,

Paul

The "Tigers" in the Mohler Collection at Stanford have the following ribbon/sash colors:

First Class Grand Cordon: Sash is Cream or light beige with turquoise edge stripes.

Second Class sash is gold/yellow with turquoise edge stripes.

Third Class is Dark green with purple edge stripes.

Fourth Class is 38mm dark green with 7mm red edge stripes

Fifth Class is 38mm dark green with 7mm red edge stripes

Sixth Class is 38mm Deep blue with two white stripes

Seventh Class is 38mm Deep blue with two white stripes

Eighth Class is 38mm Deep Blue with two white stripes

Ninth Class is Dark green with 7mm red edge stripes.

Hi Ed:

It appears to be ~40mm wide.

This is one of my favorite Orders.

Dick

Hi Dick,

Thank you for your posting but we returned to the starting point : what are the exact colours for the 3rd class ribbon of the Striped Tiger Order ??

As always stated the central colour seems to be the green (watered or darker) but what is the correct colour for the edge stripes : the 'red' or the 'purple' ??

Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hi Dick,

Thank you for your posting but we returned to the starting point : what are the exact colours for the 3rd class ribbon of the Striped Tiger Order ??

As always stated the central colour seems to be the green (watered or darker) but what is the correct colour for the edge stripes : the 'red' or the 'purple' ??

Red, the examples of the ANS were acquired fairly contemporarily to their issue.

Paul

Regards

Lilo

Hi Paul / Richard,

Many thanks both for your answers but we are always to the starting point : red or dark purple ?

Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

I did some deep research and found an article written by James W. Peterson and Harry Mohler in the June 18th, 1962 edition of "The Medal Collector".

The following is an excerpt from the article:

THE ORDER OF THE STRIPED TIGER OF THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA

bY James W. Peterson and Harry Mohler

"19. Sash, Cravat and Ribbon

(A)> Color - First Class Grand Cordon sash is red with yellow edges.

Second Class Grans Cordon sash is 83mm, canary yellow with 15mm dark green edges, or light yellow with light green edges.

Third Class Cravat and 4th - 6th Class Breast Ribbons are 35mm to 38mm, watered, green with 6mm - 7mm RED EDGES, varying in

shade.

The 7th - 9th Classes are most commonly found on a dark blue ribbon with white sidestripes, but other specimens have a white ribbon

with red outer/blue inner edges."

I hope this helps to clarify the red magenta purple red stripe.

Dick

Thanks, Dick. I had distantly remembered that piece, but (between a nasty divorce where some JOMSA back issues were lost and a current-house flood where many back issues were lost) I couldn't find it. The "varying in shade" (as you suggest) may be the key? And the Peterson and Mohler work was first-rate; a shame it didn't proceed.

Interesting. The British 2nd Afghan War medal ribbon (per BB&M, mine are in off-site storage just now :( ) is "32 mm, green with crimson edge stripes". But just what does "crimson" mean?? Such descriptions are alwaya an issue!

Can we really expect too much consistency from these ribbons, especially after all these years of vairaible fading??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Thanks, Dick. I had distantly remembered that piece, but (between a nasty divorce where some JOMSA back issues were lost and a current-house flood where many back issues were lost) I couldn't find it. The "varying in shade" (as you suggest) may be the key? And the Peterson and Mohler work was first-rate; a shame it didn't proceed.

Interesting. The British 2nd Afghan War medal ribbon (per BB&M, mine are in off-site storage just now :( ) is "32 mm, green with crimson edge stripes". But just what does "crimson" mean?? Such descriptions are alwaya an issue!

Can we really expect too much consistency from these ribbons, especially after all these years of vairaible fading??

Exactly! You hit it square on the head! What is red? Well it certainly can be crimson. Magenta or a time tempered shade therof.

Sorry about your loss of those precious back issues. It used to be that you could request a copy from the back issue honcho.

I was so surprised to find that article which was written by two great hard hitting collectors. Both of them had a set of Striped Tigers to fall back on for research. It was interesting to read about the 9th Class Order. The Striped Tigers in my collection all have the reddish edge stripe but they are all about a century old. I do not know of any other order of Chinese or Japanese medal that has nine classes. Maybe I should submit the whole article but would imagine that there are many collectors that have it in their files.

Dick

Maybe I should submit the whole article but would imagine that there are many collectors that have it in their files.

Hi All,

Finally it seems that this little mistery was solved !

Richard

In regards of the submission of the artiche, I surely have not it so I greatly appreciate - if you want - that you post it here.

Carol I

For the records here, Can you remember which class is the Striped Tiger Order attribuited to General Constantin Stefanescu Amza ?

As an aside, May I ask you to answer a similar question about the colours used for the ribbon of another Chinese Order (Brilliant Star) with particular riferiment to the Grand Cordon class ?

You can see my post at: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33354

I suspect that two different types of ribbon were used for this Order but would like to establish - as precisely as possible - an exact date for the change of the pattern.

Richard

Any entry about this, in the article by James W. Peterson and Harry Mohler you mentioned in the previous post ??

Paul Wood ???

All the Best

lilo

Edited by lilo