News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Purchased these with the intent to resell. But i cannot part with them. I expect these to stay in my collection for ever.

The yser medal (black-red ribbon)is possibly my favorite medal.

Afther the fighting around the forts of Liege, afther the fighting around Antwerp, the tired and blooded divisions pulled back towards the coast. Afther weeks without food or water being supplied, they held out against a formidable foo. The last 3 days the artillery had no more shells, only then the Yser plains were flooded, driving back a frustrated German army and giving the Belgian army a breather to hold out and refit, until the 1918 offensives pushed back the Germans. This medal was for those who were there in '14.

-priceless-

The middle one is the firecross, for all those with frontline service, that were under fire.

The left one is for bravery and being mentioned in dispatches, (much like the french croix de gu?rre).

The palm and lion are for repeat awards.

Not only German/English/... awards have a lot of history to tell. :shame:

PICT2980.jpg

Edited by Valgor

All that is missing is his Victory medal!

How rare is the Yser Medal?

Apart from the Victory Medal, the WW1 Commemorative Medal is also missing. I rather think this is the first bar of two that someone was entitled to. The second bar, worn below the first, would thus have the two medals mentioned above plus - quite likely - the Commemorative Medal of the 100th Anniversary of Independence.

The palm device on the War Cross is, unfortunately, the one for miniature medals.

I quite agree with Valgor that the Yser Medal - though not particularly rare - is important in such a group. It's often underrated in that respect as it does show the recipient was serving from the start of WW1 and managed to survive the 4 year ordeal ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

Based upon what I have read here, this is an amazing bar! All that is missing is his Victory medal!

How rare is the Yser Medal?

1. They dont exactly throw them at you, but they can be found without much difficulty. It is a campaingnmedal really.

There is also one for the fighting around Liege, wich is semi official. The city presented it, but is the only unofficial medal to my knowledge that is officially alowed to be worn on a belgian military uniform, making it semi-official.

2. correct, the soldier did recieve more medals than these 3 (not counting the repeats)

I have the comm medal and the victory medal (It looks a lot like the US version, and that of many other nations for that mather). Unfortunatly they are unmounted.

3. The palm is indeed miniature, but i have seen this wear on quite alot of medals and do not believe for one second this a postwar addendum.

What i appreciate in this bar is that it is a soldiers bar, for some reason i do not like officers bars with al these monarchist crowns and cheap silver. :rolleyes:

I'll take bronze any day.

I just know this one was hard earned by someone who rather had been at home with his wife or mother.

Can you please post the other two medals? This is an amazing set. I too like the EM bars.

I wasnt planning to, but if it makes you happy, sure i will.

I'll take some pics and post them.

I have a load of other medals and equipment to, unfortunatly most lies dormant at my parents home.

If there is some interest i would not mind to post more items with a bit history to explain things a little.

I'll try to post more, give me week or so.

... 3. The palm is indeed miniature, but i have seen this wear on quite alot of medals and do not believe for one second this a postwar addendum.

... i do not like officers bars with al these monarchist crowns and cheap silver. :rolleyes:

Hello Valgor,

I also have no doubt the recipient was entitled to the palm device - maybe he lost the original one, maybe an unscrupulous merchant sold him the Croix de Guerre with the devices which he had at hand when the recipient got around to purchasing the medals he was entitled to ... I guess we'll never know exactly.

For the sake of clarity, Belgian chivalry orders were awarded to WWI veterans, officers, NCO's and EM's alike. Thus bars with one or more of these orders present are not necessarily officers' bars.

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 3 weeks later...

Can you please post the other two medals? This is an amazing set. I too like the EM bars.

I've been diggin in my boxes at my parents place. I even found W-SS cloth i did not knew i had, and that does have a decent chance of being orig. That and a lot of kit, witch i am not so fond of anymore.

So here you go:

The first one is a comm. witch pictures King Albert.

PICT3086.jpg

This is the warcross with the big palm. I could switch 'em. But i wont.

I've always loved the size of these. They are somewhat bigger than the averige medal.

PICT3085.jpg

Edited by Valgor