News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

QUEEN and KING SOUTH AFRICA MEDALS

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Another pretty difficult Clasp to find. Price wise not cheap.

Wepener

Down to 1 Clasp left out of 26 sweatdrop.gif

Awarded to 422 PTE. E.M. HARTIGAN of the KAFFARIAN RIFLES

Obverse:

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

What's the old saying?

The last is usually the hardest (or most expensive) you get.

That would be the "Defence of Mafeking" Clasp. When I set out to collect all 26 clasps, I never knew which one would be the last until a few months ago. It soon became obvious while scouring for the right combination in need.

It finally arrived today. I'm happy that not only do I have all 26, but that in each case they have been proven to be legitimately awarded to the soldier whose name appears impressed or engraved on the edge of the medal.

Like any medal now days, people will do anything to deceive to make a buck. It's not just TR, but across the board. Extra Clasps, bogus regiments ... you see it all.

That being said, I'm pleased to show the QSA that holds the final 26th clasp.

This one belongs to a Colonial Soldier who served in two different regiments during the Boer War of 1899 - 1902. As will be shown later,the rules and regulations became quite confusing at times and trying to determine why or why not a particular soldier was entitled to a clasp was not always straight forward.

As is the case for Andrew Edward Calderwood.

I am awaiting some more research paperwork for this fellow, but I've already learned a few interesting tidbits about his career.

He enlisted with the Protectorate Regiment Frontier Force D Squadron as Trooper 152 on 08/23/1899 and was discharged on 10/16/1900. During this time he was at Mafeking at the start of the siege. In fact he was wounded on the first day 10/14/1899.

Thanks to QSA Mike, a small tidbit of information about this timeframe from the book MAFEKING SIEGE REGISTER, by Colin Walker

Mitchell's M.R.Gen. Order 21/1, Court Martial for drunkenness, 7 days HL, and Imprisonment,light sentence because of good work. Mentioned for Conspicuous Gallantry in Action, BP saw Parsons, Bryant and Calderwood who went out under fire and brought out their wounded comrade Trooper Donovan from close to the Boer works under heavy fire until they met a stretcher party. Calderwood had just finished7 days in field hospital recovering from his own wounds........

He later joined the 2nd Brabants Horse in 1900 as a Corporal (Reg # 20046) toserve into 1901.

As will be shown later, he earned the "Defence of Mafeking","Orange Free State" and the "Transvaal" clasps while serving in the Protectorate Regiment.

With the 2nd Brabants Horse he earned the "Cape Colony", "OrangeFree State", "Transvaal" and "South Africa 1901"clasps.

However, due to the "rules" he was not entitled to keep the"Cape Colony" Clasp, because it this was this state that Mafeking belonged to, and you couldn't have both a State Clasp and a Battle Clasp from that same State.

The "South Africa 1901" clasp is loose and unattached as is sometimes the case, as these were sent out later and not originally attached to the clasps awarded with the QSA. Quite often these were never attached and lost over time.

I will post additional information when the remaining research material arrives later this month.

Medal Obverse:

Edited by Darrell