News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

QUEEN and KING SOUTH AFRICA MEDALS

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Another good pair, Darrell. The Natal bar is always sought after and commands a premium.

Thanks Mervyn. Apparently the few clasps I have left to get do as well :o

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

QSA awarded to 432 EDWARD CURTIS of the Southern Rhodesian Volunteers "F" Troop.

May have to get some additonal research done on this chap.

Obverse:

Darrell - another good one for the collection... How many QSA's in the collection now ? You must post a list of the medal bars you are still looking for - they all come-up at some time , or another. Did you see the picture I posted some time ago - I think under Africa - of the Rhodesian cavalry squadron ? I could re-send as it is good ref. for this medal. Mervyn

Guest Darrell

Hi Mervyn, that makes 10 QSA's w/ 23 out of 26 Clasps.

It's nice when you can bang 3-4 at a time on one medal. However the remaining 3 are not together as pairs or triples.

P.S. I'd be interested in the Rhodesian info. Thanks :beer:

Hello Darrell,

these are very interesting close-ups of the medals.

Once I have a single QSA to a member of "Steinaecker`s Horse". Only mentioned this, because of the entry of Lt. Hartley in the medal roll.

greetings from Germany

eitze

Guest Darrell

Hello Darrell,

these are very interesting close-ups of the medals.

Once I have a single QSA to a member of "Steinaecker`s Horse". Only mentioned this, because of the entry of Lt. Hartley in the medal roll.

greetings from Germany

eitze

Thanks eitze. They are definitely addictive like all other things.

Eitze. Just a few details for your Steinacker's Horse QSA - although I think you said you no longer have it ?

They were raised in June 1900 by Lt.Col.F. von Steinacker. They served in the Northern Transvaal and were disbanded in 1902. They had a strength of 450 men and , I understand, sent a contingent to King Edward 7th.s Coronation.

Mervyn Mitton,

Francis Christiaan Ludwig von Steinaecker, was a flamboyant and eccentric character; a former Prussian officer who rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and was awarded the DSO for his service. He failed to adjust to civilian life after the war and committed suicide in 1917.

In June 1900 he recruited the first men for his "Horse". At that time he hold the rank of Lieutenant.

The unit was stationed near the Komati Poort District.

The corps was one of the most complete and self-contained units in the coutry. They had their own intelligence, transport, workshop and were able to work the Selati railway with their own men for over a year.

Major von Steinaecker commenced the war as a private. His steps are worth noting: Sqaudron Quartermaster-Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, D.S.O: and finally Hon. Lieut.-Col. in the army.

Infos from: "The Colonials in South Africa 1899-1902, John Sterling"

greetings from Germany

eitze

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darrell,

as far as info on the So.Rho.Vol goes I've found the best books are the 2 Vol by Hickman "Rhodesia served the Queen"

Vol 1 is up to the relief of Mafeking and Vol2 is all after that.

Its not a cheep set to get hold of though!

Cheers

Glenn.

Nice collection Darell and service records. biggrin.gif

Thats the one thing I struggle with collecting medals is the service information.

Ironically the one service record I do have is South African and I am from New Zealand.....

Thanks for showing