News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brunswick/Hanover/BRITISH Royal 1864

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This crest is on the cover of a Bavarian 1864 Court and State Handbook! :Cat-Scratch::speechless1:

The basic heraldy is almost ENTIRELY British-- with the addition of the German galloping horse... and the VERY UN

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense motto.

Whose crest was this? :speechless1: No NAME inside. No "ExLibris" plate... just thgis big bold gold This Book IS M-I-N-E cover art. Way out of my ken.

This crest is on the cover of a Bavarian 1864 Court and State Handbook! :Cat-Scratch::speechless1:

The basic heraldy is almost ENTIRELY British-- with the addition of the German galloping horse... and the VERY UN

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense motto.

Whose crest was this? :speechless1: No NAME inside. No "ExLibris" plate... just thgis big bold gold This Book IS M-I-N-E cover art. Way out of my ken.

Rick,

There's no Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense motto on there, although it appears to be a St George of the Order of the Garter hanging from the shield. It says "NUMQUAM RETRORSUM" which is associated with the Duchy of Brunswick, the motto below is SUSCIPERE ET FINIRE. They look kind of weird in that odd round formation, but what you have is the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Hanover.

kgrhannoverwappen.jpg

Edited by Mike Dwyer

The small inner shield on the main shield is the Hanoverian royal duchy crown - it became a crown - with rows of pearls in 1816 - when it became a kingdom. The British royal arms were almost identical , apart from the mottoes , and remained until 1835 when the present arms were adopted.

Mervyn

Most likely this book belonged to the blind King Georg V of Hannover. 1864 is two years before his deposition by the Prussians.

Have a look inside at the list of knights of the various orders. His name may be there amongst the knights of the Order of St Hubert.

1864 is too early for the other likely candidate, Georg's son, the Duke of Cumberland. He probably did not receive his Garter for several years to come.

Cheers

James

Guest Rick Research

Actually, I was so overwhelmed at beginning to catalog the Ludvigsen library, I got no farther than the COVERS. :blush:

Inside each of a number of books is the stamp of Ernst August, first as Prince and then as King of Hanover, varying from his cipher in 1826 to state arms in the 1860s.

This one was on his copy of Hessen-Darmstadt's 1864 Hof- und- Staats Handbuch. Subtle differences in design and no Order of the Garter appended

Actually, I was so overwhelmed at beginning to catalog the Ludvigsen library, I got no farther than the COVERS. :blush:

Inside each of a number of books is the stamp of Ernst August, first as Prince and then as King of Hanover, varying from his cipher in 1826 to state arms in the 1860s.

This one was on his copy of Hessen-Darmstadt's 1864 Hof- und- Staats Handbuch. Subtle differences in design and no Order of the Garter appended

The two books illustrated here, if dated 1864, would not have belonged to Ernst August, King of Hannover. He died in 1851, when he was succeeded by the blind Georg V.

If the bookplates inside say Ernst August, then they are likely to have belonged to Georg V's son and Crown Prince, better known as the (3rd) Duke of Cumberland.