News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Meager Collection of KM Naval Tallies.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Here is the only cap tally I have... still on the Schloffelmutze... Marinenachrichtenschule or Naval Signals School.

Bob

Edited by bob wirtz

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Here is the only cap tally I have... still on the Schloffelmutze... Marinenachrichtenschule or Naval Signals School.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Very nice cap. Do I see correctly from your photo, your tally script is in cotton (Kunstseide, Baumwolle, Perlgarn)?

Here's a photo of my Dad and his colleague with the same caps at Marinenachrichtenschule. The tally on the fellow on the left is apparently in metal thread (Metallfaden) but I can't tell if the other is metal or cotton -- could be either since it dates from early 1937 when cotton was official but metal could still be had from old stock.

Best regards,

---Norm

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... Yes, I thought the thread was going off track so I brought it back to subject matter!

I think you are right... it appears to be machine woven. Very nice picture. I do exhibits and have a Hauptgefreiter Radioman pea jacket and trousers and usually put an overseas cap on the head, but occasionally put the Schloffelmutze cap on to match the rate. Could I use your picture to go on my documentation when I'm showing this cap? I wouldn't use your name (unless you wanted) but just print it on the page with the documentation about the uniform and cap to show one in use during the war. Here is my exhibit last year (3-4 October 2009) at Brentsville (Virginia) at the historic district's first annual WW2 Living History Weekend. I used the overseas cap in the exhibit but brought the Schloffelmutze along to get photos of it with the jacket. Or you could crop your father out of the photo.

Bob

Edited by bob wirtz

I think you are right... it appears to be machine woven...

...Could I use your picture to go on my documentation when I'm showing this cap?...

Bob

Hi Bob,

They're both machine woven whether metal thread or cotton thread. I was asking if the lettering on yours is cotton thread as opposed to the obviously metallic thread when viewed in hand.

Sure you can use the photo. Best to keep both figures to show the different parts of the lettering from different angles.

Regards,

---Norm

Here are some others I recently picked up. I am quite pleased with these two examples. Metalfaden examples and full length.

:)

These two allow me to have checked off the 2 Schlachtschiff's, the Kreuzer fleet with exception to the Prinz Eugen. and I already have completed the Panzerschiff 3.

Regards,

Justin

2dresq

Justin,

Looks like you're building a FLEET. Nice tallies to be sure! Continued success!

Bob

That is the eventual plan. Gotta get some more destroyers, I am working on the Sub fleet, Trying my hand at the torpedoboots, like to get the two schnellboot tenders as well as Schnellbootsflottille 2.

Appreciate the complements! I have been extremely fortunate with obtaining such nice and rare examples. :)

Regards,

Justin

2dresq

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some magnificent tallies. I love those schnellboot tallies. I hope to one day have them added to my collection.

These schnellboot tallies seem to be quite scarce. I lucked out with the Schnellbootsflottille 1 version.

I have been able to secure the torpedoboots. I am getting the Wolf, Tiger and Grief tallies and a new Moewe tally. That will do it for the torpedoboots. :)

Just working on the destroyers, and unterseebootsflottilles/tenders.

Regards,

Justin

2dresq

Justin I have a good feeling those like in my ownership ( S-Booten/Tender ) will come soon to you. I have obtained another 3-4 since the "old" pic of 09. say any possibility that we can see the full "fleet" of tallies in your ever growing collection altogether ? .............. Marvelous.

Erich ~

Justin for the Jaguar check out Andre' H.'s site think there is still one there for you........... nice T-Boot Tallies

the R. Beitzen and K. Emden are now in my hot little hands, Metall und Baumwoll

Edited by ErichB

Justin for the Jaguar check out Andre' H.'s site think there is still one there for you........... nice T-Boot Tallies

the R. Beitzen and K. Emden are now in my hot little hands, Metall und Baumwoll

Glad to hear. The Jaguar on Andre's Site was for the Artillery school boat Jaguar http://www.huesken.com/cgi-bin/cat-art-index.pl?art_no=48966&rubrik=850006&lang=e&kat=1

Thanks for the update though. I have purchased some tallies from Andre before. Very easy to do business with.

Regards,

Justin

2dresq

I now have 2 more Admiral Graf Spee tallies. I upgraded.

The upper one was my first tally which I purchased from german ebay from a seller in Argentina.

The other two come from a German seller. One is 88cm long and the other is full length 156cm long.

Regards,

Justin

2dresq

:rolleyes:

I now have 2 more Admiral Graf Spee tallies. I upgraded.

The upper one was my first tally which I purchased from german ebay from a seller in Argentina.

The other two come from a German seller. One is 88cm long and the other is full length 156cm long.

Regards,

Justin

2dresq

:rolleyes:

Hi Justin,

Very nice. What's the length of your first version from Argentina?

Cheers.

---Norm

P.S. That vertical free loop of gold thread seen on the first tally on the second "f" in "ff" is odd. Could we see a closeup of that detail? Wondering if it was a weaving flaw or if it pulled through the black threads of the warp.

Edited by Norm F

Here is a close up of the first Argentinian obtained Graf Spee.

I will post the measuremements when I can find my ruler. It is greater than 150cm though. Regards,

Justin

2dresq

Hi Justin,

Any chance you could get a sharper closeup. You can see on mine how that vertical thread should be crossed by black loops of the warp (arrows). On yours the metal thread has either cut through the black threads out or it was manufacturing defect -- I suspect the former. Your tally is certainly the same as mine since it's that length and the same font type - private purchase, worn when off duty, or kept as a keepsake, or both.

I suspect your 3rd tally was likely official Navy issue, but it's hard to say for sure given it's been cropped to 80 cm.

Regards,

---Norm

• 2 weeks later...