News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Meager Collection of KM Naval Tallies.

• 3 months later...

i want to share my 6 latest addition:the heavy from this shipping are BREMSE and METEOR,... :jumping:

thanks

Very nice tallies! My Dad served on both the BREMSE and the METEOR -- on the BREMSE in 1939 during the filming of a movie in which dummy funnels were added to the ship to impersonate the H.M.S. AMPHION, and on the METEOR in 1940 when it was the floating headquarters of the B.S.O (Befehlshaber der Sicherung der Ostsee). He would have worn a BREMSE tally at one time but not a METEOR tally since he was a Leutnant by that time.

Question: What's the difference between the Artillerieschulschiff Bremse tally and the Artillerieschulboot Bremse tally? Which one is earlier and why the name change?

Best regards,

---Norm

Edited by Norm F

I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I think that Boot came before Schiff. Bremse was built for the Reichsmarine, befopre the Kriegsmarine was created and at that time the artillery training vessels were Artillerieschulboote. I have seen a photo of her described as Artillerieschulboot with the Reichsmartine flag, so my guess is that she was originally known as an Artillerieschulboot and later classified as an Artillerieschulschiff. A "ship" is generally considered bigger than a "boat", and Bremse was about the size of a biggish destroyer /light cruiser (the lighter German destroyers were of course known as Torpedoboote, again going with the smaller vessels being classed as "boats".

Thats my take on it anyway (but I could be completely wrong :) )

Very nice tallies! My Dad served on both the BREMSE and the METEOR -- on the BREMSE in 1939 during the filming of a movie in which dummy funnels were added to the ship to impersonate the H.M.S. AMPHION, and on the METEOR in 1940 when it was the floating headquarters of the B.S.O (Befehlshaber der Sicherung der Ostsee). He would have worn a BREMSE tally at one time but not a METEOR tally since he was a Leutnant by that time.

Question: What's the difference between the Artillerieschulschiff Bremse tally and the Artillerieschulboot Bremse tally? Which one is earlier and why the name change?

Best regards,

---Norm

very interesting your father km life!!!!!!!!! :love:

may be you can help me if you can scanning to me pictures from your father wearing km uniforms and pics from bremse and meteor if you have any,i would like put them in my navy blog,take a look to the link below and if you agree you can send me a p.m. :anmatcat:

http://l11-velasco.blogspot.com/

thanks in advance

very interesting your father km life!!!!!!!!! :love:

may be you can help me if you can scanning to me pictures from your father wearing km uniforms and pics from bremse and meteor if you have any,

thanks in advance

Photos of the Bremse during the movie shoot:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363395&highlight=Bremse

Photos of my Dad in uniform:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348232

Cheers.

---Norm

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Not understanding what you are asking in your above post? Are you wanting to know about the this particular unit? That is was a half flottille? How many Halb (Half) flottilles there were there in the Kriegsmarine? Could you please clarify?

Not understanding what you are asking in your above post? Are you wanting to know about the this particular unit? That is was a half flottille? How many Halb (Half) flottilles there were there in the Kriegsmarine? Could you please clarify?

really it would be very interesting to me know all the answers to your questions from above because i don,t know anything about half flotilles,what were their missions and where was based the 1.torpedobootshalfflotille.1 and what is the meaning of the word torpedobootshalfflotille..... :speechless:

thanks in advance for your responses

Edited by SICHERHEITSDIENTS

Here's my understanding. As Flottilles were formed from various craft: Schnellboot, Raeumboot, Minensuch, Torpedo, etc.. Flottille and Halb flottile. There was a number of units to make up a full flottille; this number would vary depending on the ship class. I believe that the Torpedoboots needed a total of 10 to make a full flottille. So a Halb (half) flottille would be in the same location, ie Swinemunde (torpedobootsflottille 1) or Wilhelmshaven for (torpedobootsflottille 2.) As the unit expanded and more ships were introduced they would be assigned to a newly created halb flottille until their numbers increased to obtain the full designation and they would drop the (halb) name.

The Schnellboots had 8 boats per flottille. So, Schnellbootshalbflottille would have less than the 8 required to classify it as a full flottille.

Hope this helps.

Once again, this is my understanding. If I am mistaken, please someone, correct me. :) Thanks!

JustinG

2dresq

Here's my understanding. As Flottilles were formed from various craft: Schnellboot, Raeumboot, Minensuch, Torpedo, etc.. Flottille and Halb flottile. There was a number of units to make up a full flottille; this number would vary depending on the ship class. I believe that the Torpedoboots needed a total of 10 to make a full flottille. So a Halb (half) flottille would be in the same location, ie Swinemunde (torpedobootsflottille 1) or Wilhelmshaven for (torpedobootsflottille 2.) As the unit expanded and more ships were introduced they would be assigned to a newly created halb flottille until their numbers increased to obtain the full designation and they would drop the (halb) name.

The Schnellboots had 8 boats per flottille. So, Schnellbootshalbflottille would have less than the 8 required to classify it as a full flottille.

Hope this helps.

Once again, this is my understanding. If I am mistaken, please someone, correct me. :) Thanks!

JustinG

2dresq

thanks justin for your great explanation :jumping:

now those things are better clear to me

Edited by SICHERHEITSDIENTS

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired this piece. Zerstorer Hermann Kuenne.

Leaving me wih only 4 more destroyers to give me the entire fleet of 22.

Diether Von Roeder

Erich Giese

Erich Koellnger

Anton Schmitt

If anyone knows or has one for sale, please contact me.

Best regards gentlemen.

JustinG

2dresq

• 3 months later...

A friend helped me obtain this D.v.R muetzenband. I am very grateful. It is a cut version but is in impecable condition.

Regards,

JustinG

I need only 3 left for the full 22. :rolleyes:

Yes, all these are all pre-war/early 1939 manufactured. Wish it was full length, but these destroyers are rather rare and sought after. I feel lucky to have obtained such a nice pristine example, even if it is shortened.

Regards,

2dresq

JustinG

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

As probably everyone can attest to: Whenever there is something that you need to complete or add to a collection, the elusive pieces (which may not be that rare) still are rare to you.

Regards,

JustinG

2dresq

Edited by 2dresq