News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St Petersburg Institute graduation jeton

GeorgeCL

What a terrific piece. One of the nicest I have ever seen, that's for sure.

Two questions, though. What identifies this as a St. Pete badge and what name are you looking for? Is it the meaning of the initials?

Congratulations on finding such a superb piece. I assure you, I have never been offered such a treasure.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

"I. U. SV. V." (which I take to be Something Something of "St." "V." which must be Vladimir) then V. Z. Krasovsky.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the trans.

I may have mis identified the school..

I'll research this again

Having the name is Great! :beer:

George

I think the И. У. may stand for Имперский Университет, or Imperial University. So, maybe the Imperial University of St. Vladimir graduation badge of Mr. V. Z. Krasovski?

Just my two cents, and worth every penny.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I think is a graduate's badge of the Imperial Russian University at St. Petersburg. It is a three piece bronze badge. The eagle is attached to a finger of the rhomb that sticks up at the top. The enamel is plain and rather ordinary. It is not translucent or seemingly of particularly high quality. You did well to earn this badge but you were probably not among society's elite if this is all the quality you or your family could afford upon graduation. The white enamel on this one has a surface chip at the bottom and a crack on the lower right side. It's a pretty good example.

I think that this, too, is a graduate's badge from the Imperial Russian University at St. Petersburg. It is an interesting comparison with the one above.

This one is gold-plated solid silver, 84 proofed and maker marked. The rhomb and eagle are one piece and the cross-with-wreath is the second piece. Even the screwback is silver and both proofed and maker marked.

This badge is oversized, which was an affectation of the wealthy. Check out the side-by-side image. This one has white guilloche enamel, the highest quality. The blue is a high quality translucent enamel. On this example there is a surface chip on the blue enamel just below the cross member.

I have read that there are gold examples of this badge but I haven't seen one. This is, by far, the fanciest example of this graduate's badge that I have seen. This one screamed "I'm rich ... and you're not!"

Hi Guys,

Here's my university badge its gilt bronze nice enamel work

George

Info form my reference book.

12.09.1899 the badge of the analogous apperance, but decreased dimensions, was instituted for the generals, officers and civilian officals of the military department, who graduated from NON-medical faculties of russian universities.

So not unique to St Petersburg.

IPB Image

Guest Rick Research

Plus ?a change--

as a comparison here is the SOVIET badge for University graduates, this one bearing the ever changing number of Republics state crest of 1940-46:

silver and silver-gilt, same shape, same colors!!!

[attachmentid=18258][attachmentid=18259]

Thank you. I stand corrected. There is no tie to St. Petersburg. I no longer remember why I thought that there might be. When I went to my own meager resources I couldn't find a single indication that St. Petersburg might be involved. Another senior moment, I'm afraid.

Chuck