News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I notice that this page is also for Zulu items - but, have found only a few. Known as an Ingxotha (pronounced In-gotcha) the arm band above is the highest award the Zulu King could give and was their equivalent of a VC and the Order of the Garter. About 8 - 9 inches , it is made from cast brass. Three kings used it - Dingaan; Panda and Cetshwayo. Cetchwayo was king during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 and this is of the pattern used during his reign. They were awarded to warriors who had greatly distinguished themselves in battle - and, also to very senior advisors to the king to show their rank. We don't know how many were actually given out, but only approx. 15 to 20 remain today.

You had to be a braveman , even to receive the award ! The armband starts life as a sheet of cast brass, with the design in the casting - however, one side is smooth. The recipient has his arm (could be left or right) bound with wet hides and the flat - or, perhaps partly bent - red hot band is then beaten around , leaving the gap shown in the photograph. From then on it remains on the arm and they were usually buried with them - being brass it was a heavy item and must have been difficult to wear.

Mervyn (I have a shield from Rorke's Drift and other items if anyone would like to see them?)

• 1 month later...

This bravery award ranks below the arm band shown. Made from a thorn bush - they are now very rare - after all, the last one was awarded 131 years ago !

(from: Zulu Treasures)

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

There are photos in existance - I will post them when I next see one. Very little is known pre 1879 and they ceased after that date. The Zulus did not have a written history - they have 'praise'singers', who still go before the Zulu King and the President.

I have added a picture of Zulu metal workers in the other Arm Band post.