News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

belgian Order of Leopold l

13 hours ago, augustin1813 said:

Hello!

Are you sure it is bronze gilt?

This modell is habitually in gold.

Yes, but my order in bronze :) 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

picture of gold order, from museum in UK

image.jpeg

Hi Igor,

Nice one! These were French made in slightly smaller (than Dutalis's) size. I have few of these in silver, silver gilt and all are marked with French hallmark (head of hare). All are with swords like yours and have nearly identical centres (double leaves at the bottom of the disc - all Dutalis's had singles). Too bad the reverse is missing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Igor,

I can confirm that the Cross you showed is bronze I had one in my collection, Interesting is that the both central medallions have enamel that is blue purple in colour instead of the traditional red and black.otherwise the features are the same as Farmer described them Yes It is a pity that the back central medallion is missing

Why the French made them in bronze is the other questions, however we see from time to time French legion of honour in bronze gilded from the same period That is a mystery because the vast majority of the Orders from officer class and above were made from gold We can only speculate.

However those orders have their own place

Here are few French examples made in France during this period

1/2 size Knight Class next tho Dutalis Cross The 1/2 size cross is marked with French mark for silver

Knight Class Badge with swords -marked with French mark for silver

-Gold Commander Class -reduced size 68 x40.5 mm I assume this was an Officer Class converted to Commander Class for neck wearing

-Grand Cordon Badge -again French made in Gold The Star is made by British maker

001.JPG

002.JPG

Leo 059.jpg

Leo 064.jpg

Leo 066.jpg

003.JPG

004.JPG

• 9 months later...

The Belgium Medal makers have produced excellent quality Orders over the years, especially at the early period from 1832 till 1900. For some reasons few Orders have been made by French makers since the very beginning

Here is my French Connection in my Belgium Order of Leopold Collection

1. 1/2 Size Knight with French mark -"rabbit" for Silver prior to 1839

2 Officer in 18 carat Gold with French "eagle head" mark

3. Officer in Silver Gild with French "boar head" mark for Silver and Maker Mark "VL"

4 Commander with French import mark "Ar950" for Silver  and maker mark "AB"

5. Knight -not marked, however when compared with the Commander it is obvious that it could be the same maker

010.JPG

011.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

3 hours ago, Graf said:

The Belgium Medal makers have produced excellent quality Orders over the years, especially at the early period from 1832 till 1900. For some reasons few Orders have been made by French makers since the very beginning

Here is my French Connection in my Belgium Order of Leopold Collection

1. 1/2 Size Knight with French mark -"rabbit" for Silver prior to 1839

2 Officer in 18 carat Gold with French "eagle head" mark

3. Officer in Silver Gild with French "boar head" mark for Silver and Maker Mark "VL"

4 Commander with French import mark "Ar950" for Silver  and maker mark "AB"

5. Knight -not marked, however when compared with the Commander it is obvious that it could be the same maker

010.JPG

011.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

The commander level is really beautiful! congratulations

Hi Overture,

Thank you Yes, it is nice Commander Not many of those have been made I assume they were privately ordered with people with deep pockects

Your GO Star  by Fonson is very nice The display box is stunning

Here a gold GC military I have, from the period of king Leopold II. The star is probably french made and must have been from some royalty with a lot of orders as it is inscribed Leopold (Belgique) so  he could choose the right star when necessary. The case unfortunately is not correct.

regards, Pieter

P1030071.JPG

P1030074.JPG

Edited by pieter1012
    spelling

Hi Pieter,

Very nice GC Set

The Cross is typical Heremans.

The Star, as you suggested,  could be French. Do you see any marks for silver  or any maker marks?

They could be on the pin or pin system

It is unique  not only because is with a text on the back, but also because has those red stones, which is very unusual for the Belgium Stars unless it was made for a Noble and/or rich person

NOTE: Please do not try to open the pictures/links from the Post 248 It looks they are infected or someone hacked the links

Edited by Graf

Hi Graf,

In the picture of the backside of the star you can see two spots on the pin; these are marks, one the familiar swinehead, and the other probably the maker, but I cannot recognize it. The swinehead mark is also on the catch for the pin. I have a simple camera, so unfortunately cannot make a close up photo.

Regards, Pieter

Hi Pieter,

If you have the boar head (swinehead) mark that is a French mark for a Silver

The features of the Star were pointing towards French Maker

can you see with the magnifying glass what are the Letters inside the other mark

In the French Section There is very nice thread with the French Makers marks

Guy Deploige from Royal Military Museum in Brussels is very knowledgeable on this topic

Best

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just added a nice big miniature of an early model of the Order

It is French made with mark "VL" and "head of hare"

The 1'2 size Order in the middle is also French made with mark "head of hare"

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hello;

Can someone tell me the criteria for this Order to be awarded?  What merit/service/action would occur to earn the Order of Leopold?  What do the regulations on it's issuing say?

Specifically, I am wondering;

1) for the military class,

2) awarded to a uniformed foreigner (military personnel). 

3) Time period; somewhere from 1860 to 1918. 

Could it be for; As a military liaison?  a Royal Court visit?  Recognized service to the country of Belgium?  Rescued a Belgium citizen from fire or drowning?

• 1 year later...