News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

belgian Order of Leopold l

ooooh I knew that order,

The three star order of virginity of the sahara, :P

very very rare, :cheeky:

as there are hardly any virgins in the desert!!! :speechless:

No, just joking, couldn't find it on Internet, maybe are there any clues on the back??

Kind regards,

Jacky

• 1 month later...

The medal itself, again I believe the I in the center of the reverse indicates it's from the reign of Leopold I (1831 -1865)

Beautiful cross and a very nice acquisition, Laurence ! And your pictures show that great "old" red enamel perfectly :love: - any markings to be found in the suspension ring ???

I'm not so sure about your dating though. I'm certainly no expert on it but rather think your knight's cross is of the type used between 1900 and 1918, judging by its crown suspension shape. Could any of the more informed forum members confirm this or correct me ?

In fact, it wouldn't do any harm if anyone could give some tips on what to watch out for in order to properly date the various "types" of this order - any hints as to how to recognize specific maker's differences would also be welcome. Every scrap of information in that respect would be useful !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik

What I did was

a: miss read, and then;

b: missquoted this post

Dear Jef

There are no marks in them, even in the first crosses made in 1832 some time you find the monogram with I in the middle, what is sure is that those with a II are made by Heremans, periode of Leopold II, at the periode of King Albert I we find some time back a I in the Monogram. ;)

My dating was defientely a little "off". No marks that I can see of.

I agree about the enamel work, it was the first thing that caught my eye when i open the box, the colours are really vibrant and translucent.

Thanks for the kind words from both of you

Edited by Laurence Strong

In fact, it wouldn't do any harm if anyone could give some tips on what to watch out for in order to properly date the various "types" of this order - any hints as to how to recognize specific maker's differences would also be welcome. Every scrap of information in that respect would be useful !

If Pat would read this, he would probably just say: "Just wait, my book is forthcoming!" :rolleyes:

Pat? and which book?

Captain-Commandant (ret'd) Pat van Hoorebeke of the Belgian Army Museum is about to publish his book on the Belgian Orders and its suppliers. Should have been finished last October, however...

He's knows quite a lot about boxes, maker's marks, types, etc.

Not yet, as soon as it's published I guess Guy will post something on it! (@ Guy?)

It will be there hopely end of this year, the Royal Army Museum will do an exhibition about the Belgian National Orders and specialy about the 175 aniversery of the Order of Leopold. By that occasion normaly the book of our dear Pat will be Publiched, but first there will be a remake of the book of Ren? Cornet, about the l?gislation of the belgian orders, adapted by Pat, with beautifull pictures made by BC. So some day it will be there :rolleyes:

But my book about the french Imperial orders would be first (no more command on that, ... only that it will be beautifull) ;)

Edited by g_deploige

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...