News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

belgian Order of Leopold l

Looks like a very late example, not likely by Buls (possibly Wolfers or Heremans) - look at the super flat lion.

Thanks for the aclaration. I thought it was Buls because of similarity on page 115 of the Book: 175 ans de l'Ordre Léopold & les Ordres Nationeaux Belge by Cmd. Pat Van Hoorebeeke (2007, ISBN 2-87051-040-3)

GM1

That's also a very nice one :) ! Officer model. Sometimes the rozette has also the golden line woven in it.

2 Military versions of my collection: 1 with "A"-palm and another with crossed swords for veterans, both of WW1. Note that the crossed swords version is only French, while most of them are bilingual (because most of them were at lease second promotion, conceded after 1952).

Can anybody identify the manufactures?

Best regards,

GM1

You have some very nice pieces GM1, congrats!

One is a French made example, 2nd Empire period but maker is not entirely apparent (few name do come to mind though). The other one looks like early F. Heremans, perhaps even J. Heremans.

As to your ribbons with gold stripes, be very carefull since those are quite rare and often 'added' in order to increase the value. Only very keen eye can tell the difference and usually not with 100% accuracy. We can buy a lot of them in Belgium (probably made in the East anyway) currently (and I've been seeing them around for the last 10-15 years, in the past it was a rarity on the marked (even in Belgium) . Look for tarnished gold threads (gilding on those will often go dark with age), also ribbons that are very purple do not look good to my eye. Your crosses are of different manufacturers and periods, having identical looking ribbons is not a good sign (not in my humble opinion anyway). I've been 'stung' by those in the past in the Commander level - that did not come cheap either.

You have some very nice pieces GM1, congrats!

One is a French made example, 2nd Empire period but maker is not entirely apparent (few name do come to mind though). The other one looks like early F. Heremans, perhaps even J. Heremans.

As to your ribbons with gold stripes, be very carefull since those are quite rare and often 'added' in order to increase the value. Only very keen eye can tell the difference and usually not with 100% accuracy. We can buy a lot of them in Belgium (probably made in the East anyway) currently (and I've been seeing them around for the last 10-15 years, in the past it was a rarity on the marked (even in Belgium) . Look for tarnished gold threads (gilding on those will often go dark with age), also ribbons that are very purple do not look good to my eye. Your crosses are of different manufacturers and periods, having identical looking ribbons is not a good sign (not in my humble opinion anyway). I've been 'stung' by those in the past in the Commander level - that did not come cheap either.

Great aclaration! Indeed I always thought that the ribbons were looking too new. Can you date the jewels approximately? I have a knight Order Leopold II with golden ribbon, which I suppose is more authentic, as you almost can't see the woven. Although off-topic i'll post it here.

Many thanks!

GM1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just added to my Leopold collection this very nice GO Star by Wolfers

I would like your opinion

Stars made by Wolfers are usually with crowned Lions and the red enamel is translucent with specific "texture" uderneth

This one has non crowned Lion and plain red darkish enamel

Graf

look also to http://www.seniso.com/gallerie/ordre-de-leopold-750-uros/

Guy

Hi Guy,

Thank you for the info.

I know for a long time this unmarked Leopold Star on Robert Seniso site He reduced the price twice for the last two years - from 900 Euros

It has similar features with the one I bought from Willy -especially the front central medalion

The diference is that my Star has the Wolfers plaque on the back an the pin shape is like the pins on Wolfers Stars I have seen before.

I am not expert on Leopold Order - just a collector who decided last year to focus on Leopold Order.

Regards

Graf

• 3 months later...

Someone told me once that the "I" was used during the reign of Leopold I (1831-1865) and Albert I (1909-1934) (not sure during the reign of Leopold II (1865-1909). So if this is true your officer's medal is pre-1934.

Someone told me once that the "I" was used during the reign of Leopold I (1831-1865) and Albert I (1909-1934) (not sure during the reign of Leopold II (1865-1909). So if this is true your officer's medal is pre-1934.

Pre 1934? :o Wow, I'm even more satisfied with my purchase. :jumping: Thanks! :D

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

This is my last addition to my L1 collection

Best

Grafhttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-12584-0-12172500-1380509633.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-12584-0-45120300-1380509550.jpg

Hi Guy,

Thank you for showing the Military devision.

I have seen this cross on the top cover (and also inside) of the '175 Jaar Leopoldsorde & de Belgische Nationale Orden"

In this book is stated that the maker is unknown.

Is Wolfers suspected of making it?

It is made similar as the Luxury Models of France Legion of Honour

Do you think the Luxary L1 could be French made?

Here are two Commanders made by the French Maker Bertrand

Best

Graf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guy,

Those are better pictures

I took picture of the crowns of the Knigt Class and the Commander ( French marks for Silver -Boar head and Maker AB&Co))

You can see the similarities in crowns, which can be more proof that all those Luxary made L1 Orders could by French maker(s)

Regards

Graf

Edited by Graf

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...