News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 BRITISH OFFICER'S BINOCULARS

Interesting pair of WW1 private purchase field binoculars - name and date on case (next picture ) was for 1916 - so he was in time for the Somme - poor devil ! I was told he was a subaltern in the Royal Scots Fusiliers - it would be interesting to know what happened to him.

Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of you to look - they came from the family and the date sets them as an officer's private purchase?

These 'mysteries' are sent to try us - I have a very rare DFM from WW1 - bought from the man's daughter -but, we later found out that the numbers don't tie in and the lettering is different from some examples. He was an ace with the RNAS and shot down 7 German planes - he started as a marine on the first RNAS airship - 'Nulli Secundus' - there are pages on his service on the internet , incl. that he joined again in WW2 and after a year on atlantic patrols was discharged, due to age and spent the rest of the war in the ARP. I will post the info.. I have if you would be interested ?

Mervyn

Kind of you to look - they came from the family and the date sets them as an officer's private purchase?

These 'mysteries' are sent to try us - I have a very rare DFM from WW1 - bought from the man's daughter -but, we later found out that the numbers don't tie in and the lettering is different from some examples. He was an ace with the RNAS and shot down 7 German planes - he started as a marine on the first RNAS airship - 'Nulli Secundus' - there are pages on his service on the internet , incl. that he joined again in WW2 and after a year on atlantic patrols was discharged, due to age and spent the rest of the war in the ARP. I will post the info.. I have if you would be interested ?

Mervyn

Mervyn,

Post away.

• 2 years later...

Dale - I would think they are the same glasses. We sold them some time ago to a collector and as you will

appreciate often things are put on auctions to see if they bring a better price. I don't recall who bought them

- possibly a visitor to Sth. Africa who took them home with him. Where did you get them from ? Mervyn