News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Claudio,

It was for me a pleasure, as well, to meet you at the auction. It was unfortunate that we could not have spent more time together; I would really liked to have gotten your opinion on some of the items being offered.

You are so right about being there to actually inspect the pieces. I went over with my list of bids; but after spending a good part of Friday looking at everything, my list saw considerable additions and subtractions. I also agree that, compared to the first two auctions, the prices in this one seemed somewhat ?firmed up?. I must confess that I would not have been surprised to have seen Meister?s spange go for even a bit more (I was expecting 20 - 23K); but you are far more knowledgeable about these than I. All in all, as I said above, rather than something for everyone it was a case of someone for everything - to the dismay of the dealers.

Lastly, your point regarding security has to be considered by all of us. I find the situation a bit complex since if someone tried to steal something interesting from my home, what they would find is that it?s not kept here - so, what do we do then?

Something to discuss next time we can get together - perhaps April in Kirchheim?

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi fknorr,

Yes! I got a couple of nice little medal bars, an award document a couple of the Mecklenburg campaign crosses and a real find - an 1871-91 Saxe-Altenburg silver merit medal! I have been looking for one of these for years; but have only been able to find the 1891-1908 model.

So, a good show!

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Does anybody know who the new owner of Meister`s bar is? I would be very interested in better and detailed pictures of it for my archive....

Heiko

Hi Heiko,

Although I was there, I am sorry to say that I cannot help you with this one. Actually, I am not sure; but this may have gone to a telephone bid. There was a lot of telephone action at this auction.

Sorry,

Wild Card

Hi Heiko,

Wildcard is right; I think too the Meister's spange was sold to a client on the phone. Actually bidding by phone is really not a such bad idea: I don't have to physically there, you can save on the trip and hotel and it's like to be there. So if you really desperately want a specific piece you might get it on the phone... If you place a written bid... mmmmhhh... in that case the chances to get somethingare 1 to 10 or even less. I remember that there were lots of written bids but only very few items went to people who chose to do so.

@Wildcard: you know I really treasure the fact that I can spend time with other fellow collector and have a nice chat. I think this field of collecting there're lots of individualists. If people would speak more openly collectors would take advantage of sharing their knowledge, therefore less chance for the fakers to be successful, and maybe people would behave much more fairly and not bid so against eachother. At the end this is for us, or at least for me, a hobby not my business. The many dealers present at the auction also tought me that to most people is not only an hobby but a quite profitable business.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Hi fknorr,

Yes! I got a couple of nice little medal bars, an award document a couple of the Mecklenburg campaign crosses and a real find - an 1871-91 Saxe-Altenburg silver merit medal! I have been looking for one of these for years; but have only been able to find the 1891-1908 model.

So, a good show!

Best wishes,

Wild Card

It was a good auction for you then!

Congrats!

• 5 weeks later...

Would anyone who has a hard copy of the auction catalogue for this December auction be kind enough to scan and email me a page from it?

Please drop me a PM for details if you can help.

Thanks kindly! :beer:

Marshall

Claudio and Wild Card,

While I found the grand collar of the Black Eagle very nice, my personal favorite was the grand collar of the Order of the Wendish Crown. Do either of you have any idea what that sold for?

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Beautiful bar Wild Card, have yougot more info about the owner ? Congratulations :jumping::jumping:

Christophe

No information as of now; but should anything come to light, I will post it.

Thank you for the compliment and question.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

There is no Rau among recipients of this medal in Zelosko's list.

However, oddly, it looks like the last name is abbreviated as well as the first: "L.RAU."

The only near match would be Ludwig Rauch, a Gefreiter in the 3. Inf.Rgt. who received the medal on January 8, 1871, for bravery in battle at Nuits on December 18, 1870.

Guest Brian von Etzel

A very classy purchase my friend. Although the collars are pretty, this has more character and sacrifice. Great bar.

Just a short note and a little bit off topic.... but Mr.Thies has the chance to split the next groups... He is going to pick up the collection of Tony Colson in the next days. There will be no special "Tony Colson auction" so his things will come up for auction over the next years...