News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victorian Midlothian Helmet

I thought members might be quite interested to see this helmet - it is very rare and has a number of unusual features.

It is a blue cloth covered cork helmet in four panels (no front or rear seams) and it has a blackened 'thistle' pattern top, helmet plate, thistle pattern ear rosettes and a chin chain with a seperate hook at rear to allow the chain to be worn across the helmet body. It also has a leather chin strap for normal use - the chin chain appears to have never been worn in the 'down' position as it is slightly twisted where it is restrained by the hook of the right hand ear rosette to ensure it fits tightly across the helmet.

I will upload some other views to try and show the more unusual features.

Finally, to finish, here are a couple of who I am pretty sure are Midlothian Constabulary officers wearing this pattern of helmet (Albeit that East Lothian wore a very similar helmet and plate)

When viewed closely it looks like they are wearing mourning armbands. Accordingly they could have been part of the force detail who attended the funeral of Queen Victoria on the 2nd February 1901.