News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 ek1 aws pillowback

Hi Eric

Very nice AWS pillowback you have there, I've been searching for one of these myself. Yours is in excellent condition, is that some of the frosting still present on the frame?

The first time I saw one like this I thought it was post war or TR period made. Does anyone know if these pillowback were made after WW1?

I read or heard.. that some owners would blunt the tip of their award pins, not sure if this is true or rumor.

Chris

Hi Eric

Very nice AWS pillowback you have there, I've been searching for one of these myself. Yours is in excellent condition, is that some of the frosting still present on the frame?

The first time I saw one like this I thought it was post war or TR period made. Does anyone know if these pillowback were made after WW1?

Chris

hi chris,

yes the frosting is still intact.

as far as the wartime vs. post-war issue: if you do a search on this particular maker, you will find an example that i have previously posted that has had it's pin system removed and four holes drilled into the core so that the cross could be sewn directly onto a tunic or jacket. some theorize that pilots had this done in order to prevent the award from snagging on protuberances found within the close confines of a cockpit

• 9 years later...

Hi I recently got this nice AWS Cross with screw back It is brass frame and a screw, however the core is magnetic

Three is a faint mark? on the lower arm, which looks as a very faint AWS, however it could be just some other mark (not maker one)

I have seen different variations of the screw back with big round plate  or cross like plate in addition to the small screw(s)

However all the brass frame versions I have seen were with no additional plates -like the one I got

Furthermore there are no signs that there was additional disk

Are those brass models without other plates/discs?

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by Graf

I have done a brief research of the existing and known crosses like the one I listed

All brass frame crosses come without the additional big disk It looks like that they were delivered that way