News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - 'Al Valore Militare' bronze medal

I just received this medal today - an Italian Al Valore Militare. The inscription does look very 'home-made' but seems consistent with other pieces from the WWI period.

The medal has a mintmark (a crowned Z) for the Royal Mint, and according to our member Elmar Lang in this thread (GMIC thread) that would mean that it was made in the 1930-1940s? So is it a replacement?

Opinions are welcome... (I know the photo quality is not the best)

If genuine, it seems the inscription "Giacinto Zupelli - Sober, 11 ottobre 1916" refers to the 8th battle of Isonzo 9-12 October 1916 (Mt. Sober and Nova Vas).

And genuine or not, the little research I did regarding the battles of Isonzo was so fascinating (1.75 mio. casualties :speechless1: so I don't know if 'fascinating' is the right word...) that it made me order John R. Schindler's "Isonzo: The Forgotten Sacrifice of the Great War" from Amazon.

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

• 2 weeks later...

I know the photos are not the best, but... no opinions at all? :unsure:

Any comment is welcome...

/Mike

It looks ok from what I can see. I think I see the maker mark on the obverse below the wreath. Need a better image.

Here's my silver for comparison

Edited by ccj

It looks real from what I can see. I think I see the maker mark on the obverse below the wreath.

Here's my silver for comparison

I know F G is an official maker but I think there was another. Whats the mark below the wreath on yours? It not an F G

The mark is the crowned Z (for the Mint). According to our member Elmar Lang this means it was made in the 30s or 40s - hence my question about "originality".

/Mike

That's the first I've heard of the crowned Z meaning 20-30s manufacture. I've been told its the official issue and that you'll find it on issue medals during WW1 and other periods as well.

I could be wrong but I have been told this by italian medal collectors. I would like to know if there's an expert reference on these medals in english. So far, I've not found one.

Here's E Lang's post.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2897...st&p=277789

I think yours is original but according to his post your is 1930s or ealry WW2. So yours is original I think.

crowned "Z" for the medals awarded from the 30's and during the whole WW2.

Mine is WW1 issue.

crowned "Z" and "F.G" for the medals minted in Rome after 1880 and awarded during the whole WW1.

Edited by ccj

This medal is OK, correctly engraved, no doubt at all.

Medal type with crowned Z only, without F.G. start to be used during WWI; in my collection I've few dated 1917 and a couple 1918. No one dated before 1917 and no one awarded after WWI. This do not means that the medal awarded for 1916 should be wrong, just a late award.

Based to my knoledge, all the medals awarded after WWI should be crowned Z & F.G. All the medals awarded for Abyssinian Campaign, Spain & WWII should be of such type.

il-clifton

Thanks a lot, both of you. I greatly appreciate your opinions :cheers:

/Mike

It must be confusing because Lang laid out the variations like so;

"F.G": for medals awarded from 1833 to 1859 (and especially in the 1848-49 campaign, with a very narrow suspension loop)

"F.G" and the reverse inscription "SPEDIZIONE D'ORIENTE 1855 1856" for those awarded in the Crimean Capaign 1855-56 (also with a narrow suspension loop);

"F.G." for the medals awarded from 1859 to 1866 (also considering the types with the reverse inscription "GUERRA CONTRO L'IMPERO D'AUSTRIA";

"F.G." with the inscription "CAMPAGNA D'ANCONA 1860";

"F.G." and the reverse inscription "CAMPAGNA DELL'ITALIA MERIDIONALE 1860";

"F.G." and the reverse inscription "CAMPAGNA DELLA BASSA ITALIA 1860 -1861";

crowned "Z" and "F.G" for the medals minted in Rome after 1880 and awarded during the whole WW1.

crowned "Z" for the medals awarded from the 30's and during the whole WW2.

I noticed too that the WWI issues have a crude inscription as if a little kid was doing his homework on. The examples from the mid 19th century are very fine as if they came from the mint itself. Any idea who inscribed the WWl issues and why not more skill taken into such a top bravery medal? Or was it up to the owners to inscribe their medals and have it done on the cheap...

Sincerely

Yankee

I noticed too that the WWI issues have a crude inscription as if a little kid was doing his homework on. The examples from the mid 19th century are very fine as if they came from the mint itself. Any idea who inscribed the WWl issues and why not more skill taken into such a top bravery medal? Or was it up to the owners to inscribe their medals and have it done on the cheap...

Sincerely

Yankee

I noticed this as well. In hand it looks better but its not the best quality for sure.

I am looking for the history behind the man who was awarded the one in my collection.

I noticed this as well. In hand it looks better but its not the best quality for sure.

I am looking for the history behind the man who was awarded the one in my collection.

Hi CCI

As I understand there is no book as of yet that has a list of the holders and actions. As I recall from an excellent prior thread you can only get the info from the government and need to be a relative :( sad for us collectors

Hi CCI

For what action was your medal given? I recall Liverpool has one too from 1918, maybe both to the same battle. They are rare, any idea the number awarded in WWl?

Sincerely

Yankee

During WWI had been awarded:

- 364 Gold Medals Al VALOR MILITARE

- 38.614 Silver Medals AL VALOR MILITARE

- 60.224 Bronze Medals AL VALOR MILITARE

Silver and Bronze medals cannot be "scarce" or "rare" becouse of such high numbers of awards !

Edited by ilclifton

I just received this medal today - an Italian Al Valore Militare. The inscription does look very 'home-made' but seems consistent with other pieces from the WWI period.

The medal has a mintmark (a crowned Z) for the Royal Mint, and according to our member Elmar Lang in this thread (GMIC thread) that would mean that it was made in the 1930-1940s? So is it a replacement?

Opinions are welcome... (I know the photo quality is not the best)

If genuine, it seems the inscription "Giacinto Zupelli - Sober, 11 ottobre 1916" refers to the 8th battle of Isonzo 9-12 October 1916 (Mt. Sober and Nova Vas).

And genuine or not, the little research I did regarding the battles of Isonzo was so fascinating (1.75 mio. casualties :speechless1: so I don't know if 'fascinating' is the right word...) that it made me order John R. Schindler's "Isonzo: The Forgotten Sacrifice of the Great War" from Amazon.

/Mike

Hi Mike

There is an excellent article in Medal News " Defending the Tirol" Dec 2005/Jan 2006. Some very fine groups pictured. You can order past issues for a few dollars. www.tokenpublishing.com . In the States difficult to come across books on the Italian Austrian conflict. Your right they are a fascinating read.

Sincerely

Brian

Silver and Bronze medals cannot be "scarce" or "rare" becouse of such high numbers of awards !

Hi ilclifton

Thanks for pointing that out to me. IN the States they are not common. I suppose almost all are living in Italy. Interesting to note they were more issued then the Bavarian Bravery Medal & Saxon St.Henry combined ( estimate 11,000 ) & those do turn up. Just glade the Al Valore's have names....

Thanks for the tip, Brian :)

/Mike

My Pleasure.

I too try to find as much info as possible on the Al Valore but it is difficult and I assume any decent book on the subject has not been translated. Any Italian experts/authors out there please suggest something???

Sincerely

Brian

That's a lot of awards. I didn't figure Bronze would be rare. I know gold medals are scarce. Silver doesn't seem rare at all though people portray them as rare and dealers usually charge to much. I bought mine reasonable years ago.

Mine was awarded to someone named

Zanel Geovanni

TONALE 10-12.14-G:U. 918

• 6 years later...

Hi Mike,

During a search about my grandfather Giacinto Zupelli on the internet I found on your site  the medal that was awarded to him in the 1930s, for merits in the battle of Isonzo , Italy in 1916. My grandfather was born in 1989. Unfortunately he was unable to retrieve the medal in Italy, while he was working in Denmark as mosaic master at that time . Could maybe have been 1937. Do you still have the medal?

Sincerely

Franca

During the 1980s when I was collecting WWI decorations I obtained a book on Inter-library Loan that had bios, citations and photos of recipients of gold Italian Medals of Valor.  Wish I could remember the title of the book - it was in Italian. 

• 10 months later...