News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some more Belgian medals

Hi Paul,

the little red crosses are an indication of being wounded in combat. Per such wound one cross was attached to the ribbon. Note : WW1 red crosses are 1 cm, WW2 or later ones half that size. Economical reasons I guess :(

Hi Hendrik,

I was thinking in British mode :speechless: instead of criteria of other countries, we only got the UN or IFOR/SFOR NATO medal with Former Yugoslavia bar for Bosnia.

TSG, stands for Tomislavgrad which was the then HQ for BELU forces, with contingents in Banluka the British MND-SW HQ. I think this was the first tour Belgian and Luxembourg forces had done in the Balkans as this type of element, before that of course they were in BELUGA; Belgian, Luxembourg, Greek and Austrian Theatre of Transportation Group and this encompassed their main role at the time.

The Belgian Froces at TSG I think where the Ardenne Light Infantry part of the 7th Mechanised Brigade........if I remember correctly.

Kr

Marcus

These are mine, numerals for subsequent tours can be added, but I personaly didn't.

Hi Paul,

the little red crosses are an indication of being wounded in combat. Per such wound one cross was attached to the ribbon. Note : WW1 red crosses are 1 cm, WW2 or later ones half that size. Economical reasons I guess :(

Thanks Hendrik! I bet that these medals demand a much higher premium in the collectors market!

Regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

... much higher premium ...

Oddly enough medals with the red enamelled cross for being wounded don't fetch that much more. It is strange as they aren't encountered that often. Don't tell the dealers though :P

Isn't this one of the joys of collecting in a fairly unknown and underpopulated field? Not many collect Belgian awards and fewer have much knowledge?

But, then, finding them (outside Belgium?) can be a problem.

Edited by Ed_Haynes