News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Nameless" Seymour Collection Medal Bars December 2006 Thies Auction

Guest Rick Research

OK folks, I know that was 17 months ago... but I haven't SEEN a Thies auction catalog since my guru George Seymour died. Mrs Ludvigsen just sent me this catalog today so Better Late Than Never.

If anyone knows where the following medal bars are, I know who they originally belonged to. Won't give data out free into thin air, so either show you've got 'em or send the current owners here with scans of them as they are. And no, I don't do IDs so sellers can make more money off my brains-- ESPECIALLY people I don't know from (the Biblical) Adam.

Los 31

Los 33 (Jani Tiainen had this in 2007)

Los 36 I think EVERYBODY paying attention here knew :cheers: and that HAS come to live with One Of Us :jumping:

Los 37 (probably-- not certain)

Los 39

Los 40 (died on his own property)

December 2006 is the ONLY auction catalog with Seymour/Ludvigsen material that I have.

The other "rendered-nameless" :banger: bars in this catalog still resist identification.

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately the only bar I could get from that auction was the article no. 38... Although an unnamed bar, one of my favourite Godet's bars!

Jani's bar might have been already sold on one of his auctions in 2007 or 2008.... I saw it in the flesh once in Stuttgart a couple of years ago...

Talking about naming and re-unite groups... This last auction I was pissed to have missed Feldmann's (see below, Auction no. 38, article no. 194) ribbon bar: I tried to get it, bidding on the phone, but apparently there was another bidder present at auction, who wanted it so badly... Now he has it, but he had to pay dearly for it: Eur 480.- + 23% commission!!! arghhhhh :speechless1::banger::banger::banger::violent: How could you spend so much on a such ribbon bar! At least I had the big brother (medal bar) to go with, but I wasn't ready to pay more than Eur 500.- to have it!!!

At least I got Jantzen double ribbon bars, art. no. 196, (see : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4109&hl=jantzen), although not that cheap... :unsure:

ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

You are ENTITLED to a ood loud rant, Claudio!

The groups should never have been split apart... and to be left hanging all this time and THEN have some (....) pay that.... :banger:

Los 38 is, I assure you, not forgotten. The sheer array of peacetime Orders SHOULD make it leap off the page... and the only thing I can think of is he was one of those Rittmeister/Hauptmann aD types LONG before the war, back for war duty... nothing else wartime...and we haven't FOUND his final combination in the right pre-war year yet. It takes TIME to hunt through 1500 pages year after year and I suppose LUCK will have some chance because it's crazy to do that every year by year. It'd take weeks--and still no gurantee of success if any of those were retirement gifts.

The truly annoying thing is that of course it WAS identified, by George, and all his research/catalog notes went PFFFFT. That just leaves what is left of my memory...

of 30 years of wonderful groups....

PS Maybe the Cr?sus who bought the STILL "NAMELESS" ribbon bar :speechless: will pay you 3/4 of a million Euros for the MEDAL bar.... :speechless:

OK folks, I know that was 17 months ago... but I haven't SEEN a Thies auction catalog since my guru George Seymour died. Mrs Ludvigsen just sent me this catalog today so Better Late Than Never.

If anyone knows where the following medal bars are, I know who they originally belonged to. Won't give data out free into thin air, so either show you've got 'em or send the current owners here with scans of them as they are. And no, I don't do IDs so sellers can make more money off my brains-- ESPECIALLY people I don't know from (the Biblical) Adam.

Los 31

Los 33 (Jani Tiainen had this in 2007)

Los 36 I think EVERYBODY paying attention here knew :cheers: and that HAS come to live with One Of Us :jumping:

Los 37 (probably-- not certain)

Los 39

Los 40 (died on his own property)

December 2006 is the ONLY auction catalog with Seymour/Ludvigsen material that I have.

The other "rendered-nameless" :banger: bars in this catalog still resist identification.

:unsure: I'm lost here. Are the catalogue numbers above the 2006 A-T catalogue?, because they don't seem to correspond to the 4/2009 catalogue.

Guest Rick Research

I JUST got the December 2006 catalog. Claudio is talking about this week's auction.

PPS Claudio (not Claudius, just to make more confusion! :cheeky: ) IF the Feldmann ribbon bar now turns up on eCrap with two Wehrmacht long service eagles jammed into it for 875 Eurines, I shall issue a Global Fatwah that will make BLOOD squirt out on all seven continents. :rolleyes:

Feldmann's ribbon bar went to Russia, if I remember correctly. At least the buyer - or the one I think - bought that didn't speak German but English with an accent and Thies talked to him something about the Russian auction part...

Those ribbon bars at current Thies' auction made prices... wow...

:speechless1:

@ Sascha: thanks for your intelligence work (Nachrichtendienst) ;)

At least I have the satisfaction that that Russian super rich and spoiled collector had to pay over Eur 500.- for a very nice but nonetheless after 1934 put together ribbon bar... I remember German collectors who very buying in the 80s ribbon bars paying DM 1.- per ribbon + DM 1.- per device...

Now everything seems to be got out of control... I really hope that this current worldwide financial crisis will bring back many people back to reality... but on the other hand what are Eur 500.- for a somebody who can have millions in his bank account? For him Eur 500.- are for me like Eur 5000.- or even more. In my life I can say that I always honestly for my money, though... so at night I can sleep like a baby with a good conscience...

No wonder that nowadays German dealers and auctioneer bring more Russian things on the market and translate their website in Russian... I think without them we would see a considerably drop of prices...

@ Rick: I could gladly sell the Russian my Feldmann's medal bar for Eur 10'000.- if he really badly wants it! I wouldn't hesitate to do that... :cheeky::rolleyes: What was sooo special about that ribbon bar for his however, it's for me a mistery: no other documents were offered along the ribbon bar, I HAVE got the medal bar and, most importantly for Russian collectors, there're no Russian orders, medals or history attached to that bar. There must be something else... boh! Who knows!?

I really hope that this current worldwide financial crisis will bring back many people back to reality...

That happens, happened yet a bit. Look how much wasn't sold at Thies' auction. That's not how it was one or two years ago. Russian stuff especially seems to normalize, at least a bit. I hope it all goes back to... hum... 1980s prices. ;)

There must be something else... boh! Who knows!?

Honestly, I almost have to think it was boredom. I didn't realize the bar matches yours but was very surprised about the price. It is a really nice one - but not thaaat special...

@ Sascha: thanks for your intelligence work (Nachrichtendienst) ;)

At least I have the satisfaction that that Russian super rich and spoiled collector had to pay over Eur 500.- for a very nice but nonetheless after 1934 put together ribbon bar... I remember German collectors who very buying in the 80s ribbon bars paying DM 1.- per ribbon + DM 1.- per device...

Now everything seems to be got out of control... I really hope that this current worldwide financial crisis will bring back many people back to reality... but on the other hand what are Eur 500.- for a somebody who can have millions in his bank account? For him Eur 500.- are for me like Eur 5000.- or even more. In my life I can say that I always honestly for my money, though... so at night I can sleep like a baby with a good conscience...

No wonder that nowadays German dealers and auctioneer bring more Russian things on the market and translate their website in Russian... I think without them we would see a considerably drop of prices...

@ Rick: I could gladly sell the Russian my Feldmann's medal bar for Eur 10'000.- if he really badly wants it! I wouldn't hesitate to do that... :cheeky::rolleyes: What was sooo special about that ribbon bar for his however, it's for me a mistery: no other documents were offered along the ribbon bar, I HAVE got the medal bar and, most importantly for Russian collectors, there're no Russian orders, medals or history attached to that bar. There must be something else... boh! Who knows!?

Claudio,

Sales of awards in Russia were very strongly reduced, especially on the Russian and Soviet awards. Very strongly...

Now even those at whom will not buy millions euro under the prices of summer 2008.

Sales of awards of the German empire never were big and I cannot believe, that it have bought in the Russian collection.

I think business here in other.