News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Sahariana Tunic and cap

Gordon Craig

I recently purchased this tunic and cap and was told by the vendor that he thought it dated from the 40s. There are no markings visible inside the tunic and no indication that there ever was any. No sign of a tailors lable being removed either. From the finished holes for badges it appears to have been made for a specific individual but the badge holes don't show any signs of a badge being installed in them. The regimental badge on the right breast has been sewn on for a long time. I know that tunics like this were used in the Spansih Civil War but not when they were introduced nor when they stopped being worn. I saw one reference that said they were not an official uniform but that many were used anyway. The buttons are made of wood. I would like to gather as much information about this type of uniform and cap as I can. Thanks in advance for your assisyance.

Regards,

Gordon

For what I see, it?s a 2nd LT. Artillery Sahariana. The artillery red badges on the collar are for the 1943 uniform regulation. I?m not an expert in this type of uniforms, but I would say it might be an early civil war uniform updated with the new 1943 badges. I say this mainly for the buttons. Later uniforms had golden buttons with the imperial eagle on them.

About the hat, don?t know much. Looks fine to me. I hope someone will help you out untill I find some additional information.

Regards,

Dolfek.

Dolfek,

Thanks for the info. I've been looking far a book on Spanish uniforms but haven't come up with one yet. Nice to know about the buttons.

Regards,

Gordon

For what I see, it?s a 2nd LT. Artillery Sahariana. The artillery red badges on the collar are for the 1943 uniform regulation. I?m not an expert in this type of uniforms, but I would say it might be an early civil war uniform updated with the new 1943 badges. I say this mainly for the buttons. Later uniforms had golden buttons with the imperial eagle on them.

About the hat, don?t know much. Looks fine to me. I hope someone will help you out untill I find some additional information.

Regards,

Dolfek.

Dolfek,

Some info to add. Here is a cap I picked up this morning at the Ecseri Flea Market here in Budapest. Material matches that of the uniform, a wooden buton on the side and the red "ribbon" on the sides of the cap matches the red on the tunic. Unfortunately, it is missing the cord and tassle from the front.

Regards,

Gordon

I had a book about the Spanish 1943 uniform regulation, but can?t find it. If I remember well, this is an enlisted Infantry cap, is what the red piping means.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Regards,

Dolfek.

• 7 years later...

Hello , The sahariana is post Civil War, 1943 Regulations . the isabelino too , both were of a Alferez , of Artillery, probably commisioned in a Mountain unit ( the green badge with golden horn denotes this ) In peace time the Alferez (sublieutnant)do not have effective command and perfectioned into the units or in the diverse Academies of Infantry Cavalry Artillery and so on .