News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian Law on exporting ODMs

TacHel

The text below is courtesy of Christophe:

According to the Article 7 and 9 of the Law of Russian Federation "On export and import of cultural goods", 15 April 1993, N 4804-1,

Following cultural commodities are not subject to export from Russian Federation, and the Law applies to following categories of items :

* Historical values, among them those connected with historical events in the life of the nation, the development of society and State, the history of science and technology, as well as those related to life and activity of outstanding personalities (state persons, political and public figures, scientists and artists)

* Items and their fragments, obtained as a result of archaeological excavations

* Artistic values, among them :

* Paintings and drawings that are fully handmade, on any kind of warp, made of any kind of material;

* Original sculptures made of any kind of material, including relieves;

* Original artistic compositions and montages made of any kind of material;

* Artistically mounted items of religious purpose, including icons;

* Engravings, prints, lithographs and their original printing forms;

* Works of arts and crafts, including works in glass, ceramics, wood, metal, ivory, fabric and other materials;

* Works of traditional folk handicraft;

* Components and fragments of monuments of architecture and historical monuments

* Ancient books, editions of special interest (historical, artistic, scientific and literary), separately or in collections

* Rare manuscripts and documentary relics

* Archives, including photography, sound and film archives

* Unique and rare musical instruments

* Postal stamps, other philatelic materials, separately or in collections

* Ancient coins, orders, medals, seals and other collected items

* Rare collections and samples of flora and fauna, items of interest to the scientific fields of mineralogy, anatomy and palaeontology

* Copies of historical, artistic, scientific or different value, as well as those under protection as historical and cultural relics. "

Edited by TacHel

What does this mean to a collector seeking Russian Federation ODMs?

It means be VERY CAREFUL where and who you buy them from! Russian dealers will gladly sell them to you in person or via the internet, but you will probably see them confiscated (and possibly face criminal charges) when leaving the country, or if via the internet, they will probably never arrive.

Seek out dealers from Eastern Europe, Belarus, Lithuania, Ukraine etc. The choice will be somewhat limited, but it will be much safer. You will eventually find what you're looking for, your patience will be rewarded.

Edited by TacHel

• 11 months later...

Possible relaxation of Russian laws.

I have NO OFFICIAL PROOF of this but...

There seems to be a change of attitudes in Russia as far as exporting ODMs goes. More and more merchants and auction sites now accept to ship anywhere in the World. I myself am now dealing with a merchant there and there's no problem and no attempt at smuggling or hiding the truth from the Russian authorities. Everything is on the up and up, parcels are clearly marked with customs declarations detailing the contents and to date, everything has made it.

The ONLY article I have found lately on this subject talked about one individual exporting without a customs declaration and he received a minor fine.

I will share with you any new developments as I find them.

Hi François,

Let's be prudent...

Here is a post I have done somewhere else, in April 2009. I have nothing to add, except that with your merchant, I believe and understand he sends you modern / present productions only. I remember a few months ago, when in Moscow, in Izmailovo market, sellers hiding themselves to show me orders of the Soviet times. I believe it is still the case for "historical" objects... subjects of the law below :

Russian law on the exportation of ODMs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what say the texts (always better than interpretations or speculations...) :

________

According to the Article 7 and 9 of the Law of Russian Federation On export and import of cultural goods, 15 April 1993, N 4804-1,

Following cultural commodities are not subject to export from Russian Federation, and the Law applies to following categories of items :

* Historical values, among them those connected with historical events in the life of the nation, the development of society and State, the history of science and technology, as well as those related to life and activity of outstanding personalities (state persons, political and public figures, scientists and artists)

* Items and their fragments, obtained as a result of archaeological excavations

* Artistic values, among them :

* Paintings and drawings that are fully handmade, on any kind of warp, made of any kind of material;

* Original sculptures made of any kind of material, including relieves;

* Original artistic compositions and montages made of any kind of material;

* Artistically mounted items of religious purpose, including icons;

* Engravings, prints, lithographs and their original printing forms;

* Works of arts and crafts, including works in glass, ceramics, wood, metal, ivory, fabric and other materials;

* Works of traditional folk handicraft;

* Components and fragments of monuments of architecture and historical monuments

* Ancient books, editions of special interest (historical, artistic, scientific and literary), separately or in collections

* Rare manuscripts and documentary relics

* Archives, including photography, sound and film archives

* Unique and rare musical instruments

* Postal stamps, other philatelic materials, separately or in collections

* Ancient coins, orders, medals, seals and other collected items

* Rare collections and samples of flora and fauna, items of interest to the scientific fields of mineralogy, anatomy and palaeontology

* Copies of historical, artistic, scientific or different value, as well as those under protection as historical and cultural relics. "

________

Now, has this law been updated ? Are there other texts ? I don't know...

These are texts.

Concretely and on the ground, I am told that what is official and more recent than 1945 (some say 1955... but who will make the difference, the customs employees ? ) is OK and tolerated for exports. Of course this is valid if these are small things. I doubt it is possible and authorised to export a 70s period Order of Lenin....

The ministries and departments awards ? They look so close to "unofficial" medals (Umalatova, Committees...) and are so widely available for sale that I don't think there should be a problem. Of course the situation would be different if it is an awarded and attributed medal with document. I believe (just believe, not facts) that there should be a difficulty to export them.

Now, the secret is the customs employees vigilance and knowledge about this, and from where you leave Russia, and as always your look and behaviour... Quite a complex alchemy, I agree... A final word : don't play the game if you are not an expert in its rules. A few "western tourists" have been put in jail for playing this "game".

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

• 1 year later...

A very interesting development on this subject of lawful exportation of Russian ODMs.

It would seem the Russian government (courts) have finally identified "ancient" as meaning 50+ years. Although I haven't found any written evidence of this, many Russian dealers and sellers in on line auction sites now accept to ship outside of Russia if the items are less than 50 years old. More and more Russian sellers are appearing on eBay and other auction sites. I personally have been dealing with multiple Russian dealers without problem for a few years now.

The only problem is usually how to get the money to the seller, many are using a proxy on PayPal, that's how I've been dealing for a few years without the slightest hitch. (Knocks on wood).

• 11 months later...

Hello,

at the end of a stay in Russia, if customs find items prohibited for export in your luggage these items will be confiscated, you'll be fined, and you will be banned lifelong from any further stay in Russia...

Hello,

at the end of a stay in Russia, if customs find items prohibited for export in your luggage these items will be confiscated, you'll be fined, and you will be banned lifelong from any further stay in Russia...

Yes, the Russian authorities have a very limited sense of humour in this case.

The advice I received from colleagues who often go there and are fluent in Russian is that, if you can't speak the language fluently and thus won't be able to prevent a potential escalation of a customs agent cursery search, don't even try if there's the slightest chance an item might be in a grey zone... You'll miss your flight, then the day will very rapidly get worse.

Hello, Mr Frank! It's me again, read this topic. Simply surprised, but nice to read that less than 50 year old item is okay for exporting. For future references, may I ask about this law further more? How about monetary value of okay items? Is there restrictions? Quantity? Is there anything regarding numbers? What or how does Russian customs rate if I come up with more than justifiable number for them?

I am unaware of any monetary limit... But common sense must be omnipresent here, they will NOT let you leave the country with a modern Order or any other high and potentially valuable "state award". Some customs agents will NOT even allow high minsiterial/departmental awards to go through...

Commemorative medals and badges are usually safe IF you can clearly identify them as such, hence the usefullness of speaking some Russian.