News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Massachusetts at War

Bear

I thought I'd post all my Massachusetts military commissions into one thread. During the American Revolution the years (1775-1778) were fought mainly in the North while (1779-1781) were fought mainly in the South. All I need is one from 1775.

thanks,

barry

This is a military commission from the French & Indian War(1754-1763).

FRANCIS BERNARD, Esq;

Captain General and Governor in Chief, in and over His Majesty?s Province of the Massachusetts-Bay in New-England, and Vice-Admiral of the Same

(Signed)

Fra Bernard

To Edmund Little Gent. Greeting. By Virtue of the Power and Authority in and His Majesty?s Royal Commission to Me granted to be Captain General, over this His Majesty?s Province of the Massachusetts Bay aforesaid I do by those Presents(reposing especial Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty Courage and good Conduct) constitute and appoint You the Said Edmund Little to be Captain of the 6th military Company in the town of Newbury, in the Regiment of Militia in the County of Essex, where of Joseph Gerrish is Colonel. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge the Duty of a Captain in leading, ordering and exercising said Company in Arms both inferior Officers and Soldiers and to keep them in good Order and Discipline and they are hereby commanded to obey you as their Captain and you are your self observe and follow such Orders and Instructions as you shall from time to time receive from your Colonel, or other your Officers according to military Rules and Discipline, to the Trust reposed in you.

Given under my Hand and Seal at Arms at Boston, the twenty fifth Day of February In the Second Year of the Reign of His Majesty King GEORGE the THIRD, Annoq; Domini, 1762

By His Excellency?s

Command,

(Signed)

John Cotton

This is a military commission from the American Revolution 1776(1775-1783).

COLONY of MASSACHUSETTS BAY

The Major Part of the COUNCIL of Massachusetts-Bay, in New England.

To Mr. Seth Phillips Greeting.

You being appointed Ensign of a Company of Militia in the First Battalion now being raised in the countys [sic] of Plymouth & Bristol where of Simeon Cary Esq. is Colonel & of which Company Freedom Chamberlain is Captain for reinforcing the Continental Army of New York.

By Virtue of the Power Vested in us, We do by Presents, (reposing Special Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty, Courage, and good Conduct,) Commission you accordingly. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge the Duty of a Ensign in leading, ordering, and exercising said Regiment in Arms, both Inferior Officers and Soldiers; and to keep them in good Order and Discipline: And they are hereby commanded to obey you as their Ensign and you are yourself, to observe and follow such Orders and Instructions as you shall from Time to Time receive from The Major part of the Council or your Superior Officers.

GIVEN under our Hands, and the Seal of the said State, at Watertown the Eighth Day of July in the Year of Our Lord, 1776.

By the Command of the

Major-Part of the Council.

(Signed)

John Lowell

This is a military commission from the American Revolution 1777(1775-1783).

STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS BAY

To Edward Proctor Greeting.

You being appointed First Major of the Boston Regiment Where of Jabez Hatch Esq. is Colonel. By Virtue of the Power Vested in us, We do by Presents, (reposing Special Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty, Courage, and good Conduct,) Commission you accordingly. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge the Duty of a First Major in leading, ordering, and exercising said Regiment in Arms, both Inferior Officers and Soldiers; and to keep them in good Order and Discipline: And they are hereby commanded to obey you as their First Major and you are yourself, to observe and follow such Orders and Instructions as you shall from Time to Time receive from The Major part of the Council or your Superior Officers.

GIVEN under our Hands, and the Seal of the said State, at Boston the Eighteenth Day of July in the Year of Our Lord, 1777.

By the Command of the

(Signed)

John Avery

This is a military commission from the American Revolution 1778(1775-1783).

STATE of MASSACHUSETTS BAY

To Ephraim Lane Greetings.

You being appointed First Lieutenant of a Company of Matrosses commanded by Seth Lane in the town of Norton in the Brigade of Militia in the County of ? Where of George Godfrey Esq. Is Brigadier. By Virtue of the Power Vested in us, We do by Presents, (reposing Special Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty, Courage, and good Conduct,) Commission you accordingly. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge the Duty of a First Lieutenant in leading, ordering, and exercising said Regiment in Arms, both Inferior Officers and Soldiers; and to keep them in good Order and Discipline: And they are hereby commanded to obey you as their First Lieutenant and you are yourself, to observe and follow such Orders and Instructions as you shall from Time to Time receive from The Major part of the Council or your Superior Officers.

GIVEN under our Hands, and the Seal of the said State, at Boston the Thirtieth Day of July in the Year of Our Lord, 1778.

By the Command of the

(Signed)

John Avery

Interesting note: The 1776 commission list Mass. as a colony, while 1777/8 list Mass. as a state. Massachusetts officially became a state on 2/6/1788.

Guest Rick Research

Also interesting that a regiment of Matroses should be raised in Norton, which has no more direct access to the sea than I do upstream on The Island. :Cat-Scratch: :speechless1:

Hello Rick,

I just ordered a book that list most(90%) of the officers that served in the revolution. I'm hoping that some of these guys will be in it. Here is a little note on the 1778. I think that when Benedict Arnold turned the Congress made all officers take the oath again. I'll have to check the dates on when this took place.

thanks,

barry

Guest Rick Research

Ephraim Lane III (July 9, 1739-April 9, 1826--both in Norton) married 1764 Elizabeth Copeland.

Son of Ephraim Lane Jr (1717-1800) and Mehitable Stone (1719-1774).

Can't locate Seth. Another of those wretched name everybody the same thing for generations tribes.

The fact that 39 year old Ephraim 3rd was only a 1st Lt suggests that Seth (who can't have been his brother, so some sort of cousin) was older or had more property--as those things went then.

Towns up here were quartered, and each section had a "Captain" on down. Given populations, a Captain was really about a Sergeant, in militia, and over many years chances were good that anybody with a big family or local influence would rotate through and end up as a captain.

My 4th great grandfather was only a teenaged private during the war, but was a town militia captain by his 50s.

ESPECIALLY when the unit was NOT being raised to go off to the front, ranks in New England militia were tied very much to the local social and economic pecking order. Basically, they were nominated by very public acclaim of their neighbors and simply formalized at the capitol.

Guest Rick Research

Ah, that will be for the REGULARS in the Continental Army, not state militia officers. ( :unsure: You know, those Society of the Cincinnati types....)

Still no recourse but the salad green moldy Massachusetts registers at my town library.

I got my book in today and its mostly regulars. However it has a nice section on French officers who served under American command.

Freedom Chamberlain

A nice French & Indian War Massachussetts commission with an early mention of Artemas Ward.

FRANCIS BERNARD, Esq;

Captain General and Governor in Chief, in and over His Majesty?s Province of the Massachusetts-Bay in New-England, and Vice-Admiral of the Same

(Signed)

Fra Bernard

To Aaron Warren Gent. Greeting. By Virtue of the Power and Authority in and His Majesty?s Royal Commission to Me granted to be Captain General, over this His Majesty?s Province of the Massachusetts Bay aforesaid I do by those Presents(reposing especial Trust and Confidence in your Loyalty Courage and good Conduct) constitute and appoint You the Said Aaron Warren Ensign of a military Company of Foot in ye Town of Upton, whereof Ezra Wood is Captain, and in the Regiment of Militia in the county of Worcester, whereof Artemas Ward Esq. is Colonol. You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge the Duty of a Ensign in leading, ordering and exercising said Company in Arms both inferior Officers and Soldiers and to keep them in good Order and Discipline and they are hereby commanded to obey you as their Ensign and you are your self observe and follow such Orders and Instructions as you shall from time to time receive from your Captain, or other your Officers according to military Rules and Discipline, to the Trust reposed in you. Given under my Hand and Seal at Arms at Boston, the first Day of July In the Second Year of the Reign of His Majesty King GEORGE the THIRD, Annoq; Domini, 1762

By His Excellency?s

Command,

(Signed)

John Cotton