News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

You can?t always believe what you see, here is chrome Huntingdonshire helmet plate. What?s unusual is that they never had one. So is it a sample or did an officer decide to have one chromed as a gift? Will we ever know? If you do know please tell me.

What did they wear on their helmets ? There is more to this helmet plate then you think. Firstly, the manufacturers would not supply to an individual - would be an offence . Also, the Force name is properly stamped and it would cost too much for a one off. I will suggest two possibilities - and let's see if anyone else can offer another explanation.

My suggestions : 1. Often Chief Constables have truncheons painted to give as gifts to visiting V.I.P.'s - could a number of these have been ordered to mount as a plaque for presentation ? 2. It may be an official sample - ordered by the Watch Committee - before placing an order ?

Whatever the explanation - if they never used this type on their helmets , then you have a valuable item.

What do other people think?

I go along with any of the above sugestions.

A one piece badge I take it, rather than a decapitated Kings Crown with replacement St Edwards Crown?

Without having it x-rayed, I could not say for certain as the chrome makes a wonderful cover. But looking at it with a magnifying glass and comparing it to blackened brass and one I have on a helmet I would say replacement crown but then again so does the Mid Anglia I have which has no reason to have been recrowned.

The picture shows QC Huntingdon Helmet from my collection I also have the uniform to go with it plus the details and photo of the officer it belonged to.

Are you saying that this Force only used blackened helmet plates ? That would be very rare - the Met. had them for night duty and Ulster had the small black version - but, that was in order not to give an aiming mark - and therefore, exceptional.

I think we should look a little closer at Huntingdonshire and it's equipment ??? Leigh, was this near your old area?

Well done to Alan - you've given us something to think about.

Are you saying that this Force only used blackened helmet plates ? That would be very rare - the Met. had them for night duty and Ulster had the small black version - but, that was in order not to give an aiming mark - and therefore, exceptional.

I think we should look a little closer at Huntingdonshire and it's equipment ??? Leigh, was this near your old area?

Well done to Alan - you've given us something to think about.

From my research I have found In 1890 Huntingdon wore a Shako style hat with no Badge in 1896 they had cocks comb helmet with possible a white metal plate(doubtful poor quality photocopy of a photo) I have never seen one and there was not one in the police museum at Thorpe Wood Police Station.

1908 black plate black comb helmet

1927 black plate black comb helmet

1950 black plate large chrome CoA centre rose top helmet

1957 kchp? Again poor quality photocopy of a photo

1965 black plate small chrome CoA centre rose top helmet

Any one have any other information I would be pleased to hear from them

Alan - do you have any dates for the formation of the Force ? Being so small they have obviously gone their own way with some things. I have never seen a truncheon, or, any other identifiable piece of equipment from them.

Huntingdon County Constabulary was formed on 6/4/1857 (existing until 31/3/1965) followng The Police Act 1856.

There had been a Borough Constabulary before that though.

Yes Merv, Huntingdon is about 10 miles from the village that I live in, there is police station there & Hinchingbrooke at Huntingdon is the site of Cambridgeshire Constabulary Force HQ.

It's abot 20 miles from Peterborough where I was based & my wife is currently based at Huntingdon

Alan - do you have any dates for the formation of the Force ? Being so small they have obviously gone their own way with some things. I have never seen a truncheon, or, any other identifiable piece of equipment from them.

Mervyn

My first inspector and a colleague of his both ex Huntingdon officers, wrote a book / copied a lot of standing orders hence my knowledge of Huntingdon Police.

They were formed 1857 by the joining of Huntingdon Boro and Godmanchester Boro which had given a add hoc policing system to the area prior to the 1875 act which brought in rules and regulations. As far as I am aware nothing is know of Godmanchester Boro, Huntingdon shire amalgamated into Mid Anglia 1965

I have a lamp with the force crest and name with QC on the front plate made by Forster Huncote Leics with Red & Green Filters. I also have the Orders and regulations hand book by George Davies Capt RN Chief Constable (he was at the same time CC of Cambridgeshire) approved by the Justices in Quarter Sessions 6th April 1857 and issued to PC 22 Robert Hamilton who joined 8/5/1857 front inside cover reads Issued and for the guidance of PCNo.22 Huntingdonshire Constabulary and signed Geo. Davies Chief Constable .

Don?t ask why but this came from the USA thanks to Ebay.

I will see if I can find any other items that can be attributed to Huntingdonshire.

Alan