News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice original example of the type generally attributed to Juncker of Berlin.

Hello!

Wow, thanks for help.I bought this 2/5-2009 in a Militaria show here in Norway (220?). :beer:

All the best

Nesredep

Its a Zinc one. The retaining clip on Tombak examples is soldered directly to the badge. On Zinc pieces it is soldered to a small metal disc which is then affixed to the badge. Soldering a narrow clip to the Zink would result in a very weak joint. The bigger surface area of the disc makes for a stronger joint.

Hi Guys !

Nice U-Boot Badge , Nep!

Not any rules without exeptions , hand inspection it look like Tombak to my , but light was not best where we look at it .

Was never in doubt that this was a real badge , beleived to be made by Juncker . But still a very nice badge for a good price .

Here is one of Mine .

Jan Arne

Edited by Jan Arne S

Interesting that this thread just came up since Gordon discussed it with me just a few days ago based on another zinc example that looked like it was made of tombak. Juncker apparently made such a high quality zinc badge that it fools you into thinking in was tombak. The hardware suggests otherwise however especially since Juncker did have a tombak version with the correct tomak hardware.

IMO, all the badges posted are high quality zinc Juncker badges and relatively rare.

John

Its a Zinc one. The retaining clip on Tombak examples is soldered directly to the badge. On Zinc pieces it is soldered to a small metal disc which is then affixed to the badge. Soldering a narrow clip to the Zink would result in a very weak joint. The bigger surface area of the disc makes for a stronger joint.

Hello!

Gordon

Thanks for this interesting information. :violent:

I have seen Tomback badge with this small metal disc.

All the best

Nesredep

Here is one of the Zinc Junckers I owned. This one was sold to me as Tombak. (The seller refunded part of the payment when I pointed out it was Zinc. If you find one of these with a nice toned finish it can look very much like tombak and the weight isn't significantly different either.

However, as well as the use of the disc for mounting the retaining clip, there is a visible difference in die characteristics between Zinc and Tombak examples,

Look at the area above the stern of the boat which is circled.

Now look at the Tombak version and you will see, in this same position, the tip of an additional leaf just showing above the stern of the boat.

Whatever it looks and feels like, if this leaf tip is missing and it has the retaining clip mounted on a disc - it is a Zinker.

Now look at the Tombak version and you will see, in this same position, the tip of an additional leaf just showing above the stern of the boat.

Whatever it looks and feels like, if this leaf tip is missin ::g and it has the retaining clip mounted on a disc - it is a Zinker.

Hello!

Gordon

Thanks for all interesting information and point. :beer:

All the best

Nesredep

• 4 months later...