News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

19thC. INDO-PERSIAN DAGGER

This is a 19th century Indo/Persian belt dagger - known as a KARD - however, I expect it has other names . The areas of main use were Northern India,Pakistan, Persia and prob. into Afghanistan.

This example is unusual in that the original scabbard is present - leather, with an interesting top piece which has been pierced to show the red cloth underneath. The gold at the end of the sheath is pure beaten gold and when new it must have gleamed.

Obviously for a person of some importance, the brass fittings on the hilt and guard would have been gilded - now, mostly worn off. Overall it is 18.5 inches (45cm) and the blade - which is finely engraved is 11 in. (28cm)

Would be nice to see some examples from other members.

Lovely weapon and great to have the sheath too.

We have a similar one in the Museum that I know of, from the Pashtun people of the NW Frontier, Pakistan. Alternative name is KARUD. Will post photo tomorrow.

Certainly used in Afghanistan as well, part of a family of Central Asian stabbing/armour-piercing knives known as PESHQABZ/PESHKABZ, usually with ivory handle. The name PESHQABZ is Persian for 'fore-grip' I think.

The blades are usualy straight, T-section, although there are some examples with a slight reverse curve blade. Similar weapon made by tribes of the Khyber called a CHOORA.

Probably something in Egerton about the various types and provenances.

karud: collected ?1930s in NW Frontier region, Pakistan. Blade is decorated with a damascened/etched pattern of scrolling leaves and small animals, such as birds and horses. The ivory handle is richly decorated with silver, incised with floral patterns and painted with red pigment to imitate enamel. The wooden sheath is bound with leather and decorated with stamped circles and indented lines. This leather is covered at the locket and chape with two large sheets of silver and two smaller silver bands, all decorated with repousse flowers.

This is great to see another one - of what, is obviously a generic pattern. Your example is even more heavily decorated, I wonder if their is a difference in 'rank' with the gold on one and silver on the other ? I see what you mean about the points either, having a turned-up end or, a straight one. The armour piercing capabalities of this weapon can be easily seen with the solid construction - particularly, when most tribal armour was chain mail.

Didn't Pitt-Rivers have something to do with Dorchester and the excavations at Maiden Castle ? I acquired at auction - some years ago - three carrier bags of stone age flint implements and I am sure it mentioned his name. I suppose the Dorchester Museum sold them off - they must have thousands from all the excavations ?

• 10 months later...

Hello

I finally found it. First for all things ethnic, let me recommend to you, if you only have one book on the subject "George Cameron Stones, A Glossary of the construction, decoration & use of Arms & Armour in all countries and all time" It tries very hard to achieve that, which is impossible but does very well in general.

This knife isn't usually known as a kard as far as I'm aware. Its a much closer relative to the Khyber knife (which is often more of a sword) from Afghan areas, known as a choora. There is a similar Persian version known as a Peshkabz but I'd say this was Afghan, Northern Indian.

They come in all shapes, sizes and qualities. They can be of considerable age or none as it is a very traditional style and continues to be made today.

Here photos of a couple of mine, similar but also very different.

P1000626.jpg

P1000624.jpg

P1000627.jpg

Edited by Andy D

• 6 years later...
    On 7 May 2009 at 10:37, Mervyn Mitton said:

CT_2725.jpg

This is a 19th century Indo/Persian belt dagger - known as a KARD - however, I expect it has other names . The areas of main use were Northern India,Pakistan, Persia and prob. into Afghanistan.

This example is unusual in that the original scabbard is present - leather, with an interesting top piece which has been pierced to show the red cloth underneath. The gold at the end of the sheath is pure beaten gold and when new it must have gleamed.

Obviously for a person of some importance, the brass fittings on the hilt and guard would have been gilded - now, mostly worn off. Overall it is 18.5 inches (45cm) and the blade - which is finely engraved is 11 in. (28cm)

Would be nice to see some examples from other members.

Can you tell me anything about this one ?

image.jpeg