News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

All ranks wore it, including on Battle Dress, according to Brian Leigh Davies, British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two.

I`m sure it was just Officers that wore it on their battledress until the 1950`s. But whether that includes Warrant Officers, I couldn`t say.

The "flash" was worn by the Royal Welch Fusiliers (& I hope is still worn by the "new" regiment that they were amalgamated into).

The regiment was serving in America when the army was ordered to stop wearing cued hair, pigtails, in 1808, & out of communication or merely out of reach of authority continued wearing them. When they did stop wearing the pigtail, they retained the black "flash" that was worn at the back of the collar to prevent the fats & white pomades of the cue staining the tunic.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your replies. It appears that yes the Flash was worn by all ranks, when on ceremonial duties, guard & when walking out, however, only the Officers appear to have worn it whilst in the field. I have found some pictures of Officers in France (1944/45) giving an O group, were the Flash can clearly be seen, I`ve also found pictures of O/R`s were they do not have the Flash on, again in France 1944/45. Interestingly it was the TA Battalions that served in France during this period, the Regular battalions where both in Burma.

Finally, yes the new `super` Regiment does still wear the Flash & the Hackle, but they have a new cap badge.

Yes, it's a pity that they could'nt have kept the grenade badge, perhaps with dragon & immortelles on the ball, it always looks a bit strange to me, a hackle with a non-grenade badge under it, though there are precedents such as the Royal Inniskillng Fusilers wearing just the castle at one time.

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your replies. It appears that yes the Flash was worn by all ranks, when on ceremonial duties, guard & when walking out, however, only the Officers appear to have worn it whilst in the field. I have found some pictures of Officers in France (1944/45) giving an O group, were the Flash can clearly be seen, I`ve also found pictures of O/R`s were they do not have the Flash on, again in France 1944/45. Interestingly it was the TA Battalions that served in France during this period, the Regular battalions where both in Burma.

Finally, yes the new `super` Regiment does still wear the Flash & the Hackle, but they have a new cap badge.

Senior NCOs and WOs of 2nd RWF wore the flash on SD in the Great War as I understand it. A sergeant when offered the [staff] appointment of Sgt Cook asked "and shall I wear the flash?"

unfortunately, the fag card illustration is pure rubbish!

Yes, it's hardly an accurate representation, but I like the old cigarette cards even tho' they can be extremely naccurate in terms of the insignia etc they show.

I've always liked this photo of Major Bles, in this case as shown in Chappell's "Service Dress 1902 - 1940", in "The British Soldier in the 20th Century" series (Wessex Military Publishing 1987).

Does'nt really show any detail of the flash, but it's a nice photo.

Worn on Battledress, 1948, from the RWF edition of "The Regiment".

According to that publication the flash continued in by officers of the 23rd following the abolition of the cue in 1808 & was approved by King William IV in 1834.

It was worn only by officers, Warrant Officers & Staff Sergeants prior to 1900, after that it was worn by all ranks in Full Dress.

In 1924 it was approved for wear on ceremonial parades & when walking out, & as of 1996 was worn by regular, TA & cadet battalions.

Edited by leigh kitchen

never say never, regarding RWF, a very idiosyncratic regiment indeed. I would be not at all surprised if the RSM and some other senior appointments managed to sport a flash.

I agree the Razman in his almost god like status, would almost certainly have worn the Flash, like the officers, however, I think I`m right in saying that the remainder of the enlisted filth, would not have worn it, on their battledress `per se`.