News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RARE INDIAN POLICE UNIFORM - PRE-1947

To start off this new World Police Forum, I have looked through available photos and have come-up with this rare uniform.

For INDIA POLICE pre1947 , when it was still under British admin. Not sure of it's exact date - perhaps someone can help ?

The uniform is fairly standard British colonial - what is rare is the dress cross belt. Note the beautiful silver badges with 'IP' - also, the leather pouch , which goes in the small of the back. This has been in a cupboard for over 30 years and I had to get a friend to take photos in UK - dusting wasn't in his job description !!

Rear of uniform - with close-up of pouch badge.

May I say to fellow members - particularly those with a history - or, knowledge of other police forces - please join-in . The success , or failure, of this new sub-forum is in our hands -- and remember, WE ASKED FOR THIS SITE.

Very nice.

While it is a little hard to tell, it looks to me like a King's Crown, which would put it sometime after 1903. Not much work has been done on uniforms and badges of the IPS, however. As the use of "IP" as a badge was, so far as I can tell, not sanctioned until 1907, this is most likely after that date.

Most police were provincial.

Rear of uniform - with close-up of pouch badge.

May I say to fellow members - particularly those with a history - or, knowledge of other police forces - please join-in . The success , or failure, of this new sub-forum is in our hands -- and remember, WE ASKED FOR THIS SITE.

Ah . . . postings crossed. King's Crown and "IP" for sure, so 1907-47.

Congratulations on the first post of this new section, Mervyn.

Great unform.

It started me thinking, "Now where did I put that photo...?"

I found it but it fits under the other area of this new section so I'll post it there.

Regards

Brian

Hi - Brian

For some reason you rarely see the uniforms of ordinary police in the old colonial admins. - I thought this was very interesting. In Africa, most British countries wore a standardised uniform of grey shirt,shorts and a cap - maybe, someone will have a photo?

What was significant with the Indian Police, was that constables used to carry a staff, called a LATHI. It was a most fearsome weapon - about 5 feet high (90 cm.?) and was usually capped with a heavy brass top and could deliver a mortal blow. Their favourite way to use it was in a sweeping motion - at about knee height - about the only way to keep the masses at bay !! I have been many times to India, but the sheer numbers of people is quite frightening. I have some Lathis in UK - will get someone to take photos.

Are you going to post the special constables items , you mentioned you were getting - we have some new 'ex- Specials' joined.

I made a point of going on the U.S. sub-forum and mentioned this new section - told them we would like posts on THEIR police. May I suggest, that every time one of us goes on another sub-forum - particularly the European ones - that we mention this site and ask them to post on their police ?

I have a few more items suitable for this sub-heading and will post them - but, as Leigh said , we should all be looking for items. We asked for this to be added.

Rank - Superintendent, I believe. (A European, of course.)

With some more checking, this style of uniform seems to have been dropped after WWI (but, police being police, they kept on wearing it later).