News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

He seems to have missed the fun in 1866, but again in 1870 he answered the call, serving this time on the home front, earning a KDM von Stahl am Combattanten-Band.

Guest Rick Research

Amazing how such fragile paper can survive.

But he DIDN'T skip 1866. Back side of post #2 above is handwritten conduct attestation for him as "Wehrmann und Gefreiter" in 3rd Company, Fusileer Regiment 39, called up 15 May. Took part in battles of the "Main Armee" at H?nefeld 4 July, Hammelberg 10 July, Helmstadt 25 July and Ro?brunn 26 July. Discharged 29 September 1866 and signed off on by the regimental CO.

He may simply have been left behind in 1870 as in his 30s with enough younger men with fresher training that they didn't need him. He was certainly a combat veteran who you'd have thought they WOULD need-- but maybe they simply had enough without HIM. Or they wanted somebody left with the too old, too young, UNtrained rear area types as a "stiffener."

:cheers:

Thanks, Rick. I guess the '66 doc didn't survive. The Urlaubs-Pa?/Fuhrungs-Attest almost didn't. Speaking of which, are the entries for March and June locations in Schleswig? I can't really make them out, but they don't appear to be German place names. I imagine von Heister was the grandson of Leutnant-General Leopold who led the Hessians in the American Revolution.

Guest Rick Research

Remote link doesn't work for me. You really need a nice Epson flatbed scanner.

Remote link doesn't work for me. You really need a nice Epson flatbed scanner.

If certain parties in Germany will quit taking all my money and sending me goodies I'll get one :cheeky: