News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BRITISH SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE CAP

The British South Africa Police were established in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) by Cecil John Rhodes in the early days of the 1890's. They were intended as a force to take over the local people and to protect the Company's (his) interests. They were originally named The British South Africa Company Police. Their officers were mainly ex British military officers - and they were, and continued to be, a para-military force. They carried revolvers and rifles and had heavier weapons available. Their discipline was exceptional and they were always held up as being the best Colonial Force - outside of the UK. ( Meaning The Met. of course !)

They lasted until 1980 and then became The Zimbabwe Police - noted now for their oppression and force against unarmed civilians. We have half of the population living in Sth. Africa .

This cap - prior to 1980 was for the BSAP - and this pattern of bullion badge was reserved for officers, with a smaller version for women officers. Uniform - and in fact anything from the BSAP - is now keenly sought after.

In the spirit of this new and very different forum, this is a photograph of my collection of BSAP badges and insignia. I have tried to stay away from the more modern versions and variations. Of interest may be the brass horse bridle bosses located in the bottom row.

Regards,

Will

This is a bit :off topic: and perhaps to you who have a closer connection to policing and the British Empire it may sound a bit silly, but there was a series on the PBS Mystery show here in the states about ten years ago called "Heat of the Sun" that I thouroughly enjoyed. It was about a Metropolitan Police detective supervisor (payed by Trevor Eve) in the 1950's or maybe later, who got into some kind of trouble, and is sent to Kenya as "punishment" and becomes an officer of the local police there. He is, of course, a bit of a wild one and has a ramrod straight, ultra-military, commanding officer (played by Michael Byrne) that is always after him about something. I have no idea how realistic it may have been, but I enjoyed it immensely and wish there had been more episodes than there were.

• 3 weeks later...

In the spirit of this new and very different forum, this is a photograph of my collection of BSAP badges and insignia. I have tried to stay away from the more modern versions and variations. Of interest may be the brass horse bridle bosses located in the bottom row.

Regards,

Will

I wish people would not refer to the BSAP as ' The British South African Police '; often considered the best of the Southern African police forces,it was always ' The British South Africa Police '. Restore credibility and correct the Display Board header !

I take your point that it is The British South Africa Police -and it is referred to as such. I- without thinking, when I was typing - did put African , however, I am unable to change this heading now. We - who actually live-in Southern Africa - do tend to think of it as an area. Are you an ex-Rhodie - not many other people would get upset at a small typing error? Incidentally,sabrigade is a retired senior officer and doesn't deserve to be 'told off' like this. Mervyn Mitton

Dear Thomas - I am so pleased that you are enjoying GMIC - I have seen your posts and thought them interesting. You've got the sword to go on yet ! Yes - I think I must have given a good laugh over PaulC's post. I never gave a thought to it being a joke - I was thinking - he must be our oldest member and having just watched - The Last Voices from World War One - DSTV on Tuesday evenings - I was feeling very generous towards 'old soldiers'. Did you see I changed my intro. to Ramblings (Lounge) , to include him on my 'hate' list.

Mike - I think we all missed your mention of the TV series.Sorry ! We don't see all of these programmes in S.A. - but, it sounds pretty typical for the BBC - they always 'do' period pieces very well. I would say - if the description of the people showed a certain 'snobbish' and autocratic background - then yes ! That would be a good description - in my book - for a lot of the English that worked in East Africa some years ago. They were often what we call 'remittance' men - unwanted at home and sent to the Colonies with a monthly remittance. Kenya particularly, had numbers of them - they made the film - 'White Mischief' about their bad behaviour in the 1930's. England has nothing to be proud about some of the 'layabouts' who governed our possessions - fortunately the majority were good administrators and respected their people. In all honesty, and I have lived in most parts of the World - if I was a 'local' - I wouldn't be that keen on my past masters !! - and I include Germans, Dutch, Fench, Spanish and Portuguese in that.

I wish people would not refer to the BSAP as ' The British South African Police '; often considered the best of the Southern African police forces,it was always ' The British South Africa Police '. Restore credibility and correct the Display Board header !

We'll get the offending "n" typo from the heading, speaking as someone who himself waded in as soon as he arrived on forum & posted in much the same way as you have (in my case criticising people for providing totally inaccurate info concerning British topics), I don't think I'd get too excited over a simple typo by someone who knows his stuff & has simply fluffed a key.

Thanks for pointing it out, bear in mind that this is not the definitive work on the BSAP, it's a thread on a forum for people who are interested in discussing military & police subjects in a friendly & helpful environment as presumably you are, & please contribute info that you feel will be of interest to others.

Edited by leigh kitchen