News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War star ribbon bar

As Mr. Spock used to say -- and I guess still does in reruns -- "Fascinating."

The colors have, obviously, not fared well. Can anything be seen on the reverse or is it too tightly sewn to its French-style backing? Anything from peeping into the cracks?

My reading (with way <100% certainty):

1- Wissam al-Askari/Order of the Military (class unknown); Dakhla Medal (?); Order of the War Star (gilt star)

2- Order of the War Star (silver star?); Wissam al-Rida / Order of Civil Merit (?? class)

In case you wondered:

Wissam al-Askari - Awarded to officers and men of the armed forces, gendarmerie and auxiliary forces who distinguish themselves by bravery or meritorious service.

Dakhla Medal - For merit in the restoration of the Western Sahara.

Order of the War Star - Very elusive, likely a kind of CdG equivalent.

Not miuch known on Moroccan awards, but this is my best guess. Someone do better, please.

Hi Ed.

Whanks for the info,

indeed you are right, sewn to a backing with hooks, french style.

The war star has one ribbon with a silver star, and one with 2 bronze stars.

best

Chris

Very interesting.

Chris, a nice ribbon bar !!!!

Ed, what an identication!!!

Is there a reason why the stars are not all on ONE ribbon only, as this is the same medal ? Are there regulations about this ? Or is it linked to the Vet's wish (looking more impressive...) ?

Cheers.

Ch.

As I understand the War Star (a very imperfect understanding) you wear a ribbon for your gilt stars, a ribbon for your silver stars, and a ribbon for your bronze stars. Presumably you'd wear a possible three medals as well? Photos of Moroccan officers, mounted Moroccan groups, and Moroccan ribbon bars are scarce. In fact, this is the only one in those three categories that I have ever seen!

Always more to learn! I love it.

Guest Rick Research

Although these ribbons LOOK 100 years old, am I correct in assuming these are perhaps no more than 30 years old?

"Western Sahara" is still... ongoing... is it not? (I am having flashbacks to the 1970s here!)