News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Taking up on Nick's point, here are another two examples from Berkshire, this time lapel badges, with a lot of detailed work.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Re post 188 Berkshire lapel badges are there 5 variations of this as I have 2 a brass and blue enamel made by Botly & Lewis and chrome one with no makers name, plus I am looking for a red enamel crown version of the blue enamel one. I am taking it that the two you have are bronze and chrome with blue enamel also is the red backing original?

I think you have posted a few more badges that I have not seen before and will have to to add to my wants list.

I have 304 lapel badges and have pictures of 252 that I want so if there is as I have been told over 700 I still have a lot more to source pictures of.

Alan

Hi Kevin

Re post 188 Berkshire lapel badges are there 5 variations of this as I have 2 a brass and blue enamel made by Botly & Lewis and chrome one with no makers name, plus I am looking for a red enamel crown version of the blue enamel one. I am taking it that the two you have are bronze and chrome with blue enamel also is the red backing original?

I think you have posted a few more badges that I have not seen before and will have to to add to my wants list.

I have 304 lapel badges and have pictures of 252 that I want so if there is as I have been told over 700 I still have a lot more to source pictures of.

Alan

Hello Alan,

I don't think that I will ever get a full set. Even if one had the money available it would mean a lot of effort to winkle them out. I am also not fully convinced that anybody has a true picture of the exact numbers produced; more's the pity. The red backed Berks badge is, unfortunately not in my collection. I have atached an image that I picked up of the method used to secure the red backing which looks original. Do you know the significance of the red cloth? For my part I will continue to post any images of rarer badges that I come across. As for buying, there appears to a very large core of common badges which keep doing the rounds with the rarer examples only popping up now and again. I keep a regular record of Ebay transactions involving SC items and the bidding patterns for some are fairly constant but at times appear to approach lunatic proportions.

And, as you know, when the rarer badges do surface there is a 'feeding frenzy'. Still, bargains are still there to be found from time to time.

I have also added an image of the Berks Collar which was put up on Ebay recently. The seller advised that it had been cut straight from the tunic and left intact. It shows a red backed collar badge in situ with collar numbers and the generic KC SC badge. Does this look right to you?

Kind regards,

Kevin

Nice badges, but

Post 584 - what's the crowned SC on crossed rifles badge? The rifles follow the pattern for Britsh army snipers rather than the far more common Britsh army marksman badge, s this a fantasy piece using a restrike / fake snipers badge?

Post 590 - An unlikely use of what appears to be a buttonhole badge for wear in civilian clothes, rather than a collar badge for wear on uniform?

I fully agree with Leigh on the rifles - the two items were never together. Rifles would never be used for Police - only in the event of a SC unit being formed within a military unit - and then the badges would match.

Very fine and comprehensive post, Kevin. I hope we will see the other SC collectors now add to any missing ones.

I fully agree with Leigh on the rifles - the two items were never together. Rifles would never be used for Police - only in the event of a SC unit being formed within a military unit - and then the badges would match.

Very fine and comprehensive post, Kevin. I hope we will see the other SC collectors now add to any missing ones.

Mervyn, I wouldn't totally discount the possibility of SCs having crossed rifles insignia. There are a number of SC badges on this thread that have been issued (Rowley Regis for example) by boroughs that never had a regular force of their own.

The British police's squeamishness about firearms is very much a post WW2 thing. There were no restrictions on firearms ownership in Britain until the middle 1920s, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that during WW1 SCs decided to arm themselves "just in case".

Nick,

Picking up on your last post. I have copied below (file too big to upload) the instructions to Special Constables from West Riding Constabulary (dated 15 June 1915). On reading your post a note registered as this documents specifically warns specials about carry any weapon other than the issue staff. It is an interesting document in it's own right and is more interesting in the light of your comments.

WEST RIDING CONSTABULARY.

SPECIAL CONSTABLES.

INSTRUCTIONS.

1. Each man when called up for duty will receive a truncheon, an armlet, and a warrant card, the latter to be produced if required as the authority for his office.

2. The truncheon is the only weapon authorised, and no other weapon must be carried unless specifically authorised.

3. Special Constables have all the powers and privileges of ordinary Police Constables, and are entitled to the same legal protection.

4. It is impossible to specify within these limits, the numerous duties and responsibilities that devolve opon a Police Constable. It is necessary, however, to state that the particular duties required from a Special Constable are the preservation of the peace, the protection of life and property, and the prevention of crime.

5. Any person who sees a breach of the peace committed may arrest the offenders and hand them over to a Constable, Ordinary or Special, and the Constable may detain them so long as there is reason to fear any continuance of the disorder. Equally, a Constable, Ordinary or Special, witnessing a breach of the peace may arrest the offenders; and again, provided that such a condition of disorder has arisen, as to shew that a breach of the peace is threatened and imminent, a Constable may, in that case, for the purposes of preventing such a breach of the peace, arrest the persons threatening the same, and detain them until the chance of the threat being executed is past, and take then before a Magistrate in due course.

6. The most serious crimes for which a Constable has power to arrest without a warrant, are described as felonies, and the following are the felonies that are most likely to come under the cognizance of Special Constables, viz., Murder, Manslaughter, Housebreaking, Robbery, Stealing,

Assault with intent to rob, Arson (that is the setting fire to premises or property), Demanding by force with intent to steal, and Felonious Assault,

i.e. Assault with intent to main, wound, or do some grevious bodily harm.

7. If called upon to act, he must do so with energy, promptness and determination. He should, however, remember that the most unpleasant duties may be perfomed with with perfect courtesy, and yet with determination. He should never use his truncheon except when absolutely necessary for his own protection, or for the purpose of preventing extreme violence in case of riot or grave disorder. He should always avoid striking women and children or inoffensive persons.

8. He will be expected to give cheerful obediance to any instruction that may be given to him, and it is essential that his duties should be carried out with coolness and good temper. The public should not be aggrieved or alienated by a harsh and irritating manner. In times of trouble and disorder, hasty and inconsiderate actions may easily bring about a more serious state of things.

9. He must not quit the post to which he has been allocated without permission, and it is very necessary that he should abstain from giving information, and avoid circulating reports to anyone except members of the Police Force.

10. He should provide himself with some paper or a little note book, and a pencil, in order to write down names and addresses, and should make a note of the time of any arrest, or other special circumstances, on which he may be called upon for a report.

11. In case of injury, or death resulting from injuries received in the execution of Police duty, the Police Authority may grant pensions and allowances as in the case of the ordinary Police.

12. A member may, with the consent of the Chief Constable, resign his office, and the Chief Constable may at his pleasure determine the services of, or suspend, or dismiss, any member.

13. It should be noted the law provides, that any person after being sworn in as a Special Constable, who shall neglect or refuse to serve, or to obey such lawful orders and directions as may be given to him, shall on conviction, be fined a sum not exceeding £5 for every such neglect or refusal, as the Court shall deem meet, unless he proves that he was prevented bu sickness, or such other unavoidable accident, as shall be considered by the Court to be a sufficient excuse.

A.C.QUEST,

ACTING CHIEF CONSTABLE.

County Chief Constable's Office,

Wakefield,

June 9th, 1915.

Another thought came to my mind. The badge below was advertised on Ebay some time ago and has continued to intrugue me. It hails from the Ulster Special Constabulary and was advertised as being made from copper. The screw thread is interesting. The Ulster Special Constabulary was, of course, heavily armed but as far as I am aware never wore the generic 'SC' lapel badge seen on the mainland.

I have, however, seen a number of shooting medals from the USC containing the crossed rifles.

One must also remember that special constabularies on the mainland also had fairly regular shooting competitions, especially in the 30s. I wonder if it is possible that a generic SC collar badge has been modified by the addition of the rifles for the purpose of being awarded for competition shooting. Just a thought.

Edited by SCcollector

Off thread, I know, but still pertinent to the difference between the Dixon of Dock Green image of policing in Britain and the reality before the modern era.

Look at the newsreel coverage of the General Strike and the authorities were not shy about putting on shows of strength. In the modern era it would be unthinkable to have armoured cars rumbling through the streets of Britain as a precaution against industrial unrest.

And, in 1958, Nottingham City Police deployed firehoses to break up the "race riots" in the St Ann's area of the city. The force subsequently acquired a secret stock of colonial-style wicker riot shields and long staffs though these were never used. The Home Office would have had kittens at the very idea.

Edited by NickLangley

The gun shown is a percussion cap - however, I don't recall a British weapon with a shaped stock. I think this is probably US and mis-quoted for ebay. With regard to firearms - unless shown proof I would not believe .303 rifles would ever be issued to untrained Specials. For emergency use - yes. Extra stocks were kept at main stations for Regulars in an emergency - i.e. a landing.