News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The gun shown is a percussion cap - however, I don't recall a British weapon with a shaped stock. I think this is probably US and mis-quoted for ebay. With regard to firearms - unless shown proof I would not believe .303 rifles would ever be issued to untrained Specials. For emergency use - yes. Extra stocks were kept at main stations for Regulars in an emergency - i.e. a landing.

Mervyn, private individuals could own pistols, rifles even machine guns without restriction in Britain until the mid 1920s. So an SC could have carried his own weapon rather than an officially issued one.

Nick - as late as the 1930's a constable on a lonely or, dangerous 'Beat' could request a firearm be issued. I am not trying to be dogmatic, but the simple truth is that the Specials were closely supervised in those days - and could not just decide to issue their own weapons. There will be exceptions to everything and no doubt a photo will be found of a Special holding a rifle - but, it won't mean he was issued one. As for Ireland and Ulster - I never even considered writing about them in the book - just too far removed from the mainland style of policing. Did you see the interesting posts and discussions on this sub-forum some time ago - covered RIC and RUC ?

Kevin - the origins of the Edinburgh Specials go back to the Edinburgh High Constables - a guild or, Association of leading citizens who banded together to protect their City and Property. They go back to the 18th C. - also Perth, Holyrood Palace and the Port to Edinburgh.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

I threatened some time ago to put up some early SC humorous postcards. Some are too big too upload but here are some that I managed to post. I have a fairly large collection and find them to be very interesting in relation to the range of duties undertaken in WW1 and the obvious merriment that they provided during a very dark period.

Nick - as late as the 1930's a constable on a lonely or, dangerous 'Beat' could request a firearm be issued. I am not trying to be dogmatic, but the simple truth is that the Specials were closely supervised in those days - and could not just decide to issue their own weapons. There will be exceptions to everything and no doubt a photo will be found of a Special holding a rifle - but, it won't mean he was issued one. As for Ireland and Ulster - I never even considered writing about them in the book - just too far removed from the mainland style of policing. Did you see the interesting posts and discussions on this sub-forum some time ago - covered RIC and RUC ?

Kevin - the origins of the Edinburgh Specials go back to the Edinburgh High Constables - a guild or, Association of leading citizens who banded together to protect their City and Property. They go back to the 18th C. - also Perth, Holyrood Palace and the Port to Edinburgh.

Mervyn, I agree 100% that SCs would never be issued with fireams. My view is that it isn't impossible to imagine SCs deciding to carry their own (legally held) weapons without sanction from higher-up the chain of command.

Imagine my shock when I once saw a police poster from WW2 bearing the stark warning "LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT". Unthinkable today.

Kevin - this is an interesting collection and particularly important in that they show the acceptance of the Special Constables as part of the ' fabric of society ' . I have a number showing police in humerous situations - going back to 1830 - but for the Specials, they have to be quite rare. I suppose acceptance came quickly as it might well be your own elderly relatives who turned out....

Nick - if you remember the early episode of 'Dad's Army' - Capt. Mainwaring and the old colonel - arguing over who should carry the Col's shotgun. So quite possible an individual might carry extra arms - all collectors know, that the more you lay down rules, the more often you will be proved wrong !

Hello Everyone,

Here is a Long Service Medal 1916 from Birmingham with a ribbon and also named. I purchased this medal because it was named not knowing it was Birmingham; thinking Metropolitan Police at the time. Imagine my surprise when it arrived! :jumping:

I would like to hear comments regarding the ribbon. The pin that attaches the ribbon to the uniform is well made and would appear that it was designed for such a purpose.

Was it common for Birmingham to issue named Special Constabulary Long Service Medals?

Regards

Brian