News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a view of the reverse. You can see the pin at the top looks to be very well made and perhaps meant for the purpose of medal ribbon attachment to a uniform. I'm probably dreaming regarding the ribobn and the pin. The ribbon has been sewn to the medal's hanger so there has been some attempt to do this correctly and not just thrown up for the eBay crowd.

Brian

Hello Everyone,

I received this photo a couple of weeks ago but the weather was not sunny (nor warm) enough to photograph it ouside. My set up inside is brutal when it comes to glare on photos.

This is a photo of the Metropolitian Special Constabulary. Sub."UY" Div. thaken in 1914.

Below the photo is has written, WICKSTEED & PALMER on the left side and 109 CHEAPSIDE, E.C. on the right side.

The commanding officers are named but telling exactly who is who is difficult.

In case it is not clear enough here are the names:

S.A.E. Towersey (Sub.-Divisional Inspector).

F.J. Tatham (Sub-Inspector)

H. Cresswell (Sub-Inspector

Sergeants Dedman, Ward, Ross, Hagell, Crisp, Johnson.

Too bad the two Boy Scouts are not named. Would these two little fellows be employed by the force to run errands or messages of some sort?

Regards

Brian

Here is a closer view of the whole group.

These would have been the first to have recieved the Special Constabulary Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, I would think. As well as the Nation Medal they would have, or could have, recieved the Metropolitian Special Constabulary 1914 Medal. Please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

I hope you like the photo.

Regards

Brian

You may have to use the Ctrl + keys for a closer look as the photo didn't come out any larger when it was posted. Just use the Ctrl - keys to get back to the normal size.

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Two very interesting threads, Brian. I would say that the Birmingam Long Service is perfectly correct - and it answers a question I have often thought about. This is the first I have seen with a ribbon - usually they are just the little badge with the oak leaf - I suppose it was left to Chief Constables and their Watch Committees as to if they added a pin and bar. With all of these earlier items it was always a matter of cost. Early decorated truncheons cost 1/6d to add the Force name.....

The photograph is also an historic item - as you say ,right at the start of WW1 and the Special War Constabulary. I'm actually surprised that they took the trouble to have a group photograph - probably organised by the Specials themselves.

Two very interesting threads, Brian. I would say that the Birmingam Long Service is perfectly correct - and it answers a question I have often thought about. This is the first I have seen with a ribbon - usually they are just the little badge with the oak leaf - I suppose it was left to Chief Constables and their Watch Committees as to if they added a pin and bar. With all of these earlier items it was always a matter of cost. Early decorated truncheons cost 1/6d to add the Force name.....

The photograph is also an historic item - as you say ,right at the start of WW1 and the Special War Constabulary. I'm actually surprised that they took the trouble to have a group photograph - probably organised by the Specials themselves.

Hi Mervyn,

I was aprehensive about the ribbon as well. I checked with Kevin and he verified it was authentic and even sent me a photo of one in his own collection.

I was really interested that the medal was named, but that the ribbon was 100% in keeping with the medal was the icing on the cake so-to-speak.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Specials were indeed the ones who organized the photo session. I agree that this is a true historic photo plus that it is "officially" titled and dated removes all doubt as to its age. Always better then a hand-written note on the back of the photo.

Regards

Brian

I've just noticed Brian, that behind the oakleaf is the original fixing pin. When they added the ribbon it meant there were two pins. So, not specially made for Birmingham - just adapted.

Hi Mervyn.

True. Kevin's version also has the same ribbon, and looks much neater in its attachment. Since there is more than one medal with this same ribbon do you think it may have been officially unofficial? If you know what I am getting at.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

As you may know by now I like the Special Constabulary Medal even more than usual when it comes in a group.

Here is a nice little grouping. The photos tell the tale so I won't go on and on.

I hope you enjoy this grouping.

Regards

Brian

So often when we see British WWII medals we have no idea who the reciepient was and with the Special Constabulary we know who received the medal but little if anything else.

Here is a case where everything was perfect.

The boxes are as important to the group as the medals.

I was very lucky to have gotten this grouping as with the medals and the boxes came the notice from the Under-Secretary of State, which is not all that uncommon though nice to have. Also a Ration Book to the soldier's wife and his Service and Pay Book.The Service Book shows he was a Surveyor in the Royal Artillery.

I could not have asked for more.

Regards

Brian

Harold J Pearce married Vida M Weymouth at Plympton, Devonshire in 1937.

Vida was born in Plymouth in 1914.

Harold was born in Liskeard in 1913.

And they had a daughter, Angela, in 1946.

Edited by NickLangley

Nice group Brian - and so complete with the paperwork. Nick's extra info. helps too. AH ! The ration book - I used to have the child's book - entitled to something they called 'orange juice' AND cod's liver oil - only the Powers above know how I survived the War.........

Harold J Pearce married Vida M Weymouth at Plympton, Devonshire in 1937.

Vida was born in Plymouth in 1914.

Harold was born in Liskeard in 1913.

And they had a daughter, Angela, in 1946.

Many thanks for the additional information Nick.

I was already very happy with the material I had but to get this additional information is fantastic.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow Special Constabulary collectors,

I thought I'd better give this section some resuscitation before it suffers a fatal case of atrophy. This arm band just arrived today. It is made of canvas (cotton) and measures 42cm (16 1/2 inches) in lenght and 5 1/2cm (2 1/4 inches) in width. The buckle is made of brass and grips the cloth band by means of 4 very sharp teeth.

The seller said it comes from London but that could be just the origin of the band and not the Police Service in which it was employed.

The colour of the band is accurately represented in the first photo. The second and third photos are not the correct shade, something to do with my photography I am sure.

I hope you like my newest addition.

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I think that I threatened sometime ago to expose members to another area of interest of mine. I have been following all Special Constabulary (and related) items on Ebay for a few years and have kept a record of the outcomes of auctions. I probably have missed a few items but am confident that I have caught the vast majority. For those that are interested, I will post in alphabetical order the results obtained so far. Several things come to mind; the extremes seen in relation to some items which on occasions seems hard to believe; the scarcity of some items illustrated by low numbers coming to auction; the comparitively high prices paid for some scarce items which are in very poor condition. I have excluded general issue SC medals due to the large numbers seen on Ebay.

To start I list below Aberdeen.

Lapel Badge 'ASC' Sold for £15.10. on 18 October 2008.

Lapel Badge Coat of Arms. Sold for £30.10. on 26 October 2008.