News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Birmingham

Hello,

Three excellent badges. The West Yorkshiire and Southport are new to me. I was told many years ago not to go to bed without learning something new. Many thanks! I am convinced that the depth and range of SC badges and associated memorabilia will never be reached. Things just keep turning up.

Edited by SCcollector

Ebay auctions...

Blackpool SC.

Blackpool items always command a very good price ( although with some wild variations at times). Anybody know why?

Cap Badge. KC

Sold for £11.06. on 18 January 2009.

Sold for £30. on 20 October 2009.

Sold for £24. on 1 November 2009.

Sold for £18.51. on 2 February 2010.

Lapel Badge. 1914. KC.

Sold for £24.20. on 28 April 2009.

Sold for £38.85. on 14 June 2009.

Sold for £27.89. on 5 November 2009.

Sold for £36.78. on 9 March 2010.

Lapel Badge. Red Enamel.

Sold for £67. on 18 May 2009.

Lapel Badge. Blue Enamel.

Sold for £44.55. on 28 March 2010.

Ebay auctions...

Bolton SC.

Lapel Badge. KC.

Sold for £29.55. on 11 January 2009.

Cap Badge. KC.

Did Not Sell (starting price £5.99) on 20 January 2009.

Sold for £7.29. on 7 April 2009. (included NFS Cap Badge)

Did Not Sell (starting price £9) on 16 June 2009.

Did Not Sell (starting price £10) on 27 January 2010

Nice Group. Cap Badge and LS Medal to Ernest Sefton

Sold for £18.50. on 1 March 2010

Ebay auctions...

Bradford City.

PWR. Lapel Badge. KC.

Sold for £16. on 14 November 2008.

Sold for £10. on 2 February 2009.

Lapel Badge. Brass & Enamel.

Sold for £41. on 12 October 2008.

SC Lapel Badge. Chrome & Enamel. KC. (lesson in persisting and winning through in the end!).

Did Not Sell (starting price £15) on 7 September 2009.

Did Not Sell (starting price £15) on 20 September 2009.

Did Not Sell (starting price £4.99) on 28 October 2009. (no rear fixing)

Did Not Sell (starting price £4.99) on 22 November 2009. ( " " )

Did Not Sell (starting price £15) on 12 December 2009.

Did Not Sell (starting price £15) on 24 January 2010.

Sold for £15. on 26 February 2010.

Edited by SCcollector

Ebay auctions...

Brighton.

SC Lapel Badge. Chrome & Enamel. KC.

Sold for £17.50. on 19 November 2008.

Sold for £16.75. on 25 January 2009.

Sold for £15. on 12 December 2009.

Lapel Badge. Brass & Enamel.

Sold for £12. on 16 February 2009.

Sold for £19.05. on 9 March 2009.

Photograph. Brighton SC 'B' Division. WW11.

Sold for £8.50. on 28 April 2009.

Ebay auctions...

Bristol.

War Reserve. HP. KC.

Sold for £26.08. on 22 September 2008.

SC Lapel Badge. Voided.

Sold for £26.57 on 25 October 2009.

SC Lapel Badge. Solid.

Sold for £21.99. 30 September 2008.

Sold for £33. on 1 February 2009.

Sold for £31. on 22 February 2009.

Sold for £9.50. on 30 March 2009. (damaged enamel)

SC 'BSC' Lapel Badge. KC.

Sold for £15.50. on 30 August 2009.

• 1 month later...

I picked this up on ebay recently, a picture of Charles Bendel ?

the photo is marked Dinham and son under royal patronage Torquay.

this is written on the back of the pic.

these medals came with the photo the first and the last are named to Charles A Bendel

the one in the center is named to Charles Bendal

I presume these are a father and son group . but unusual to be mounted together .,

I would love to know what regiment the son was in and which police force

I thaught this would interest you Brian

Edited by rod g

Hello Rod,

This is indeed an interesting group. I do like the Special Constabulary LSGC Medal within a group or even as part of a pair. I've never seen a father/son group mounted together before.

It is very difficult to say what which police force they served in, is the regiment's name not impressed on the edge of the BWM?

Regards

Brian

Hello Rod,

This is indeed an interesting group. I do like the Special Constabulary LSGC Medal within a group or even as part of a pair. I've never seen a father/son group mounted together before.

It is very difficult to say what which police force they served in, is the regiment's name not impressed on the edge of the BWM?

Regards

Brian

DUH .. I am a dummy it is imprest RE I supose the royal engineers

thanks Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I post these - all of which must have been shown on previous threads - only to keep Specials high-up on the listing. I think the information is too valuable to be overlooked. I think the one with ships is Cambridge and the Manchester would be good - had it not been chipped.

I post these - all of which must have been shown on previous threads - only to keep Specials high-up on the listing. I think the information is too valuable to be overlooked. I think the one with ships is Cambridge and the Manchester would be good - had it not been chipped.

Quite right Mervyn the ship one is WWII Cambridge City specials lapel badge.

Regards Alan

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The attached is a print that I recently picked up taken from a periodical (unknown). The scene depicts the issuing of truncheons and arm bands to special constables in London (Hornsey) during the General Strike of 1926.

Edited by SCcollector

Hello - Kevin. This is a very interesting photograph - all previous photos of the 1926 Strike show the new Special Constables carrying standard truncheons - obviously out of stores. My Father was such a SC and I still have the lovely teak truncheon that he was given - these have been quickly turned on a lathe. Perhaps towards the end of the strike when they were short of supplies ? Do the arm bands look like originals ?

On the Inspector's left sleeve - it looks like a star - is it the St. John's qualification badge ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hello Mervyn,

The star on the officers sleeve is, I think, the Metropolitan Police Special Constabulary Long Service Star issued in the Great War. A photograph is attached. What do you think? It looks about the right size.

The truncheons certainly seem to be crudely turned and may well have been a rush job. Perhaps it was the same with arm bands which all look new. I obtained another photograph at the same time which is apparently of a group of Oxford Students sworn in as SCs in 1926 who also have very crude truncheons and , interestingly, WW1 pattern steel helmets. They also have arm bands which are worn just above the wrist on the left hand sleeve. Most photographs of Specials appear to depict the arm band being worn high on the sleeve. It is also interesting as they appear to be a group of complete idiots. The file is too big to download here but I wiil have another go. If all else fails I will email you a copy as it is very interesting.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Edited by SCcollector

Hi again,

Success! Here is the photograph of the Oxford Students (periodical unknown) I don't really know what to say actually. I can only presume that they caused absolute havoc unless they were kept on a very short lead. I have seen no other examples of steel helmets being issued to SCs during the General Strike. The setting appears to be industrial and the little character sat on the extreme right is odd. Altogether a little gem of a picture. I picked both pictures up via Ebay from a gentleman in Portugal (not ex pat).

Hi,

This is another interesting picture depicting the Barclay, Perkins & Co. Brewery Special Constabulary members from the General Strike. The Anchor Brewery was formed in 1616 and was taken over by Barclay, Perkins & Co. in 1781. It was the largest brewery in the world and was reported to be brewing some 330,000 barrels per year in 1815. A fire in 1832 destroyed many buildings which were rebuilt. The company merged with Courage in 1955 to become Courage, Barclay & Co. The brewery was finally demolished in 1981. I have been unable to find out very much about the SCs from the brewery and how they fitted into the general picture during the 1926 strike. A few of the ranks appear to be old soldiers. Another very interesting photograph.

Edited by SCcollector

Kevin - this is an interesting subject that we have never gone deeply into. That large factories - such as the brewery - should create their own force of SC's makes sense. The strike was trying to close everything down - there was a strong Bolshevik influence and I think the intention was to have the Govt. collapse and a communist style one be put in place.

Idiots like those spoilt Oxford under-grads - look as if they think it is a game - however, it could well have seen a major change in their way of life, if common sense members of the public hadn't rallied round. As a point of interest - who is the street urchin on the right - someones 'batman'?

Going back to the 'baton' picture - you are right it is the star. This must mean that the three uniforms - incl. the Ch.Insp. are all Specials ?

Here is another interesting document from the same era. A thank you letter 'Major Castle' of Ipswich from the Suffolk Emergency Police Reserves for his services during the General Strike. Suffolk had the tradition of calling their special constabulary the 'police reserve'. One wonders what role the good major played in the crisis.

Kevin

img152.pdf