News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

My name is Mel, i joined because i recently came by a George V special constabulary medal in the name of Alan Mitton.  Wanting to know more I googled the details and it led me straight here.  I was curious to see if Mervyn may be a relative?

• 2 months later...

I've just been through all thirty three pages of this amazing thread, and I don't see an example of the badge I've attached. Does anyone know anything about it? Date? I'm assuming that it's from the Metropolitan SC, but I've never seen one like it. The current owner wants a value, but I don't know what to tell him.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mike McLellan

Mike,

I do have an example of this badge together with several differing variations. The general view is that this badge was not an issue item but was manufactured and purchased privately. Many of the leaders in the Metropolitan Special Constabulary were at one time very wealthy well connected people. They often paid for and had made their own "mufti" badges which were of better quality than those issued. This I believe is one such item. It dates from the first war but could probably have continued to be used for many years after. In some cases I think they were handed down one to another. As to value. it is probably what someone is willing to pay. I hope this is helpful. As an aside I attach a photo of the Metpol. SC. items I have.

Dave.   

Metpol SC.JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Thanks David. I hadn't thought of that, but I'm reasonably sure that the same (private purchase) practice was true with truncheons and tipstaves at times. 

Thanks also for the photo. Your collection is a real treat to see. I've only glimpsed a small part of it, but am genuinely amazed.   Thanks again. Mike. 

Hi Mike,

Yes, I think you are correct regarding truncheons. Many of the pieces were subscribed to by an individuals colleagues and were privately purchased for presentation. Or, the very wealthy Divisional Commandant (often a local businessman) footed the bill and gave all members a presentation piece to mark a particular occasion/event etc.

As an aside, I'm fairly certain that some of the "custom" divisional titles to shown in the photo were a private purchase. I say that because only certain divisions appear to have worn them, the majority wearing a simple metal letter indicating their attachment.

Best wishes, Dave. 

The general view is that this badge was not an issue item but was manufactured and purchased privately.

Which reminds me of Sir Hugh Orde, erstwhile President of the Association of Chief Police Officers, who generated some derision by being photographed wearing an ACPO cap badge of his very own design.

Unfortunately, for future collectors, his badge lacked the "quality" of its Great War counterparts, looking more like a gift from a Christmas Cracker.  Truly a plastic policeman.

• 2 weeks later...

Please can anyone help with the identification of this man's uniform. So far, I think he may be a Special Constable wearing an 'on duty' brassard. However, if he is a Special, I am struggling with the cap badge - having looked at the examples on this topic (of which there are many!) the nearest I can get is Guernsey (or Salvation Army!!). Unfortunately, although I have tried to enhance the picture, I can get no further detail.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas about date, etc?

KaScan 5 copy.jpg

I have my doubts about him being a Special Constable. The jacket does not look like a police pattern. The lower patch pockets are not of a design which I would normally associate with the police. The medal ribbon is not the Special Constabulary LS ribbon which has quite distinctive white stripes on it. I also note that there is no whistle chain evident. The "shield" cap badge looks like a collar/epaulette badge for the York City Police. It is not worded and is simply the shield centre of the York coat of arms. I believe that the armlet may be a bit of a "red herring".

He could be a municipal park keeper or attendant. The other possibility is that he has simply dressed himself up for the photo. Its difficult to put a date on the photo but I would guess 1950's. Going back to the armlet. It looks out of place and is of a pattern which was worn many years previously. The buttons on his breast pockets are positioned far too high up on the jacket. Overall his whole outfit looks "odd". Sorry not to have been more helpful.

Dave.

Thank you Dave. I am doing this 'investigation' for a friend and we know nothing about this chap. However "York' is a great connection as the family that she is researching is a Yorkshire one. We will 'delve' a bit more..... 

• 1 month later...

... May I say what a fantastic thread and thank you for all who have contributed so far, I have learnt MUCH!

A question arises... I have a WW2 PSC badge which is undoubtedly for Peterborough Special Constabulary. I have just bought off of ebay for a reasonable price of £10.99 an identical looking badge HSC. Am I to reliably believe that this is for Huntingdon or Huntingdonshire being the town is so close to Peterborough?

HSC.JPG

Pboro SC .jpg

Edited by Swainys Boy
    Picture Size Adjustment

35 minutes ago, Swainys Boy said:

... May I say what a fantastic thread and thank you for all who have contributed so far, I have learnt MUCH!

A question arises... I have a WW2 PSC badge which is undoubtedly for Peterborough Special Constabulary. I have just bought off of ebay for a reasonable price of £10.99 an identical looking badge HSC. Am I to reliably believe that this is for Huntingdon or Huntingdonshire being the town is so close to Peterborough?

Hi Lawrence,

The "PSC" is indeed from Peterborough as you correctly say. Disappointingly, the "HSC" badge is from Hampshire. Huntingdonshire has a similar badge but with the Coat of Arms in the centre and "Huntingdonshire Special Constabulary" around the outside.

Dave.

HSC.JPG

Pboro SC .jpg

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

15 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Hi Lawrence,

The "PSC" is indeed from Peterborough as you correctly say. Disappointingly, the "HSC" badge is from Hampshire. Huntingdonshire has a similar badge but with the Coat of Arms in the centre and "Huntingdonshire Special Constabulary" around the outside.

Dave.

Grrrr! back on ebay 'HSC' goes, unless anyone wants it for the price I paid?

I do have a Huntingdonshire SC but was hoping there would be a Huntingdon town version, does one exist?

Huntingdonshire SC .jpg

1 hour ago, Swainys Boy said:

Grrrr! back on ebay 'HSC' goes, unless anyone wants it for the price I paid?

I do have a Huntingdonshire SC but was hoping there would be a Huntingdon town version, does one exist?

Huntingdonshire SC .jpg

Lawrence,

No, I'm not aware of an SC badge for Huntingdon town itself. I already have the HSC badge otherwise I would take it off you.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

A new book has just been published entitled "Special Constabulary Insignia of England & Wales". Softback. A4 size. 138 pages depicting over 750 colour photos of Special Constabulary badges from the Great War to the present day. Plus 38 black and white period photos featuring members of the Special Constabulary. The book has been privately published and is of a limited print run. For anyone interested the price is £25 per copy. This is inclusive of UK postage. Airmail postage outwith the UK will be extra. Payment via PAYPAL (family & friends). PM me if you would like a copy.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

specia10.jpgspecia11.jpg

Hello everybody,

It is the first time that I am contacting you since my registration.

I have in my possession this insigna that I would like to identify.

This insigna is similar to the one presented by Brian Wolfe,with the number 69 inscribed on.

Could you tell me what this number refers to ?

Thank you in advance

Regards

Fred

The arm badge is "generic", in other words it was worn by a great number of forces during the Great War. It would have been a manufacturers "stock" item probably manufactured by Hiatt & Co. of Birmingham. The number shown would have been that allocated to the wearer and would have enabled identification in the event of someone wishing to make a complaint etc.

Dave.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar one in my collection, it’s a Royal Parks Constabulary version and it was fondly known as the “Bottle top” it was worn on the flat cap, which was all they were issued at the time. 

They were eventually issued a six panneled custodian helmet with a ball and spike top.

I’ll see if I can dig it out and post a photo of the bottle top. 

Edited by ShortPlod
    Additional info