News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Craig - I'm sorry to say I thought him a 'miserable old sod'. In his role of Dixon of Dock Green , we asked him

to officially open the Police exhibition we put-on to cover East End History. When I spoke to him on the phone, the

first thing he asked me was - "How much do I get paid ?'.

He would have had wonderful publicity - the Comm. ; Dep. Comm.; and all 4 Asst. Comms. were at the opening lunch.

We asked the Bishop of Stepney to take his place.

• 2 months later...

Andrey - welcome to GMIC - we don't get many members from Moscow on British Police..........

Your picture of the badge will not open - perhaps you could have another try ? Tell us a little

about yourself - what work do you do - what are your main collecting interests ? We do have a

number of Russian members - and a large Forum for them . Mervyn

P.s. And my interest to the badges of the Britannic police is related only to my interest to the famous literary hero on the name of Sherlock Holmes and to all, that could surround him. All the best, Andrey

This could well be for a Special Constable. The large letter 'A' would probably be for the town

and 'SC' for Special Constable. The colours will probably be the clue - however, I don't recognise them.

However, I am sure one of the Specials collectors will. Mervyn

Not too many forces beginning with an "A". Off the top of my head: Accrington, Anglesey, Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire, Ayrshire, Angus and Argyllshire. Of course it could be one of those WWI badges where a town issued its own SC badge without having a force. And then SC might be short for Sports Club!

Sticking my neck on the block, I would say this is a school or sports club badge not a specials. I have not seen a specials lapel with a shield shape and I have seen approximately 600 and I have been told there are about 700 in total. So only another 100 to find.

Yes, I can consent that it can be sporting club. Although registration number... In any case, I think, there is even small possibility that this sign can behave to the theme of "SPECIAL CONSTABLE", and that is why I here and told about it.

And that information was more complete - I give the photo of revers yet.

ASC1.jpgASC2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Gents

I have been offline for a few months, between computer. I would like to attached my medal lot as I recently gained my Long service as a SC and Queens Diamond Jubilee medal all within a few days as the long service was held up at A&S HQ for around a year but all has arrived and has been remounted with my Army Medals.

I aml proude of my collection but at the same time I feel quite ashamed that other Officers/Armed Forces/Prison Officers and all could not wait to get their medals on the auction site for a few pound after many had been left off the award due to not enough service time. In fact serving Armed Forces it is an offence to sell whilst they are still in and a few have quoted that due to cut backs/Pay freeze etc the medal holds not worth. As the medal is a gift from HM, I find some of the comments quite offensive who have sold the family silver and will in time will regret what they have done.

Congratulations Stephen - a very fine group that you can be very proud of.

Under the Lounge section is a long post of people showing their medals. I think it is called 'Post your own'.

Have a look and add yours - keeps it fresh for the Forum. Mervyn

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for posting your medals here in the "Specials" section, they are a great group of medals and one can see that you are rightfully poud of them and your service.

I agree with you on your comment regarding those who sell their medals some day regretting it. Even if they themselves never live to regret their decision you can bet family members, be it children or grand children, will lament the decision.

Please do follow Mervyn's suggection and post your group under the "Post your own" section as many members will never see them under the "Special Constabulary".

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

Special Constabulary Pair

You are probably getting sick of reading that I like groups and pairs of medals that show service in more than one area or that span two or more monarchs but here I go saying it again anyway. This pair of medals fills the bill exactly and on more than one level. First the pair is to a member of the Territorial Forces as well as a Special Constable next the pair spans two monarchs, Edward VII and George V and finally when I checked my British Military collection I was lacking a Long Service Territorial Medal for Edward VII. So you can imagine how quickly I pounced on this pair.

For the few who do not know what the Territorial Army was, in a nut shell, this is the army that served within the British Isles as opposed to the army serving overseas.

The Territorial Long Service medal is named to

SJT. T.S.MACKEY

1st V.B.HAMPSHIRE REGT.

Please note the tag is incorrect as it leaves out the “T’” initial in his name, I will make the correction before putting it in the medals cabinet drawer. The “SJT.” is exactly what is on the medal’s rim.

The Special Constabulary Medal is named to

THOMAS MACKEY

The Territorial Long Service Medal is for 20 years of service in the ranks while the Special Constabulary Medal is for 9 years unpaid service with more than 50 duties per year.

If we are looking for the approximant years of service for this gentleman then he would have had to have been in the army 20 year before 1910 (the year Edward VII passed away) which would bring the date to 1890 and since there is no War Service clasp to the Special Constabulary medal he must have been with that force before WWI and perhaps he joined the Specials straight out of military service so that would place his total service from 1890 to 1919. However 1919 would have placed him in service during the Great War. So even adjusting his retirement from the Specials to 1913 (one year before War broke out) it would move his Special Constabulary years to between 1904 to 1913 and then his Territorial Service to 1884.

All of this math is hurting my poor old brain!

If my calculations are correct they we are looking for a total span of service to his country and community from 1884 to 1913. Again these could very well be inaccurate but I think it is a fair estimate.

Thanks for taking a look at one of my latest additions to the collection, I hope you enjoyed it.

Regards

Brian

I wouldn't normally show the reverse as we all seen the Special Constabulary Medal from that view. However, I don't think we've shown a Territorial Long Service medal in the section before so here's a photo of the reverse of the pair.

Regards

Brian

• 3 months later...

Gents

To keep the Special Constable thread going regarding please find attached one of my many Special Long Service Medals plus extras. I purchased this one a few years ago with its box plus a WWII Tag,ID Bracelet and a letter from the C Constable Leeds dated 6th Dec 1950 thanking WILLIAM STANLEY RIDER for his service "both in peace and in war. Much of the service which is now being recognised was carried out under difficult and dangerous conditions and we regret that we are again having to face similar circumstances."

The latter half of the statement reflecting the start of the cold war no doubt.

Rider's ID bracelet, on the front is engraved W S RIDER 245750 1918 CE ROYAL AIR FORCE and the rear highlights an address of 32 Nunroyd Rd Moortown Leeds 7 25 May 1940 and KGBS 93/1.

It is not often you get a little gem like this and although Specials Medals do not command a great price I am well pleased with this bit of WWI and Special Constable history.

Hope you enjoy.

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Indeed you should be well pleased with this grouping, very nice.

It just adds to my belief that the Specials were often people who were totally dedicated to serving their country and municipality not only in times of peace but also during times of war.

Thank you for posting this most interesting addition to your collection.

Regards

Brian

• 1 year later...

I have brought this exceptional post back to the top of our Police Forum - and pinned it for a few weeks.

The last entry was over 18 months ago and with a lot of new members there is probably a lot of new info.

that can be added.

Apart from that, anypost with over 45,000 views deserves to be seen and updated. Well done Brian. Mervyn