News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great topic and plenty of good info for SC collectors. Re some earlier discussion re the obverse types in this medal:

I have six obverses in the 1919 SC Long Service medal- if anyone knows of more, or other variations please advise!

I have collected the following (as per MYB description) obverse types:

GV(c)- crowned head Coronation robes; 

GV(e)- coinage head;

GVI(d)- coinage head 'IND:IMP';

GVI(e)- coinage head 'FID:DEF';

QEII(b)- coinage head 'BRITT:OMN';

QEII(c)- coinage head 'DEI.GRATIA'.

Keen to hear of any other types!

David

dpk@iinet.net.au

• 3 weeks later...

For the collector with any interest in Special Constabulary insignia and equipment, this thread is a must read. To say that the contributors provide a wealth of information would be an understatement. I just finished reading it, (all 34 pages) for the second time. The first time, I was looking for a particular badge. This time, I was trying to discover when the Metropolitan Police and the Metropolitan Special Constabulary wore the vertical stripes armband AND when both entities wore the armlet with horizontal stripes. Did they wear them alike at the same time or were the changes at different times? Which is the earlier version? when did both forces move the armlet up or down on their sleeve? As always, I would be grateful for any shared wisdom from the gentlemen of this forum. Thanks, Mike.

• 3 months later...

Hi All-

Further to previous posts re the obverse types for the Special Constabulary Long Service  medal, I have attached a photo of my 6 different obverses. I think that these are all of those that were issued but would welcome any information on others. Waiting for the 'old Queen' image to be used on this medal, as it is in some newer military medals! Not sure how the image will appear- the GMIC screen keeps putting it in upside down on my screen!

Cheers

David

Special.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps
    Putting the medals the right way up.

Hello David,

I like the side by side images of the different obverses of the SCLS medals.  Thanks for posting this photo.

I am reminded of a very good friend of mine from also from Australia with whom I correspond frequently.  Once in a while we will send an image that is upside down as a joke as I live in Canada.  I know it is an old and quite tired joke but we still think it's funny.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

• 2 months later...

Hello Gentleman,    I am pleased to report that I'm truly ecstatic over my recent, & most welcome find regarding an M.B.E. Award I posted about here somewhat recently. { RE: 1st Lieutenant George CRAIG, 2nd Battalion, Border Regiment. } I wasn't at all certain as to where I should post this, but as it primarily related to the Special Constabulary, I figured that this particular Sub-Forum was as good as any ? So, when I obtained this MBE, everything appeared to be proper & correct, other than it being unofficially named. Now yes, we all know that MBE's were not named, at least not officially. However, I have observed, & I'm sure that many other Forum members have observed 'un-officially' named / engraved examples over the years. Many Commonwealth Officer's & Other Ranks were find of having their decorations privately engraved, especially the gallantry awards. Also, I traced & verified this media's provenance back to 1985, & was fortunate enough to obtain a letter from the current owner to the prospective purchaser. In it, he details all it's relevant facts, along with it being named when purchased by him, from the U.K. circa the 1970's. So personally, I harbor no doubts as to it's originality. But I'm getting off track here. My real question here is; @>>> Did the WW2 era U.K. Special Constabulary have the Rank of Captain ? <<<@ I just learned the recipient served during WW2 with the ' Monmouthshire, Wales - Special Constabulary', & is 'reported by still be there in 1945', based upon information contained in his Wife's Will, a legally submitted document. ( Trying to get a copy of it, if possible. ) If anyone's interested in learning more about this seriously dedicated Officer, just advise & I'll Post a Link(s) to my Ancestry.com Tree for him. He initially enlisted in British Army in 1905 at age 16, & apparently was still serving the Crown in 1945, at age 57 !!! ( Yes, that's also noted in Wife's Will. ) Soooo, if any of our U.K. Law Enforcement / Special Constabulary experts would be so kind as to assist me with this, I'd be extremely appreciative.

THANK YOU

Best regards,   Dom Pastore Jr.  /  dpast32@aol.com

Edited by dpast32
    Added data

If he held a King's Commission in the rank of Captain he would have been entitled to use that rank in perpetuity and it would (presumably) have been shown on any named medals he was awarded. Most (but not all) Special Constabularies used police ranks. As to the position in respect of Monmouthshire, I'm not able to comment. An enquiry with the current force covering that area (Gwent Police) may prove fruitful, assuming your enquiry reaches someone with an interest, otherwise it may go unanswered. Most police forces in the UK no longer have any historical personnel records for the special constabulary.

Dave. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Hello Dave,   I THANK YOU very much for your kind reply. This particular M.B.E. is one of the most difficult medals that I've ever attempted to research !! Although I have managed to make excellent progress in some areas, the Captain's rank issue appears to be almost impossible to solve. As far as I'm aware, even if Craig's promotion was a 'Temporary' or 'Acting' type, it definitely would have been Gazetted, right ? I've searched all over, but can't find any reference to a Captain's rank except for one place. That place is within his late Wife's Will ( a legal document ), which refers to him as an Captain, H. M. Forces, Army. Also, per the "1939, England & Wales Register" he is noted as either being a member of, or having served in the "County Durham Special Constabulary". { Just in case it's needed, his home address on the 1939 Register was; 12 Oak Terrace, Bishop Auckland, Durham. } So, the above noted 'Will' is the only actual documented evidence of Craig being a Captain, other than as engraved on the reverse of his M.B.E. I've just contacted the County Durham Archives, hoping that perhaps they might have some information pertaining to their Special Constables, though I'm doubtful of my chances for success with this request. I would truly love to be able to 'fully' document Craig's life & service career. He really appears to have been a dedicated servent to the Crown ! He continued to serve throughout his lifetime  albeit in few different ways. He enlisted at age 16 in the Army, served 12+ years in the ranks, before being Commissioned in 1917 to the 2nd Battalion, Border Regiment. He served with them until his 1st retirement, in June 1922 when placed on the Reserve of Officer's. During this time, he served with the Special Constabulary, until 1939 - 1939, when given an Emergency Commission for the WW2 years. His M.B.E was for gallantry during the Tourmakeady Affair, of 03 May 1921 in County Mayo, Ireland. Ohhh, how I would just love to reunite his complete medal group !! I THANK YOU again Dave for your reply, & ask that you please let know if you ever come across anything else pertaining to Lieut. / Captain George Craig. Take care,

Best regards,   Dom Pastore Jr.  /  dpast32@aol.com

• 1 month later...
    On 24/11/2018 at 01:45, dpk said:

Hi All-

Further to previous posts re the obverse types for the Special Constabulary Long Service  medal, I have attached a photo of my 6 different obverses. I think that these are all of those that were issued but would welcome any information on others. Waiting for the 'old Queen' image to be used on this medal, as it is in some newer military medals! Not sure how the image will appear- the GMIC screen keeps putting it in upside down on my screen!

Cheers

David

Special.jpg

There's two reverses for the RUC/PNSI Special Constabulary Medal if that counts? 

Untitled.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello gentlemen. Despite everything that's going on around the planet this year, I've managed to forage through the back alleys and dung heaps, and have added a couple of long-sought-after trinkets for my Specials box. The white enamel badges are quite recent acquisitions and the the Glasgow SC armband is an exciting find. If you squint just right, you can make out the Glasgow coat of arms on it. I haven't seen another one like it anywhere, including John Green's wonderful book on Scottish Police Insignia.  

0-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

0-2.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Further to previous- there are now two additional EIIR obverses for the (1919) Special Constabulary Long Service Medal. The first was when the manufacture of the medal switched from the Royal Mint to the Birmingham Mint in about 1995. The Birmingham Mint version had a slightly less distinct or 'softer' look than the Royal Mint version, and it had a quite different suspender claw. Images show the Birmingham as a heavier style with more vertical claws while the Royal Mint version has a smaller 'barrel' and thinner more horizontal claws.

I believe Birmingham Mint lost the contract back to the Royal Mint in 2007 and it is said the Royal Mint versions from that time were of a 'lesser' quality than their earlier medals. Apparently the Royal Mint lost the contract again in 2018 to Worcester Medals, although I have not seen either the 2007-2018 Royal Mint versions or the Worcester Medals versions.

Absolute best reference re theses medals is Paul Brewster's great book 'For Faithful Service' published by OMRS.

SC LS Birmingham Sample Obv close.JPG

1919 SC LS ROLLISON Obv close.JPG