News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kevin - firstly, the archives. Contact the local radio station that covers that part of Northumberland and drop them a line with details. Offer to do a phone-in interview on air. I expect them to 'jump' at this - they always have to fill space - and who knows what the public might produce. I used to do this a lot on both radio and TV.

An interesting tid-bit of 'useless' info. The Northumbians are not actually of the same background as the Angles and Saxons. They were part of the ' Great Army ' that ravaged Europe and England in the 9th Century and who were brought to heel by King Alfred . This tribe - with it's prince, broke away from The Army and settled in Northumberland. 1100 hundred years later - we are, of course, all British.

Couple of nice Bradford truncheons - I have found - on photos - some of my remaining Bradford collection, I will post them and then you can tell me if you are interested ? Mervyn

Kevin - firstly, the archives. Contact the local radio station that covers that part of Northumberland and drop them a line with details. Offer to do a phone-in interview on air. I expect them to 'jump' at this - they always have to fill space - and who knows what the public might produce. I used to do this a lot on both radio and TV.

An interesting tid-bit of 'useless' info. The Northumbians are not actually of the same background as the Angles and Saxons. They were part of the ' Great Army ' that ravaged Europe and England in the 9th Century and who were brought to heel by King Alfred . This tribe - with it's prince, broke away from The Army and settled in Northumberland. 1100 hundred years later - we are, of course, all British.

Couple of nice Bradford truncheons - I have found - on photos - some of my remaining Bradford collection, I will post them and then you can tell me if you are interested ? Mervyn

He Mervyn, That would be great!

Kevin

As I have said on many occasions I like groups that include the Special Constabulary L.S.G.C. Medal. It shows, to me at least, that the Specials were indeed special in that they and were, and are for that matter, community-minded individuals.

Here is a group to PTE. F. (Frank) ROWE R.A.M.C. with the SC Medal and bar for 1941.

Pte. Frank Rowe joined the Royal Army Medical Corps and had a regimental number of 25, which I would think would have been an early enlistment. I have not researched this further at this point and when I do I will add the information to this post. He survived the Great War and served as a Special during the rein of King George V (post WWII). The bar suggests that he served through the Second World War and was also arawded the Defence Medal.

Now for some interesting things about this group. An attempt to erase the R.A.M.C. from the BWM and the Victory Medal has been made. The name and regigmental number remained untouched. It was as if he wanted to erase the memory of serving in the Medical Corps yet he was proud of having served his country during the conflict. Looking at both medals I could make out what I thought was R.A.M.C. Then checking the Archives for the name and regimental number I verified that this was indeed the correct unit. It makes me wonder what horrors he may have seen to make him want to erase the unit from his medals, and possibly his memory. Further to his credit, no matter what he had experienced during the war he went on to serve his community afterward and then through the Second World War. Yet another group of medals to a fellow of sterling character.

Regards

Brian

I thought I'd get my Special Constabulary brassards together in a display case, at least for a while. I like to change-up the display case once in a while. I have other cloth brassards but they are in another cabinet and there really wasn't room for them all.

I hope you like them.

Regards

Brian

They look very impressive framed. I will have some of mine sorted out in the UK - see if there are any different patterns.

I see you are now up to 11 pages - who would have ' thunk ' Specials could maintain this interest. Well done.

hello Brian,

Many thanks for sharing this collection. It is a great pity that more arm badges were not named with the issuing force, but I suppose they had more on their minds at the time! I will try and fish out a few more bits and bobs for this section which I find extremely informative. My thanks.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Brian - Pte. Rowe - I very much doubt if he tried to erase the RAMC. We find this damage to medals quite commonly - it is the relatives who think the Unit mustn't be identified - or, even worse, they erase all the details since they think it a disgrace to the family to sell something so personal.

hello Brian,

Many thanks for sharing this collection. It is a great pity that more arm badges were not named with the issuing force, but I suppose they had more on their minds at the time! I will try and fish out a few more bits and bobs for this section which I find extremely informative. My thanks.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I look forward to seeing your items.

I am really happy to see the support this thread is getting. I've learned more that I could have ever dreamed since starting it.

Regards

Brian

Brian - Pte. Rowe - I very much doubt if he tried to erase the RAMC. We find this damage to medals quite commonly - it is the relatives who think the Unit mustn't be identified - or, even worse, they erase all the details since they think it a disgrace to the family to sell something so personal.

Hi Mervyn,

Now that you mention this I do recall reading somewhere that this damage is sometimes done by the relitives. It is really a poor attempt and not "buffed" out by a jeweller. I will try to post a photo of the damage later today.

Regards

Brian