News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAF WW2 Polish Air Force Casualty Roll 1940-47

I recently obtained the Polish air force in the west roll of honour.

The listing includes Service Numbers, Surnames, Initials, First Names, Unit, Date of Death , Cause of Death, Where Commemorated and also where buried (if Known). Aircraft types, serial number and crew details have been recorded, so it is generally possible to establish the type of aircraft being flown and fellow crew members. 2293 names recorded.

Any members who wish to check out a name, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

Kris

That sounds like it could be very useful.

I only have a couple of combat reports documents to pilots of 303 Squadron who survived (I missed out on one of Josef Frantiseks reports as I could'nt afford it - I knew the vendor had bought it shortly before along with a batch of other 303 Squadron reports for half the price or less than he was selling it at I wish I'd got it though).

I have a grouping of documents to a Polish airman training n Canada, I must dig those out & see what the name was.

In fact I've just remembered that one of my 2 combat reports is by Zdzislaw Hennebeg, who drowned in the Channel in 1941, after being hit by flak whilst strafing ground targets in the area of Le Touquet-Abbeville.

That sounds like it could be very useful.

I only have a couple of combat reports documents to pilots of 303 Squadron who survived (I missed out on one of Josef Frantiseks reports as I could'nt afford it - I knew the vendor had bought it shortly before along with a batch of other 303 Squadron reports for half the price or less than he was selling it at I wish I'd got it though).

I have a grouping of documents to a Polish airman training n Canada, I must dig those out & see what the name was.

In fact I've just remembered that one of my 2 combat reports is by Zdzislaw Hennebeg, who drowned in the Channel in 1941, after being hit by flak whilst strafing ground targets in the area of Le Touquet-Abbeville.

Name: Zdzislaw Karol Henneberg

D.O.B.:11/05/1911

Service No.: P.1393

Polish Rank: Kaptain Pilot

RAF Rank: Squadron Leader

Awards: D.F.C.

Duties: Pilot

Squadron: 303 Squadron

RAF Station: R.A.F. Northolt

Service Details: 303 Squadron 2 August 1940; 303 Squadron 7 September 1940 (Flt Lieut); 303 Squadron 20 February 1941 (Squadron Leader)

Aircraft Type: Supermarine Spitfire

Mark: II

Serial Number: P8029

Squadron Code: RF-P

Date of Death: 12/04/1941

Cause of Death: KIA

Details of Death: Shot down by flak from Berck-sur-Mer airfield, France.

Operation: Rhubarb - Fighters Sweep over France.

Buried: No Known Grave

Memorial: Commemorated on Polish Air Force Memorial, Northolt, Middlesex (Panel 22).

Several photo's of Squadron Leader Henneberg at http://www.polishairforce.pl/dyw303zdj.html or for translated version with English captions http://66.102.9.132/translate_c?hl=en&...cSbGts89cvblewQ

Regards

Kris

Thank you, there are some photos on the site that I have not seen before, including of Henneberg & Zumbach.

Still not done, as is the case with most of my plans for framng medals & documents etc, is the framng of the 2 combat reports with photos of the 2 men & their arcraft plus details such as those you've posted for Henneberg & illustrations of the squadron nsignia & Polish eagle.

• 3 weeks later...

The listing includes Service Numbers, Surnames, Initials, First Names, Unit, Date of Death , Cause of Death, Where Commemorated and also where buried (if Known). Aircraft types, serial number and crew details have been recorded, so it is generally possible to establish the type of aircraft being flown and fellow crew members. 2293 names recorded.

Regards

Kris

Hi Kris

I have an early Polish pilot/observer badge made by the company J Knedler, it has the number 435 engraved on the back. Does this happen to correspond with any serial number or squadron? Thanks

Colin

Hi Kris

I have an early Polish pilot/observer badge made by the company J Knedler, it has the number 435 engraved on the back. Does this happen to correspond with any serial number or squadron? Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

435 does not correspond to any serial no. There is one Polish casualty (a staff officer) passenger who died aboard a 435 Squadron R.C.A.F. aircraft which crashed. I have no doubt there is no connection to your badge.

The number on the badge is probably a series number engraved at time of manufacture.

Regards

Kris

Edited by Kris D

Knedler only made pre-war pilot's badges. 435 was likely a serial # awarded to a specific pilot and may be traceable if the records still exist. Perhaps the Polish Army Museum in Warsaw may be able to point you in the right direction.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I will pursue that line of investigation. The number has been engraved by hand, not officially but perhaps it does relate to graduation number?

Cheers, Colin

Knedler only made pre-war pilot's badges. 435 was likely a serial # awarded to a specific pilot and may be traceable if the records still exist. Perhaps the Polish Army Museum in Warsaw may be able to point you in the right direction.

Greg

• 4 months later...

Regards

Kris

Hello.

I'm Polish Air Force collector.

I have several air Force groups. can you let me know of citation for VM and CV fo W/O Jakub Bargielowski

Regards

Kristof

Hello.

I'm Polish Air Force collector.

I have several air Force groups. can you let me know of citation for VM and CV fo W/O Jakub Bargielowski

Regards

Kristof

Hi Kristof

The "Roll of Honour" only lists those KIA and their service details as described in my initial post. Decorations are listed but not their actual citations. W/O Bargielowski is not listed on the roll, this would indicate that either he was not KIA or that his name is omitted.

Regards

Kris

Edited by Kris D

• 1 month later...

Hi

Please excuse me, because i'm way out of my depth here, but i'm trying to trace some information about my Granddad. I'm pretty sure he fits the criteria of the details you have, so would you be able to have a look for the name Piotr Bartys for me? The s in Bartys may be a special character and he was later known as Peter Bartys, but i'd be grateful if you could have a little look for me

Thanks so much

Sam

Hi

Please excuse me, because i'm way out of my depth here, but i'm trying to trace some information about my Granddad. I'm pretty sure he fits the criteria of the details you have, so would you be able to have a look for the name Piotr Bartys for me? The s in Bartys may be a special character and he was later known as Peter Bartys, but i'd be grateful if you could have a little look for me

Thanks so much

Sam

Hi Sam,

The name Piotr Bartys is not listed on the "Roll of Honour" or the Polish War Memorial at Northolt. Can you confirm that he was KIA or died in an accident during the period 1940 - 47? If not can you provide any details of his service ie: squadron, rank etc. and I'll try to find out further info for you.

If you prefer to pursue your own enquiries the following three addresses should prove useful:

Ministry of Defense

CS (RM) 2c

Bourne Avenue

Hayes Middlesex

UB3 1RF

England

(Records of all Polish servicemen in the UK during the war)

The Sikorski Institute

20 Princes Gate

London SW7

APC Polish Enquiries

RAF Northholt

Building 28B

Westend Road

Ruislip

Middlesex

HA4 6NG

0208 8338603

(Records of all Polish airmen in the UK during the war)

Regards

Kris

• 4 months later...

Hi Kris,

Could I ask you to post any information you may have on:

ZENKER, P/O. P. 76714, and

LUKASZEWICZ, F/O. K. 76761

I am researching Pilots who died while based at RAF Gravesend in Kent. I understand that both were in 501 Sqdn and believe that they were both were shot down over the English Channel in August 1940. I am particularly interested in information regarding burials/memorials, although I would be grateful for any information you can provide.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Kris,

Could I ask you to post any information you may have on:

ZENKER, P/O. P. 76714, and

LUKASZEWICZ, F/O. K. 76761

I am researching Pilots who died while based at RAF Gravesend in Kent. I understand that both were in 501 Sqdn and believe that they were both were shot down over the English Channel in August 1940. I am particularly interested in information regarding burials/memorials, although I would be grateful for any information you can provide.

Many thanks in advance.

Name: Pawel Zenker

D.O.B.: 25/12/1914

Service No.: P.76714

Polish Rank: Poruczenik Pilot

RAF Rank: Pilot Officer

Awards: NA

Squadron: 501 Squadron

RAF Station: R.A.F. Gravesend

Service Details: No 5 Operational Training Unit, 501 Squadron 07/08/1940 - 2 1/4 kills, 1 damaged.

Aircraft Type: Hawker Hurricane

Mark: I

Serial Number: P3141

Squadron Code: SD-W

Date of Death: 24/08/1940

Details of Death: Missing presumed KIA

Operation: Patrol - Lost during combat with Do 1

Memorial: Commemorated on Polish Air Force Memorial, Northolt, Middlesex (Panel 80).

************************************************************************************

Name: Kazimierz Lukaszewicz

D.O.B.: 25/03/1913

Service No.: NOT LISTED*

Polish Rank: Poruczenik Pilot

RAF Rank: Flying Officer

Awards: NA

Squadron: 501 Squadron

RAF Station: R.A.F. Gravesend

Service Details: No.6 Operational Training Unit, 303 Squadron 26/07/1940, 501 Squadron 07/08/1940

Aircraft Type: Hawker Hurricane

Mark: I

Serial Number: P3803

Squadron Code: SD-Z

Date of Death: 12/08/1940

Details of Death: Missing presumed KIA

Operation: Patrol - Shot down by German fighter

Memorial: Commemorated on Polish Air Force Memorial, Northolt, Middlesex (Panel 40).

* For service number or further details contact:

APC Polish Enquiries

RAF Northholt

Building 28B

Westend Road

Ruislip

Middlesex

HA4 6NG

0208 8338603

(Records of all Polish airmen in the UK during the war)

Regards

Kris

Edited by Kris D

• 5 months later...

Hi Kris,

I am researching military burials in Somerset. I have located the grave of Sl Szef

BEDKOWSKI, R in the graveyard at Quantock Road, Bridgwater, Somerset. He died on the 25/10/41 aged 22. Any info on him?

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Kris D,

I have a friend who has a grouping named to the following pilot;

The pilot's name is Marian Zajac, Service # P2092, Rank F/O.then F/Lt. Killed flying a Mosquito for RAF Transport Command. Previously awarded a DFM.

We would appreciate any info that you can give us on this chap.

Regards,

Gordon

• 4 months later...