News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Ooooooo! NICE roll! Are they ALL in that same detailed format? :jumping:

Not as nicely written as the Lippe-Detmold rolls, but EXTREMELY valuable with FULL birth data, first names... and the odd column even adding religious denomination! AND with big crossed out marks which must indicate RETURNS.

SUPER information there. I hope you are transcribing them all to publish! :cheers::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Hi Rick,

I write at the moment on an access databank with all orders and medals from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, but it's not comlete, because it's a very big job.

The Order of the Wendish Crown, the Griffin Order, the Friedrich Franz Alexandra Cross, the Friedrich Franz Cross, the Militairy Merit Cross with all numbers (without 1870, 1914, this years are not complete in the moment and I'm still working about this rolls) and some medals more are complete inside.

I hope my book about the orders and medals from Mecklenburg-Schwerin in complete in 3 years.

I will see...

I hope my english is understandable... :speechless:

Edited by seeheld

Guest Rick Research

:beer:

I thought I'd be "done" with Lippe-Detmold by now, and at the rate I can type (and type and type and type and... type) it will take me another two months.

It will never be "worth" it for the money that comes back to us, but as the old saying goes

"Somebody Has To Do It." :speechless::cheeky:

And who knows... in 100 years future collectors will be glad we did all this work so all they have to do is

look up a name!

Daniel and I have been using the same layout as the published Autengruber rolls, but adding information and noting ALL awards from within each state that we have rolls for. That saves flipping back and forth to see IF Person XYZ also had this or that award.

• 2 months later...

Here is again something nice from Detmold:

Denkm?nze auf den Einzug des Graf-Regenten Ernst 1897 (complete name, I don?t know the correct translation)

The ribbon is a new one, but the colours are correct.

It was awarded 1023 times...

Greetings

Solomon

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

595 times, actually, from the Rolls.

But then, we will not discuss-- at this point :rolleyes:

the horrifying reality of the RETURNS :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Word To The Wise:

If you see one, BUY it.

2007 may be down the drain for Rolls actually being printed, but in 2008....

once the rolls are published... :unsure:

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

And a different ribbon underneath

Oh yes, I remember it! I got the FAM Saxony from this destroyed medalbar.

It was IDed down to four possible owners (because of the 1905-medal) , a typical bar from a "Hof-Lakai".

By the way, the different ribbon is from the house order Lippe-Detmold !!!! :speechless1:

Best regards

Roman

Gentlemen,

Here is a rather rare 1816-1918 silver civil merit medal. I apologize for the quality of these pictures, but this medal is no longer in my collection so I am relying on rather old archival photos which lose some detail in conversion for posting.

Actually no photo can do justice to the engraving work on these medals which has to be among the finest, most detailed and best struck of all Imperial German medals. I hope that you all have the opportunity to examine one of these medals first hand.

Best wishes,

Wild Card :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

That is a very strange medal. 267 were awarded-- the last 3 of which were under the name "Paulinenmedaille." Although called the Silver Civil Merit Medal on Ribbon-- in 39 cases awards were made with the notation "without ribbon!"

It was awarded for everything from early lifesaving efforts to over 66 years working in the municipal sand pit. Two awards were made to women, and two--to children!

Only 8 returns were noted, but most of these awards were from well before the modern, systematic entries that began in 1905.

Guys--wonderful examples of these rare awards, as usual!

I'm sure some of you have seen this one on eBay already, but I was curious as to what any/all thought of it, as compared to mine in post #25:

eBay Leopold Steckkreuz

Realizing these are fairly rare, the one above has some notable differences--esp. on the reverse--from mine, and I was wondering if this is a possible variant, or perhaps even a wearer's copy, or...possibly something else...(?)

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have--my knowledge on this award only goes so deep, having only seen 1 or 2 over the years...

Gaffken

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have--my knowledge on this award only goes so deep, having only seen 1 or 2 over the years...

Gaffken

Hmmmm... I can not claim to have a lot of knowledge with regard to this order; but I must say that I have an uneasiness about this piece. When compared to examples pictured in Nimmergut?s Magnum Opus and ?Orden und Ehrenzeichen des F?rstentums Lippe Detmold 1778-1933? by Reiner Schwark, the differences are numerous. Suffice it to say that, in comparison, the ?L?s? between the arms on the piece under discussion approach the grotesque.

Don?t forget, only seven of these were awarded; and if I already have one, I?d be content with what I?ve got.

Regards,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

OEK 1105, Schwark 1.a.8.b

F?rstlich Lippischer Hausorden

Ehrenkreuz 2. Klasse (neue Form)

F?rstent?mer Lippe-Detmold und Schaumburg-Lippe

10.12.1887-26.2.1890

Gewicht: Kreuz 39,1 g Ring 2,2 g

Gr??e: Kreuz 68,0 x 58,6 x 12,0 mm Ring 19,0 x 13,5 mm

Hersteller: Carl B?sch, Hannover

with regards, Komtur.

Edited by Komtur

Hmmmm... I can not claim to have a lot of knowledge with regard to this order; but I must say that I have an uneasiness about this piece. When compared to examples pictured in Nimmergut?s Magnum Opus and ?Orden und Ehrenzeichen des F?rstentums Lippe Detmold 1778-1933? by Reiner Schwark, the differences are numerous. Suffice it to say that, in comparison, the ?L?s? between the arms on the piece under discussion approach the grotesque.

Don?t forget, only seven of these were awarded; and if I already have one, I?d be content with what I?ve got.

Thanks, as always, Wild Card--I concur with you on the "L's"; this Steckkreuz was just so different from the norm in so many aspects that I felt the need to canvas the masses.

Much appreciated,

Gaffken

Guest Rick Research

IMPOSSIBLE to say, since he is wearing NOTHING else-- so no clues beyond it is 1895 or later, and he is a Major? Oberstleutnant? Oberst?.

That appears to be an artillery uniform, though as a painting, more than that, I don't see. I can't even tell what his rank is supposed to be, let alone regiment.

While there are a number of officers zD and aD who have no branch listed, none seem to match as ARTILLERY.

Silly man, having a portrait painted in his everyday duty frock coat without even a ribbon bar! Duh!!!! :banger: