News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SWEET HEART BROOCHES - RARE SUBJECT

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"With the early ones there was quite a lot of 'snobbery'. Gold -especially if set with stones - was

generally regarded as only being for officer's wives and sweethearts."

I doubt there was any official regulation, probably a simple explanation... Officers were from a class that could afford Gold...

Lets not be naive here... there are cheaper ways of giving something to a sweet heart... and when she is yours, why waste good beer money on a silver trinket when you are getting it anyway? :whistle:

Ok, ok.... maybe because we are nice guys, we will by the girlfriend one.... knowing it is a bit like paying an installment for a horse that is already in your stable...

I am betting MANY of these were bird bait.... A way of going on leave and in a short time showing a girl you were not cheap, you were willing to give her a nice little gift, that the gift is not cheap, and she can show her friends what a nice badge she has.... and what about that little knee trembler after the movie?

If, in your grandmothers sewing box you find a nice small collection of these to different regiments... i bet she hid them from your granddad!!!

Or do I just have a dirty mind? :blush:

Good to see so many examples being shown. With the early ones there was quite a lot of 'snobbery'. Gold -especially if set with stones - was

generally regarded as only being for officer's wives and sweethearts.

Best one I ever saw is in a little-known museum in Edinburgh. From the Field Marshal Earl Haig collection. His 'sweetheart' brooch to his wife when he was commander of the 17th Lancers. Fantastic solid gold skull and bones, encrusted with diamonds, Well, he could afford it. His family were Scotch Whisky makers, after all! ;)

Another recent pick up here.This is a WWI period piece for the RFA and one i had to get as my grandfather was in the RFA at Mons in 1914.

It is very similar in design to the RDF badge that Noor showed in post #24.

I have seen quite a few of this type with the white enamelled background,very attractive pieces IMO.

Regards,Martin.