News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

West German Bahnpolizei

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to acquire an almost complete uniform for an Inspector of the Bahnpolizei of West Germany. I say almost complete because the tunic was not present. The search is on to complete the set. Here is a short blurb on the Bahnpolizei from WIKI.

Bahnpolizei

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bahnpolizei is the term in Germany, Austria and the German-speaking parts of Switzerland for the Railway police.

Germany

Bahnpolizei was the name of the former Railway police of West Germany and fell under the jurisdiction of the Deutsche Bundesbahn federal railway company. Bahnpolizei officers investigated trespassing on rail property, assaults against passengers, terrorism threats targeting the railway, arson, tagging of graffiti on railroad rolling stock or buildings, signal vandalism, pickpocketing, ticket fraud, robbery and theft of personal belongings, baggage or freight. They also investigated train/vehicle collisions and hazardous materials releases.

In 1992 the railway security mission was transferred from the Bahnpolizei to the Bundesgrenzschutz Federal Border Guard Force. The BGS had already taken on these duties in 1990 for the territory of the former East Germany, replacing the former East German Transportpolizei. The Bundesgrenzschutz was renamed Bundespolizei (Federal Police) on July 1, 2005, and this force is currently responsible for security and passenger checks on the German railway system.

Here is the uniform as it appearsed during the auction.

Thanks, Gordon, for sharing that. I don't believe I've ever seen one of those, even when I lived in Germany. I have to say the uniform is a bit "old fashioned" for the Bundesrepublik! Very 1930's looking in some respects. :rolleyes:

A lovely uniform - I do hope you are succesful in getting a tunic. It is interesting how different countries adopt a style - and no matter what happens - revert back to the shape. As Mike commented - very 1930's in the shape and uplift of the cap. Do thay still exist as a unit ?

Mervyn,

The Bahnpolizei no longer exist as an entity. They were absorbed by the Bundesgrenschutz (BGS) in 1992. The BGS then performed all of the duties formerly carried out by the Bahnpolizei. The BGS itself disappeared in 2005 when it became the Federal Polic Force. This was due to the EU requirements that Border Police should be absorbed into a regular police force. Since the BGS was so large they were simply renamed the Federal Police and it is their green uniforms you will see in German railroad stations today.

Regards,

Gordon

Since the BGS was so large they were simply renamed the Federal Police and it is their green uniforms you will see in German railroad stations today.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

The green uniforms are gone too. The Bundespolizei have switched to a blue uniform. All of the other police forces in Germany are in the process of switching to blue too. Below is the Bundespolizei uniform.

bekleidungbundespolizei.jpgbundespolizei.jpg

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Mike,

Thanks for the update. I knew that almost everyone was changing to blue, Berlin is having a problem with this as they can not afford it, but the last time I was in Germany the Bundespolizei were still in Green. Should be lots of green uniforms and yellow shirts coming on the market soon.

Regards,

Gordon