News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A 'smiley' old picture for a Sunday morning !! Actually it is very interesting - marking the start of 'mug' shots by the Police. I would date it to about 1870/80 and it was probably the centre double page in an issue of the Illustrated London News.

Most drawings of that time tend to show the Metropolitan Police (London) - as of course they should !! However, this is a Force with a cockscomb helmet. Could be the City of London - but, I don't think so, the arms on the helmet plates aren't the same.

Does anyone recognise them ? I also think this print is an indication that photography started in a provincial force.

The National Archives have some Victorian era mugshots don't they?

It's interesting that some of the photos I've seen illustrating books are more like good quality studio portraits, full or 3/4 length of seated subjects rather than simple face & profile shots.