News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Zuid Afrikaansche Republike Politie - ZARPS

BRASS MARTINGALE BADGE WORN PRIOR TO 1901

This police force was the mounted and foot police of the Transvaal. From 1881 to 1896, they formed part of the Artillery and were then formed into a separate policing establisment. The force consisted of 20 officers, 100 NCO's and 1400 constables. Less than half the force was mounted but, during times of war, the whole force operated as a mounted unit. The ZARPS gained a formidable reputation as fighting soldiers during the Anglo-Boer War.

Edited by sabrigade

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANGLO-BOERE OORLOG (WAR) MEDAL : BURGER J. A. J. COETZEE, ZARP's

This medal was awarded by the Union government to officers and men of the former Boer Republics for loyal service in the war against the British. Burger Johannes Andrias Jacobus Coetzee was a member of the Johannesburg Foot Police. During the Anglo-Boer War he saw active service at the Siege of Ladysmith; Pretoria; Witrand and many other smaller actions. It was at the Battle of Bergendal, Southeast of a town called Belfast in the then Eastern Transvaal, that the ZARP's involved would confirm their fighting capabilities and reputation. The Battle was recognized as the last set-piece battle of the Boer War and it was here that a force of ZARP's, 70 strong, help up and faced the advance of Buller's Natal Field Army. Burger Coetzee was one of them. Casualty numbers of the ZARP's vary for the action but approximately 19 ZARP's were killed and 19 captured. The rest managed to escape. Burger Coetzee was captured later on in the war and only returned to South Africa in 1904. He was a P.O.W. in India.

After the battle of Bergendal, Buller described the ZARP resistance to Lord Roberts as follows :

" The enemy stood their ground with great gallantry, and only left their position when the Rifles were among them and the Inniskilling Fusiliers on their flank, between 20 and 30 of them keeping up the fire until actually made prisoners. "

A valuable collection of very unusual items - and most viewers will not realise just how rare they have become. I just wish we could still buy them - where did you say you lived !!! I particularly liked the belt buckle - still with original leather.

To qualify for the Anglo-Boere Oorlog Medal, individuals had to lodge their claims on prescribed forms and these forms were listed with rank, initials and surname. Proof had to be provided that the member had not given his parole or oath of allegiance before 31 May 1902. Officers were usually listed for confirmation and in many cases the battles in which the applicant had taken part were listed. The Boer forces referred to the Battle of Bergendal as " DALMANUTHA". This is a copy of Coetzee's application which was subsequently approved and his medal was issued in January 1923.

When I look at these historical objects, I think it is necessary to try and think back to the period when they were being worn. Who was he ? Where were his family when he was fighting ? Did he get issued with this belt or, have to puchase ? Did he really want to fight - or, was it peer pressure and accursed politicians ? So many questions - so few answers - but thanks to collectors like Will, at least something has remained and been accorded proper respect and research.

(me being philisophical!) Best Mervyn

:Cat-Scratch:

:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

:cheers: :cheers:

Thanks!

Chris identified this for me years ago, but you have fleshed out the history! Thanks!!! :cheers:

I owe you a lobster and beer.

I bought it off the Portabello Road about 100 yards from Prospers' table in 1974 for 50p. I thought it might be a Dutch Napoleonic horse brass. It was mixed in with a bunch of Napoleonic prints, papers, a silver gorget and mothy scraps: good days.

• 2 years later...
    • 10 months later...

I second the above request: I'm looking to create a Second Anglo-Boer war ZARPS impression. Any photos or discriptions of uniforms,equipment and regulations, as well as patterns used to make the uniforms would be much appreciated.

I'm also wondering whether the ZARPS were issued a felt slouch hat or did they have to supply their own, like in the case of the rest of the Boer forces?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-36742400-1350919473.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-16110800-1350919342.jpg

I am not sure if I have posted these photographs before on the Forum.

This is the "entry point" to my ZARP and OFS display.

UNIFORM DESCRIPTION:

(This is a label I used for a display at the SA National Museum of Military History in August, 2011)

ZARP UNIFORM 1895

The Staats Artillerie uniforms and the later ZARP patterns were influenced predominantly by artillery regiments of the German, French and Dutch-speaking countries, while the influences from the British Royal Artillery were also noticeable. From approximately 1890, a unique police uniform began to appear and was recorded. In 1895, a contract was signed with a British firm, Gordon Mitchell of London, for the manufacture of uniforms. The tunic on display is made from dark blue serge wool edged with black mohair. It is fastened with hooks and ties. The letters “ZAR” on the right collar are made from brass. The cap is based on the British pattern 1871 shako or forage cap and bears the brass monogram “ZAR”. The trousers and boots that form part of this display are unfortunately not original but the trousers are an early SAP issue and the boots are black British ankle length hobnail boots similar to the hobnail boots originally issued to the members of the Foot Police. A brown leather belt with an ornate brass buckle with the “ZAR” monogram was worn.

ZARP FORAGE CAP

A forage cap is the designation given to various types of military undress, fatigue or working headdresses. In the British military, the forage cap was given a peak to give it a smarter appearance. The foot police were issued forage caps similar to the British Pattern 1871 forage cap. The cap has a dark blue band and has a brass “ZAR” monogram.

3RD BATTERY Z.A.R. STAATS ARTILLERIE BUSBY:

The “Busby” is the English name for the Hungarian headdress that was made from fur. It has a coloured bag hanging from the top and the end was attached to the shoulder as a defence against sabre cuts. In the Hussar form, this form of military headdress reached its popularity in the years before the First World War.

ZARP “BRITISH COLONIAL PATTERN” HELMET

In June of 1877, a white helmet was authorized by the British authorities for use and wear throughout the Empire. It is this pattern helmet that was adopted and uses by the ZARPs. Known as the Foreign Service helmet, the helmet was made of cork covered in white cloth with six panels. Peaks and sides were bound in white cloth. The spike is fitted into an acanthus leaf base. The spike, chin scales and helmet plate are all made of white metal. This specific helmet plate was worn prior to 1901 and, according to Curzon, was worn on “a white helmet by Foot Police”. Several manufacturers produced these helmets so “subtle” differences in design do exist.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-93040800-1350921172.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-44297300-1350921205.jpg

Z.A.R. Johannesburg Vrijwilliger Korps white metal slouch hat badge and slouch hat worn from 1893 to 1899.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-23793900-1350921632.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-26375800-1350921658.jpg

OFFICERS SWORD: JOHANNESBURG VRYWILLIGER KORPS

OWNED BY CAPTAIN J.P. JOOSTE

MADE BY GRAVELOTTE AAN ELBERS, HOLLAND

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-23793900-1350921632.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-3034-0-26375800-1350921658.jpg

OFFICERS SWORD: JOHANNESBURG VRYWILLIGER KORPS

OWNED BY CAPTAIN J.P. JOOSTE

MADE BY GRAVELOTTE AAN ELBERS, HOLLAND

MEMBERS OF THE ZAR VRYWILLIGERKORPS: JOHANNESBURG 1898

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: (SEATED) KORPORAL DANIE WAHL; (STANDING) SERSANT DANIE BRINK AND KAPTEIN J.P.JOOSTE- WEARING HIS SWORD THAT IS ON DISPLAY; (SEATED) KORPORAAL MANIE BREYTENBACH