News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff

• 4 weeks later...

Latest skull addition.

Fire-gilded brass, c. 1900.

5cm in height .............

Appears semi-Prussian, but came from a Brunswick estate.

Looks like it has 'three bones'. 

The other pix show similar 'three bones' TKs .............. and a Brunswick 'Black Duke' variant worn on early busbies etc. 

Another odd one.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Soldier on the left seems to have something too but the other has a definite pattern.

btw Thomas I've seen 1918 photographs with the front visor cut off m16 stahlhelme (not the visorless m18) you talk about in your blog, for example have you ever tried operating a 08/15 from a prone position wearing a standard helmet?

Troops wearing their wool caps underneath and what angle he is wearing when stood up come into play,you only really tell in profile of course, the wearing backwards in trenches by ie: mg personal I first noticed 1967 when I was studying Battle of the Somme for a school project.

Eric

Soldier on the left seems to have something too but the other has a definite pattern.

btw Thomas I've seen 1918 photographs with the front visor cut off m16 stahlhelme (not the visorless m18) you talk about in your blog, for example have you ever tried operating a 08/15 from a prone position wearing a standard helmet?

Troops wearing their wool caps underneath and what angle he is wearing when stood up come into play,you only really tell in profile of course, the wearing backwards in trenches by ie: mg personal I first noticed 1967 when I was studying Battle of the Somme for a school project.

Eric

I have yet to find a good, clear side view of the visorless hlmet, probably because most men faced the camera when their photos were taken.

It's amazing how left there is to rediscover about World War I.

• 2 weeks later...

What is this? Looks old, dark silver patina back....means nothing....

Details like teeth look not very sharp.

Ideas?

It could be the sleeve insignia of the Freikorps Elisabeth.

A German dealer offers it:

What surprises me is that both your insignias show the very same conditions and stains (check several places)

Did he just use your pictures?

Regards

Gilles

Edited by Gilles

What surprises me is that both your insignias show the very same conditions and stains (check several places)

Regards

Gilles

It was already in another auction and it is the second time for sale. It is the same skull.

Edited by Sergeant 08

Regards

Gilles

I don't know what this is. But, this is not FK Elisabeth. FK Elisabeth is completely different with much more fine detail than this poor quality skull.

Edited by bolewts58

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...